Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Yuriy posted:

When most goon arguments come from a place of moral superiority and self-righteousness it's funny/good to point out that at the end of the day all that shits boils down to "Do as I say, not as I do"

Maybe you just abnormally dislike having mean words said at you over the internet? Like if someone insults me I tend to just not care, rather than comb the internet looking for things to vanquish them with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Yuriy posted:

Imo it's very funny when people who are pro-labor and pro-communism are work-shy, claim disability for sad brains and have thousands of hours on steam

"Investigating their personal lives" is 99% of the time looking through your post history here and reposting posts you personally made

I don't really see how you can say you went over Zeitguiest's personal life enough to figure out where he worked without caring at all about the things he was saying. Granted, you're championing freedom of speech while saying bannings should be reserved for the "wrong sort" so this is fruitless as a discussion.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.

Popular Thug Drink posted:

Maybe you just abnormally dislike having mean words said at you over the internet? Like if someone insults me I tend to just not care, rather than comb the internet looking for things to vanquish them with.

What the gently caress are you talking about

If I didn't like having mean words said to me over the internet, why would I post on a forum that calls me a vodkanigger and a human being for liking pro-wrasslin'

Dogbrisket
Jun 10, 2009

PTD, do you not realize how humorous goon hypocrisy can be, especially the kind Yuriy pointed out?

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Effectronica posted:

I don't really see how you can say you went over Zeitguiest's personal life enough to figure out where he worked without caring at all about the things he was saying. Granted, you're championing freedom of speech while saying bannings should be reserved for the "wrong sort" so this is fruitless as a discussion.

If you don't see what's funny about a D&D bastion of progress regularly engaging in raceplay and beating his black slave, you are way, way more broken than we accuse you of

GAPO
Apr 24, 2014

by Ralp

Earwicker posted:

there have been forums and blogs complaining/mocking various aspects of SA since at least 2002 if not earlier, some of them claiming at times to have an agenda of making the forums better, but its kind of hard to say whether any have done so considering the various conflicting agendas, the anonymity and multiple account use by many of the people involved, and the rather arbitrary nature of those sites and of SA itself. i don't think there has ever a time when there wasn't some portion of the userbase complaining that the place was either too politically correct and/or too racist and misogynist (usually both)

Excellent points.

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

Your silence only incriminates you further.
I think that a certain kind of people feel like there is a diminishing amount of space for them to openly discuss their views and feel like this is a top-down effect that would be ended tomorrow if someone else is in charge. It isn't, though, and even if every moderator was removed and replaced people would still run them out of the 'serious posting' forums.

It's a lot easier to believe that when you have people like forbidden lesbian around.

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp
Like can you imagine posting LITERALLY THOUSANDS of posts of misogyny in videogames and media yet seeing nothing "problematic" with the idea that you get sexually aroused when hitting a women?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Dogbrisket posted:

PTD, do you not realize how humorous goon hypocrisy can be, especially the kind Yuriy pointed out?

Sure, but my point is that SS is hypocritical in their own way that they amusingly do not seem to realize. With the added bonus that they have to go out of their way to give a poo poo enough to google other posters just to own them. Really it's a difference of opinion dressed up as some kind of anti-SJW crusade or something.

Yuriy posted:

If you don't see what's funny about a D&D bastion of progress regularly engaging in raceplay and beating his black slave, you are way, way more broken than we accuse you of

Everyone in D&D makes fun of Zeitguist for being more liberal-than-thou. Like all of your complaints are overblown. It kind of makes me think you're just a whiner dressing up as a Reasonable Poster so that you don't have to admit or realize you're a whiner.

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Nov 4, 2014

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Yuriy posted:

Do you really believe that if it's funny, you didn't care at all? Do you actually consider being uncaring as part of your self-image?

EasternBronze
Jul 19, 2011

I registered for the Selective Service! I'm also racist as fuck!
:downsbravo:
Don't forget to ignore me!
I don't use racial slurs and I think generally they're rather low class but I find it less offensive that someone says "friend of the family" in my general vicinity than pretends to be black for E-cred on the internet.

