Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
It's happened recently, too - Gil Meche, who retired and gave up $12 million because he was injured coming into the last year of his contract, comes to mind.

I just ordered the book because I hadn't seen this thread, but I'm excited to start when I get it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
I just started because of teaching obligations but so far it's great. I have the updated version. He's really good at moving backwards and forwards in time without losing you. Also, what shits the owners were/are!

Discuss without me!

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
I just got to the ruling in the Seitz case (obviously I'm a bit behind!). Holy poo poo are the owners obstinate. I actually feel really bad for John Gaherin, since he seems so level-headed and patient even while working for a group of such assholes. But to be fair to both sides, (a) Helyar has some clear biases and he's extremely good at presenting the players' side favorably and (b) the owners are horrible monsters and sometimes reality does have a liberal bias. Christ almighty, Busch is basically a cartoon villain.

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
Joe Torre immediately springs to mind - I didn't realize he was so active in the player union, and his post-1994 career has obviously been a pretty drat good one.

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
I actually found the additions kind of jarring. It really only briefly covers the strike in 1994, without going into much detail as with the strikes in the 70s, and the revised edition still ends before the resolution of the strike. He tries to sound a hopeful note but it makes the book feel even more inconclusive. Also, the whole narrative of the book is that the players have always stuck together and the owners always lose cohesion, but in the last chapter he can kind of see that the owners are going to stick together and that there is going to be a luxury tax, which also makes for a poor fit.

• Locked thread