Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

LIVE RESULTS

http://elections.nytimes.com
http://www.politico.com/2014-election/results/map/senate/
http://www.google.com/elections/us/

LIVE TV STREAMS

Here's a list: https://gigaom.com/2014/11/04/2014-election-results-live-stream/

WHERE DO I VOTE?

Type in your address at http://www.vote411.org and it will show you your local polling place(s).

WHO DO I VOTE FOR?

My advice is to pick the political party that most closely represents your beliefs and vote for their candidates. If you want to research them more, there are candidate responses to a simple questionaire availble at http://www.vote411.org which is sponsored by the League of Women Voters.

ELECTION DAY VOTER REGISTRATION
If you live in these states and have not yet registered to vote, you can still vote!

• Arkansas
  • Colorado
  • Connecticut
  • Idaho
  • Iowa
  • Maine
  • Minnesota
  • Montana
  • New Hampshire
  • Rhode Island
  • Washington, D.C.
  • Wisconsin
  • Wyoming

And some locations in Cook County, Illinois (Chicago).

DO I NEED AN ID TO VOTE?

WHO WILL CONTROL THE SENATE?

WHEN WILL WE KNOW WHO WILL CONTROL THE SENATE?

Perhaps not until next year! Control of the Senate is expected to come down to a margin of a couple of seats, so each race will matter. There are a few Senate races where the outcome may not be known on November 5. Louisiana has a "jungle election" where multiple candidates from the same party can run on the ballot. If no candidate achieves more than 50% of the vote, a runoff election will be held on December 6. This is widely expected to happen. In Georgia there is also a runoff clause, but fewer candidates on the ballot to split the vote. Still, it is considered possible that the runoff election is held because the race is so close. That runoff would be held on January 6, which is actually after the convening of the next Congress.

Alaska may also delay the results. Because of the geography of the state, many people cast mail-in ballots. These are not counted until a week after the eleciton. If there are more mail-in ballots than the difference between the candidates, and that election is expected to be very close, then neither will be able to declare a victory until the count occurs.

There are also two independent candidates running for Senate: Greg Orman in Kansas and Larry Pressler in South Dakota. While there was some excitement about these races in October, the Republican in each election appears to have regained the lead and is expected to win based on current polling. Still, should these candidates win their elections they (along with current independent Senator Angus King) would be in a possition to decide which party to caucus with (or neither!), potentially flipping control of the Senate. Each of those three is considered closer to the Democratic party than the Republicans in descending order from Pressler to Orman to King. The other Independent, Bernie Sanders, has said he will not caucus with the Republicans unless they adopt a platform of raising the minimum wage to over $15/hr and single payer healthcare (among other things), so we can assume that's a "no".

POLL CLOSING TIMES AND RACES TO WATCH
All times Eastern (UTC-5). A time zone abbreviation after a state name indicates that the polls close in counties within that state that are part of that time zone. The races to watch will be listed in the section where the polls have closed in all counties. Candidates whose names appear in bold are expected to win their race.

4:00 AM

• Northern Marianas

5:00 AM

• Guam

6:00 PM

• Virgin Islands
  • Indiana (EST)
  • Kentucky (EST)

7:00 PM

• Florida (EST)
  • Georgia
  • Kentucky (CST)
  • South Carolina
  • Vermont
  • Virginia

Georgia Gubernatorial: Incumbent Governor Nathan Deal (Republican) vs. State Senator Jason James Carter (Democratic)

Georgia Senate (open seat): businessman David Perdue (Republican) vs. nonprofit CEO Michelle Nunn (Democratic)

Kentucky Senate: Incumbent Senator Mitch McConnell (Republican) vs. Secretary of State Allison Lundergan Grimes (Democratic)

Vermont Gubernatorial: Incumbent Governor Peter Shumlin (Democratic) vs. businessman Scott Milne (Republican)

Virginia Senate: Incumbent Senator Mark Warner vs. former RNC Chairman Ed Gillespie (Republican)

7:30 PM

• North Carolina
  • Ohio
  • West Virginia

North Carolina Senate: Incumbent Senator Kay Hagan (Democratic) vs. State House Speaker Thom Tillis (Republican)

Ohio Gubernatorial: Incumbent Governor John Kasich (Republican) vs. Cuyahoga County Executive Ed FitzGerald (Democratic)

West Virginia Senate (open seat): US Representative Shelley Capito (Republican) vs. Secretary of State Natalie Tennant (Democratic)

