Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I am into this idea, I've really only read Baseball as a Road to God and Fair Ball, which I think 90% of other SAS baseball folks have already gotten to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

leokitty posted:

My copy of The Lords of the Realm arrived so I'm going to start reading it tomorrow. :)

I started it today on the way home from work and it's definitely not leaden prose.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I'm also about 10% through and holy poo poo some of these quotes are amazing.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
So, my mental image of Ted Turner is entirely based off of Will Forte riding a stuffed buffalo around Conan's show.

Reading about him in this book has done thing to change this. Is it OK that I think he's awesome and hilarious?

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Nov 18, 2014

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I'm not sure if I'm really going to call somebody an idiot for going to college over right into the MLB.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Also if you end up not making it as a MLB player you have a degree (from UCLA in Cole's case.)

Saying "I'm going to go to college rather than betting I will become an MLB starter" is not working against your own interests.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Harlock posted:

I wouldn't call them an idiot, but I thought (from what I heard) most ML contracts had some sort of clause to pay for college tuition. If you were truly elite enough to go right from HS to the Majors, wouldn't you go to maximize earning potential? If it doesn't work out, you have a paid college tuition to fall back on.

I hadn't heard about this before, and if that is the case then it would make more sense to go right into the majors assuming the tuition was 100% iron clad guaranteed.

I still think that opting to go to college rather than straight into the draft is a very different beast than "Don't give me a raise because my ERA wasn't elite."

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Deathlove posted:

Oh, just because I'm a gossip whore - was it ever revealed what O'Malley had on Messersmith that was so personal that he wouldn't resign with the Dodgers no matter what?

I was kind of amazed that in the book he just left it up in the air like that.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
The best quote in the book so far:

"I have more money in my pocket for lunch than those guys have together" - Fred Wilpon, talking about White Sox co-owners Reinsdorf and Einhorn.

Fred Wilpon sucks forever.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

The Pussy Boss posted:

You know who rules though? Ted Turner, and his UHF station, and his yacht, and playing poker w/ his players. Like, I get that he's an rear end in a top hat capitalist millionaire like the rest of the owners, but he's having so much fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guJL9AkRI8s

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Nov 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Kundus posted:

Two that come to mind are the Suncoast Dome (the Trop) and George Bush, son of the president !! (W).

I did think it was funny how quaint W's credentials were. And also the fact that even back then nobody trusted him with any real responsibility.

• Locked thread