Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I picked it up from the library this weekend and haven't gotten a chance to crack into it because of finals n poo poo.

I think my version is the pre-strike version. I don't have it on me right this instant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I'm on Chapter 8, but I figure I can burn through the rest by the end of the week. Christmas this year was really hectic for some reason. Plus I got a late start.

For reference, this is the lead-in to really testing the reserve clause. Lots of contract holdouts, the first (short) strike. I'm just amazed by how obstinate so many of the owners and GMs were, even on things like marketing. "Giving out caps for FREE? What the hell?!" And what's clear is they still, decades later, don't grasp that the blackout restrictions on TV are actually hurting their visibility. Even on MLB.tv I'm stuck missing something like half of the Twins season because I'm equidistant from Chicago and Detroit. (Thank god I don't live in Canada.) Or at least, I would if not for proxy workarounds. Anyway, I'm ranting.

So far the only complaint that I have, especially at the beginning, is how nonlinear the narrative can be. He'll hop decades in the span of a couple paragraphs and I'll get a little shaky on the timeline of things. Anecdotes about stupid poo poo some owner did to some player 30 years ago that provided a somewhat tenuous precedent for what some other owner is doing to some other player, or backgrounds on a new owner that seem only tangentially related to the current narrative. For example, I just read about Howsam rebuilt the Reds organization, which was interesting and I enjoyed the story, but so much if it seemed almost completely unnecessary at that point in the overall story. Even though I know it really wasn't.

I guess what I'm saying is that the chapters and sections within them seem arbitrary, like a series of articles or term papers printed out of order. The information in them is still important, if not hard to follow. This is probably a lovely remark when a fifth of the way through, but I'm reading because of the subject matter at this point, not because I think it's a "good" book.

Yes I'm aware of the irony of the blackout tangent.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Finally finished the pre-strike version. Can anyone fill me in, because it ends sort of hanging, without any sort of resolution.

Beyond that, my thoughts are essentially the same as my previous post: there are some serious gaps in timelines, especially considering how narrative-heavy the book is. But it's worth reading for the 70s labor relations alone.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Timby posted:

The best resource about the strike and its resolution is probably Ken Burns' The Tenth Inning.

Probably the next thing I tackle, since I have a boatload of schoolwork starting in a week and a half.

• Locked thread