GAPO
Apr 24, 2014

by Ralp

I'll grant you Aatrek was a piece of poo poo, but who else and why did you cause to lose modship?

I see no reason to rub salt I those wounds. I am not trying to provoke SA or anyone with this thread. And you are going to take exception with anything I post anyway, so there's really no point in responding to you, in my opinion. But the information you seek is easy to find.

liquorlanche
Sep 10, 2014

they have to go out of their way to give a poo poo enough to google other posters just to own them.

I don't understand what's so crazy about this. By "out of their way" you're referring to ctrl+t, and a mouse scroll distance of 80 pixels. I'm sure that's a workout, for you, but it's basically the equivalent of moving your eyes to see things just outside of your periphery. Or is your tunnel vision focused enough to the point that anything and everything you'd judge a poster on is purely judged on that single post you reply to?

client
Aug 19, 2010

Sure, but my point is that SS is hypocritical in their own way that they amusingly do not seem to realize. With the added bonus that they have to go out of their way to give a poo poo enough to google other posters just to own them. Really it's a difference of opinion dressed up as some kind of anti-SJW crusade or something.

somethingsensitive may be a site of tedious realposting sociopaths but doing owns is always good

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

GAPO posted:

I see no reason to rub salt I those wounds. I am not trying to provoke SA or anyone with this thread. And you are going to take exception with anything I post anyway, so there's really no point in responding to you, in my opinion. But the information you seek is easy to find.

The problem is I don't care about who mods this forum that I choose to post on. It's just not a thing that I think about really ever. So why do you care so much?

liquorlanche posted:

I don't understand what's so crazy about this. By "out of their way" you're referring to ctrl+t, and a mouse scroll distance of 80 pixels. I'm sure that's a workout, for you, but it's basically the equivalent of moving your eyes to see things just outside of your periphery.

It's a question of actually giving a poo poo who has a position of petty authority on an internet forum. I do not care about these things, so I do not understand why there is a seperate forum for people who do.

ryan8723
May 18, 2004

Trust me, I read it on TexAgs.

Sleepflower posted:

You mentioned most of SA not being suitable for SS, so what would you consider SS's target audience?

Anyone who previously posted in the SEC thread on TFF. Most of those people are gone now and the entire forum sucks dogshit for any actual football discussion. Basically if you watch sports and see social injustices rather than athletes doing amazing poo poo and coaches making fantastic or hilariously bad decisions then you should stay away from SS.

Also, absolutely no one from D&D is suited for SS because no one there has a job or any real world responsibility beyond "gaming the welfare system" and "raising awareness about otherkin and communism" and "putting thousands of hours into Steam".

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

liquorlanche posted:

I don't understand what's so crazy about this. By "out of their way" you're referring to ctrl+t, and a mouse scroll distance of 80 pixels. I'm sure that's a workout, for you, but it's basically the equivalent of moving your eyes to see things just outside of your periphery.

So if a coworker disagrees with you about football, do you remind him about the time his wife moved out for a week? That takes zero effort.

GAPO
Apr 24, 2014

by Ralp

I do not care about these things, so I do not understand why there is a seperate forum for people who do.

Like I said, completely myopic

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip
this is a lovely thread

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

The problem is I don't care about who mods this forum that I choose to post on. It's just not a thing that I think about really ever. So why do you care so much?

It's a question of actually giving a poo poo who has a position of petty authority on an internet forum. I do not care about these things, so I do not understand why there is a seperate forum for people who do.

This is a place to talk about whatever, hundreds of topics

A handful of people have taken their "petty authority" which should be used for being an internet janitor and used it to dictate what is allowed to be talked about, banning people they don't find personally funny or that disagree w/ them

That's hosed up imo

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Effectronica posted:

So if a coworker disagrees with you about football, do you remind him about the time his wife moved out for a week? That takes zero effort.

Can you be more specific about this football disagreement?

EasternBronze
Jul 19, 2011

If you're going to talk down to everyone about how self righteous you are at least take the time to hide your massive hypocrisy from anyone who can take five seconds to google your username.