8:00 PM

• Alabama
  • Connecticut
  • Delaware
  • District of Columbia
  • Florida (CST)
  • Illinois
  • Kansas (CST)
  • Maine
  • Maryland
  • Massachusetts
  • Michigan (EST)
  • Mississippi
  • Missouri
  • New Hampshire
  • New Jersey
  • Oklahoma
  • Pennsylvania
  • Rhode Island
  • South Dakota (CST)
  • Tennessee
  • Texas (CST)

Alabama Senate: Incumbent Senator Jefferson Beauregard Sessions III (Republican) vs. nobody

Connecticut Gubernatorial: Incumber Governor Dan Malloy (Democratic) vs. former Ambassador to Ireland Tom Foley (Republican)

Delaware Senate: Incumbent Senator Chris Coons (Democratic) vs. businessman Kevin Wade (Republican)

District of Columbia Mayoral: Councilmember Muriel Bowser (Democratic) vs. Councilmember David Catania (Independent)

Florida Gubernatorial: Incumbent Governor Rick Scott (Republican) vs. former Governor Charlie Crist (Democratic, formerly Republican)

Illinois Gubernatorial: Incumbent Governor Pat Quinn (Democratic) vs. businessman Bruce Rauner (Republican)

Illinois Senate: Incumbent Senator Dick Durbin (Democratic) vs. State Senator Jim Oberweis (Republican)

Maine Gubernatorial: Incumbent Governor Paul LePage (Republican) vs. US Represenative Mike Michaud (Democratic) and businessman Eliot Cutler (Independent)

Maine Senate: Incumbent Senator Susan Collins (Republican) vs. ACLU Director Shenna Bellows (Democratic)

Maryland Gubernatorial (open seat): Lt. Governor Anthony Brown (Democratic) vs. businessman Larry Hogan (Republican)

Massachusetts Governor (open seat): Attorney General Martha Coakley (Democratic) vs. businessman Charlie Baker (Republican)

Massachusetts Senate: Incumbent Senator Ed Markey (Democratic) vs. Hopkinton Selectman Brian Herr (Republican)

Mississippi Senate: Incumbent Senator Thad Cochran (Republican) vs. former US Representative Travis Childers (Democratic)

New Hampshire Senate: Incumbent Senator Jeanne Shaheen (Democratic) vs. former Massachusetts Senator Scotty Bqhatevwr (Republican)

New Jersey Senate: Incumbent Senator Cory Booker (Democratic) vs. former Nixon campaign staffer Jeff Bell (Republican)

Oklahoma Senate (open seat): US Representative James Lankford (Republican) vs. State Senator Connie Johnson (Democratic)

Pennsylvania Gubernatorial: Incumbent Governor Tom Corbett (Republican) vs. businessman Tom Wolf (Democratic)

Rhode Island Gubernatorial (open seat): General Treasurer Gina Raimondo (Democratic) vs. Cranston Mayor Allan Fung (Republican)

Rhode Island Senate: Incumbent Senator Jack Reed (Democratic) vs. businessman Mark Zaccaria (Republican)

Tennessee Gubernatorial: Incumbent Governor Bill Halsam (Republican) vs. retired engineer Charlie Brown (Democratic)

Tennessee Senatorial: Incumbent Senator Lamar! Alexander (Republican) vs. lawyer Gordon Ball (Democratic)

8:30 PM

• Arkansas

Arkansas Senate: Incumbent Senator Mark Pryor (Democratic) vs. US Representative Tom Cotton (Republican)

Arkansas Gubernatorial (open seat): former Secretary for Border and Transportation Security Asa Hutchinson (Republican) vs. former US Representative Mike Ross (Democratic)

9:00 PM

• Arizona
  • Colorado
  • Kansas (MST)
  • Louisiana
  • Michigan (CST)
  • Minnesota
  • Nebraska
  • New Mexico
  • New York
  • Sout Dakota (MST)
  • Texas (MST)
  • Wisconsin
  • Wyoming

Arizona Gubernatorial (open seat): Treasurer Doug Ducey (Republican) vs. Board of Regents Chairman Fred DuVal (Democratic)

Colorado Gubernatorial: Incumbent Governor John Hickenlooper (Democratic) vs. former US Representative Bob Beauprez (Republican)

Colorado Senate: Incumbent Senator Mark Udall (Democratic) vs. US Representative Cory Gardner (Republican)

Kansas Gubernatorial: Incumbent Governor Sam Brownback (Republican) vs. State Representative Paul Davis (Democratic)

