Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

The Universal Baseball Association, Inc., J. Henry Waugh, Prop.
Wally Yonamine: The Man Who Changed Japanese Baseball http://www.amazon.com/Wally-Yonamine-Changed-Japanese-Baseball/dp/0803213816
The Lords of the Realm - http://www.amazon.com/dp/0345465245

These are three books I'd really like to read in this order. Thanks for coming up with this idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

As much as I want to read Universal Baseball Association, I feel it's only appropriate to read it alone so I voted for Wally Yonamine.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

leokitty posted:

Here's where we stand so far:

Lords of the Realm is 640 pages? Did other people know this before voting?

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

leokitty posted:

I have a 45 minute commute on the train each way and am a reading machine so I'm up for anything in a month or so except the Connie Mack bios (they are cool but really dense). :c00l:

Cool. Somebody else said it's an easy read. I was more worried about losing a lot of people who can't keep up. :smugbird:

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I read 10% of it while also dozing off on a short plane flight so it definitely moves.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

" In the nineties, Baltimore’s Camden Yards and Chicago’s Comiskey Park would take ballparks still further..."

I thought Comiskey has always been considered the last of the dinosaurs when it comes to 70s- 80's styles stadiums? I realize it was rather new when the book was written...

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

It's absurd that this book is $20 on Kindle. I'm happy for the author, though. I hope he's getting a fair share unlike everything else on Amazon.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Twin Cinema posted:

I am not sure that we need to finish the book in its entirety to have some discussion of it. I finished a huge portion of it last night (or what felt like a huge portion, but it was only the first three chapters). It's funny that the issue of player's salaries is not a recent invention, but something that has been around since the beginning of the game. Also funny how some of the players were so conservative, that they took issue with their own pay. I don't have the book in front of me, but there was the one player who had issue with accepting a $100K salary because he didn't have a good year.

I don't want to turn this into a political discussion, but people working against their own best financial interests is pretty relevant in today's economy.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Are there any recent MLB players you all know of who had families that couldn't cover college costs so they sacrificed their college eligibility and took late-round bonus money because they didn't have a choice? I know there are players who have done that because they just want to go pro but are there any players who have said they wanted to go to college but could not for financial reasons? I assume this has happened I just can't think of a player.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Deathlove posted:

Finished it last night. I knew it was an older book, but man, it is HEARTBREAKING that the publishing date is 1994. Surely nothing interesting happened then!

Although, I expected more out of the stuff on the '81 strike than there was.

I have the version that was updated for the 94 strike. Do other people not have that?

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I'm about 40 percent through (I'm at the part where owners want compensation after the initial free agency splurge) but but I will be able to catch up rapidly over the weekend and next week so I'm not worried about discussions starting without me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Has anyone written anything in depth about the near-contraction and then salvation of the Twins? After finishing Up, Up, and Away, I'm curious about their side of the issue.

• Locked thread