As if you all wouldn't eat that poo poo up with an Evangelical Republican.

liquorlanche
Sep 10, 2014

Of course people are gonna give a poo poo. Not a huge poo poo, but a small poo poo. A poo poo just big enough to do a quick Google search. You have something fun. It's fun for other people too. Everyone's having fun, then the funny police come along and tell you to stop having fun, so you figure "let's see who this funny police officer might really be"

I don't really see how that's a massive, butthurt overreaction.

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

Your silence only incriminates you further.
I think doxxing people is a bad thing in principle because anonymity makes things more entertaining and casual, not to mention the creepy aspect it takes on when 4chan/reddit starts making rape and death threats.

Then again, if not for doxxing a known child rapist would still be giving people probations for saying mean things about The Big Bang Theory or w/e. OTOH, you doxxed T Finn for basically no other reason than to make fun of him being sad that his wife left him and how bad his romantic life was. Do you really think that was cool and necessary?

GAPO
Apr 24, 2014

by Ralp

Kewpuh posted:

this is a lovely thread

Welp, better gas it so no one else enjoys it!

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Kewpuh posted:

this is a lovely thread

You have probated dozens of people funnier and more productive than you for not using the shift key and you are one of the less bad mods

Maybe your discretion of what is lovely and isn't is flawed imo

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

GAPO posted:

Like I said, completely myopic

What impact does it have on the world if the moderation of Something Awful improves? Whose lives are made better, and how? Or are we still stuck it "it's internet funny/it's a good deed" conflict?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Earwicker posted:

Can you be more specific about this football disagreement?

It doesn't matter except as something as inconsequential as an internet argument. It could be about baseball, or hockey, or if GM will get its head out of its rear end, or whatever.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother
Something sensitive sounds like a totally chill forum

GAPO
Apr 24, 2014

by Ralp

Maarek posted:

I think doxxing people is a bad thing in principle because anonymity makes things more entertaining and casual, not to mention the creepy aspect it takes on when 4chan/reddit starts making rape and death threats.

Then again, if not for doxxing a known child rapist would still be giving people probations for saying mean things about The Big Bang Theory or w/e. OTOH, you doxxed T Finn for basically no other reason than to make fun of him being sad that his wife left him and how bad his romantic life was. Do you really think that was cool and necessary?

Maybe that one went too far. Some people wanted to hold Finn to account because they knew he wasn't with all the SJW poo poo, but did nothing to stop it.

In my opinion, our track record isn't 100%. Live and learn, I guess.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

GAPO posted:

Welp, better gas it so no one else enjoys it!

The fact that this thread went six pages without being gassed and now a mod shows up to say it's a bad thread: is this an example of excessive moderation?

GAPO posted:

Maybe that one went too far. Some people wanted to hold Finn to account because they knew he wasn't with all the SJW poo poo, but did nothing to stop it.

So in fighting groupthink, you shame someone's real life for having a different opinion?

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp

GAPO posted:

the fact that he was american and said things like "mate" and "gonna watch some footy" was really funny to me but the rest was pretty boring.

GAPO
Apr 24, 2014

by Ralp

What impact does it have on the world if the moderation of Something Awful improves? Whose lives are made better, and how? Or are we still stuck it "it's internet funny/it's a good deed" conflict?

The world? Zero impact. My forums experience? Different story.

liquorlanche
Sep 10, 2014

Why should anything ever improve? How does anything effect anything?

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost
This is probably the most boring thread ever posted on the forums.

EasternBronze
Jul 19, 2011

Is your goal here to have the most posts about a pointless topic in a thread you don't care about?

Dogbrisket
Jun 10, 2009

RonMexicosPitbull posted:

the fact that he was american and said things like "mate" and "gonna watch some footy" was really funny to me but the rest was pretty boring.

Finn in a pirate hat was really, really funny though

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother

GAPO posted:

Should he have moderated more thoroughly to stop the SJWs?

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp

Shelf Adventure posted:

Should he have moderated more thoroughly to stop the SJWs?

As an admin he could have told the cat lady mods to chill out when he had the chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

RonMexicosPitbull posted:

As an admin he could have told the cat lady mods to chill out when he had the chance.

Better post his home address and phone number!

• Locked thread