Kansas Senate: Incumbent Senator Pat Roberts (Republican) vs. businessman Greg Orman (Independent)

Louisiana Senate: Incumbent Senator Mary Landrieu (Democratic) vs. US Representative Bill Cassidy (Republican) and six other candidates

Michigan Gubernatorial: Incumbent Governor Rick Snyder (Republican) vs. former US Representative Mark Schauer (Democratic)

Michigan Senate (open seat): US Represenative Gary Peters (Democratic) vs. former Secretary of State Terri Lynn Land (Republican)

Minnesota Senate: Incumbent Senator Al Franken (Democraticic Farmer Labor) vs. businessman Mike McFadden (Republican)

Minnesota Gubernatorial: Incumbent Governor Mark Dayton (Democratic Farmer Labor) vs. Hennepin County Commissioner Jeff Johnson (Republican)

Nebraska Senate (open seat): university president Ben Sasse (Republican) vs. lawyer Dave Domina (Democratic)

Nebraska Gubernatorial (open seat): businessman Pete Ricketts (Republican) vs. university regent Chuck Hassebrook (Democratic)

New Mexico Senate: Incumbent Senator Tom Udall (Democratic) vs. businessman Allen Weh (Republican)

New Mexico Gubernatorial: Incumbent Governor Susana Martinez (Republican) vs. Attorney General Gary King (Democratic)

New York Gubernatorial: Incumbent Governor Andrew Cuomo (Democratic?) vs. Westchester County Executive Rob Astorino (Republican)

South Dakota Senate (open seat): former Governor Mike Rounds (Republican) vs. former Senate staffer Rick Weiland (Democratic) vs. former Senator Larry Pressler (Independent formerly Republican)

South Dakota Gubernatorial: Incumbent Governor Dennis Daugaard (Republican) vs. State Representative Susan Wismer (Democratic)

Texas Gubernatorial (open seat): Attorney General Greg Abbott (Republican) vs. State Senator Wendy Davis (Democratic)

Texas Lt. Gubernatorial (open seat): State Senator Dan Patrick (Republican) vs. State Senator Leticia van de Putte (Democratic)

Texas Senate: Incumbent Senator John Cornyn (Republican) vs. doctor David Alameel (Democratic)

Wisconsin Gubernatorial: Incumbent Governor Scott Walker (Republican) vs. Madison Board of Education Member Mary Burke (Democratic)

Wyoming Gubernatorial: Incumbent Governor Matt Mead (Republican) vs. businessman Pete Gosar (Democratic)

Wyoming Senate: Incumbent Senator Mike Enzi (Republican) vs. Catholic priest Charlie Hardy (Democratic)

10:00 PM

• Idaho (MST)
  • Iowa
  • Montana
  • Nevada
  • North Dakota (CST)
  • Oregon (MST)
  • Utah

Iowa Senate: US Representative Bruce Braley (Democratic) vs. State Senator Joni Ernst (Republican)

Iowa Gubernatorial: Incumbent Governor Terry Branstad (Republican) vs. State Senator Jack Hatch (Democratic)

Montana Senate (open seat): US Representative Steve Daines (Republican) vs. State Representative Amanda Curtis (Democratic)

Nevada Gubernatorial: Incumbent Governor Brian Sandoval (Republican) vs. former Director of Tourism Bob Goodman (Democratic)

11:00 PM

• California
  • Idaho (PST)
  • North Dakota (MST)
  • Oregon (PST)
  • Washington
  • Hawai'i

California Gubernatorial: Incumbent Governor Jerry Brown (Democratic) vs. former Assistant Treasury Secretary Neel Kashkari (Republican)

Idaho Gubernatorial: Incumbent Governor Butch Otter (Republican) vs. Boise School District Board of Trustees President A.J. Balukoff (Democratic)

Idaho Senate: Incumbent Senator Jim Risch (Republican) vs. Nels Mitchell (Democratic)

Oregon Senate: Incumbent Senator Jeff Merkley (Democratic) vs. doctor Monica Wehby (Republican)

Oregon Gubernatorial: Incumbent Governor John Kitzhaber (Democratic) vs. State Representative Dennis Richardson (Republican)

Hawai'i Senate: Incumbent (by appointment) Senator Brian Schatz (Democratic) vs. former State Representative Cam Cavasso (Republican)

Hawai'i Gubernatorial (open seat): State Senator David Ige (Democratic) vs. former Lt. Governor Duke Aiona (Republican)

12:00 AM

• Alaska (AKST)
  • American Samoa

1:00 AM

• Alaska (HAST)

Alaska Senate: Incumbent Senator Mark Begich (Democratic) vs. former Alaska Natural Resources Commissioner Dan Sullivan (Republican)

Alaska Gubernatorial: Incumbent Governor Sean Parnell (Republican) vs. former Mayor of Valdez Bill Walker (Independent Democratic former Republican)

Joementum fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Nov 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Thanks for the thread!

