Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

One book that I feel gets overlooked far too much is A Pitcher's Story: Innings with David Cone by Roger Angell. It has some stylistic flourishes that aggravate the hell out of me (mostly Angell's insistence of using an article when naming a position player -- so instead of "the ball went to second baseman Chuck Knoblauch," he writes "the ball went to the second baseman, Chuck Knoblauch"), but it's such a well-written book and really illustrates life as a pitcher who was very good, occasionally great, and was always so frustrated by failure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Deathlove posted:

Miller was one of those people I was fairly ignorant about going in, outside of everyone sayng HE SHOULD BE IN THE HOF, and holy poo poo how is he not in the HOF it is because the writers are terrible people and complete toadies for ownership

Miller also actively disdained the Hall and said he'd boycott the ceremony if he were inducted.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

John Wilkes Booth posted:

The book was post-dated as Nov 1994 so it's no surprise that the strike wasn't fully resolved by the end of it. While it offers a minor insight into what went on, I agree there's no resolution in the final chapter. Were the book to be revised but a year later I think there'd be a lot more to talk about.

The best resource about the strike and its resolution is probably Ken Burns' The Tenth Inning.

• Locked thread