Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
Got mine from the library earlier this week and it's already great, and I'm only 10% in!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
Just finished the Catfish Hunter section, it's good to know that my heart is right when it says gently caress the Yankees Forever.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
Oh, just because I'm a gossip whore - was it ever revealed what O'Malley had on Messersmith that was so personal that he wouldn't resign with the Dodgers no matter what?

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
Finished it last night. I knew it was an older book, but man, it is HEARTBREAKING that the publishing date is 1994. Surely nothing interesting happened then!

Although, I expected more out of the stuff on the '81 strike than there was.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

angrygodofjebus posted:

I have like 100 pages left and I've liked it a lot. The Ted Turner stuff in the first few hundred pages is pretty great, for one. I also didn't realize exactly how much Marvin Miller accomplished.

Miller was one of those people I was fairly ignorant about going in, outside of everyone sayng HE SHOULD BE IN THE HOF, and holy poo poo how is he not in the HOF it is because the writers are terrible people and complete toadies for ownership

quote:

I'd definitely be in for another month/book, which I assume would be a shorter read and with a much less hectic schedule for most people.

I'd be down for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Kundus posted:

Anyway, other good cameos? I wouldn't really count Selig or Fehr, and the Fred Wilpon quote mentioned earlier is golden. Two that come to mind are the Suncoast Dome (the Trop) and George Bush, son of the president !! (W).

Being a teenager when all the WHITE SOX ARE GOING TO FLORIDA OH MY GOD stuff was going on, it was interesting to see that covered a little more in-depth than I remembered from just the news clippings of my mind.

As a Cubs fan, I was buoyed/annoyed at how little the team was mentioned. I know there weren't a lot of ownership changes, and while they were certainly a big part of the Superstation era, that story was obviously about Turner, and since the book gravitated towards the bigger personalities/assholes, there wasn't a lot of room for "The Wrigley family owns the Cubs. They seemed relatively normal next to the O'Malleys and the Busches." So, yeah. I think if you're a Dodgers/A's/Braves fan, this book is way more interesting than if you're one of the less-mentioned teams.

• Locked thread