Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kundus
Oct 30, 2014
http://www.halfhill.com/inflation_js.html

I used this for the early $ conversions. Admittedly inexact (especially pre-1913), so use some big honkin' error bars, but good enough for me.

"The first recorded owner's wail over salaries came in 1881...The first recorded salary cap came in 1889. The owners set top pay at $2,500..."

$82k

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kundus
Oct 30, 2014
Gil Meche was so bad because of how explicitly he rewarded the goddamn awful org that broke him. More recent examples of just flat out walking away from millions would be Ryan Dempster and AJ Burnett. And it's not just guys who've already made bank who are doing it. Gerrit Cole turned down Yankee money out of high school in favor of :airquote:the college experience.

What's the Matter with KansasPitchers?

Kundus
Oct 30, 2014

Inspector_666 posted:

I'm not sure if I'm really going to call somebody an idiot for going to college over right into the MLB.

I came across as too harsh then, I wouldn't call him an idiot. As Twin Cinema mentioned to start this discussion, it's not a problem on an individual or even generational level, so the names were examples. Also I don't know if there's a much difference in quality of life between good NCAA baseball and the minors.

Kundus
Oct 30, 2014
If Cole signed with the Yankees and flamed out in the minors, he'd have $4 million.
If Cole had flamed out in his 3 years at UCLA, he'd have nothing.

That's the unnecessary risk/bad decision I was referring to. I'd consider the chance a college pitcher gets broken higher than a minor leaguer. I don't know if UCLA is known for riding its pitchers to death though.

Kundus
Oct 30, 2014

Groucho Marxist posted:

Cole ended up becoming the first overall pick so he's about the worst example you could use.

Bad process, good results!

Kundus
Oct 30, 2014
I concede! I used a bad example!

So, help me out here. Are there any players who turned down a big signing bonus where it failed? Appel did it, but it worked out fine for him. And I didn't know about the insurance, interesting.

Kundus
Oct 30, 2014
http://www.baseballamerica.com/draft/modern-history-unsigned-first-rounders/

Tyler Bedee was the kid I couldn't think of who wanted to do the college thing in lieu of money. Worked out for him!

Kundus
Oct 30, 2014
The best part of that saga is O'Malley's admission that they weren't even interested in trading Messersmith, they just didn't want to give him the right of refusal. It's a good example of the paternalism that the first part of the book is centered around.

JT_Dutch posted:

Messersmith simply wanted a no-trade clause, and O'Malley didn't want to give it to him.
Helyar references an unspecified "personal issue" (p 153) the GM brought up that pissed off Messersmith. One that Messersmith wouldn't elaborate on afterward, so presumably it's not the clause. I wish we had it, both because of its seeming importance and because it's probably good gossip.

Speaking of digging up dirt, the Yankees using a PI to go after Mantle in contract talks! Never knew about that, I bet that practice never catches up with them...

Kundus
Oct 30, 2014
I like that the book was published before the strike. Reminds me of cartoons from like 1938 warning of armageddon. If you got an updated version, though, I wouldn't mind a more detailed explanation of that part when we get to it, since a lot of us didn't get it :(

For a longer view, here's the baseball bux since 95

quote:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kundus
Oct 30, 2014
One of the best aspects of the book is characters who get mentioned whose role grows or changes after 1994. It reminds me that Tim McCarver's life's work is

The bad? Sharing a booth with Joe Buck
The good? Everything else

So, call it a wash. ;)

Anyway, other good cameos? I wouldn't really count Selig or Fehr, and the Fred Wilpon quote mentioned earlier is golden. Two that come to mind are the Suncoast Dome (the Trop) and George Bush, son of the president !! (W).

• Locked thread