Why is Cook unwilling to make any predictions? Everything is a tossup in their minds?

Don We Now
Apr 18, 2005

For those of you who don't habla espanola, "El Poptart" is Spanish for.... The Poptart.

holy loving poo poo you guys midterms i wonder whats gonna happen

UberAaron
Feb 11, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Wait, what?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I eagerly look forward to our new senator in Iowa being another Sarah Palin clone.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

UberAaron posted:

Wait, what?

I actually saw that bit live and I still have no loving clue.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

What a depressingly frank thread title.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I actually saw that bit live and I still have no loving clue.

The outgoing incumbent Senator Harkin in Kansas said that just because Joni Ernst is as beautiful as Taylor Swift that's no reason to vote for her.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2014/11/03/iowa-harkin-senate-ernst/18402807/

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:
Already bottling my tears so Republicans can drink them.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
Now that's entrepreneurship.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Amongst the important races, you forgot
  • Rural Michigan township supervisor: loving nobody Ofaloaf vs. the current township clerk

Still have no idea how that race is going to turn out.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit
There are days I miss the deep delusions and categorical denial of reality my schizophrenia allowed me to live in before I started medication. Today is likely to be one of those days.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Ofaloaf posted:

Amongst the important races, you forgot
  • Rural Michigan township supervisor: loving nobody Ofaloaf vs. the current township clerk

Still have no idea how that race is going to turn out.

Set up a yardsign across from your opponent's home, record them taking it down, have the property owner insist on filing charges and make a contribution to your county sherriff. Even if you lose, you could still win by using The Cicero Method [tm]

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
I am ready to cast my vote for Dave Domina, Chuck Hassebrook, Dennis Crawford, Patty Pansing-Brooks, and for Initiative 425 (minimum wage increase).

I expect every candidate to lose and the initiative to barely pass. C'mon Nebraska make me proud :smith:. Also please Brad Ashford, beat out Lee Terry.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
I mailed in my ballot in mid-October, threw another vote onto the pile of Southern Alameda County Democratic votes that'll help bury Lex Luthor and hopefully keep Honda in the House.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The current count of mail-in ballots in Alaska is 28,260, with 14,239 requested ballots outstanding, which represents about 1% of the expected election turnout. Keep in mind that these ballots are not counted until a week after the election, so if the vote margin is less than that number with all precincts reported tomorrow (or Wednesday in most parts of the US by that time), it ain't over.

edit: Had the wrong number. 20,577 is the current early vote tally.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Finally taking a look at smaller races on my ballot, and the republican running against the incumbent democrat for my districts House seat has a listed profession of "Supermarket Cashier." Way to find a high-profile candidate :allears:

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Joementum posted:

The current count of mail-in ballots in Alaska is 28,260, with 14,239 requested ballots outstanding, which represents about 1% of the expected election turnout. Keep in mind that these ballots are not counted until a week after the election, so if the vote margin is less than that number with all precincts reported tomorrow (or Wednesday in most parts of the US by that time), it ain't over.

edit: Had the wrong number. 20,577 is the current early vote tally.

Technically it wouldn't be over, but any margin greater than ~0.66% couldn't be flipped without a more-than-2-to-1 margin on mail-in ballots in favor of the candidate that's down tomorrow night. If the margin is greater than 0.66% it would be a challenge to eke out a win despite losing on election night.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I voted for Charlie Crist as the lesser of two evils. Gonna go drink for a bit. :( How did it come to this...

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

The Glumslinger posted:

Finally taking a look at smaller races on my ballot, and the republican running against the incumbent democrat for my districts House seat has a listed profession of "Supermarket Cashier." Way to find a high-profile candidate :allears:
I'm fresh out of college and didn't know what the gently caress to put down for that, in the local media's coverage of races. My first answer of 'community volunteer' got a "loving seriously?" response by the reporter getting that article all sorted, so then I answered truthfully and too precisely with 'substitute teacher', so now that's just sitting there not looking terribly impressive.

Should've just said 'educator'. :doh:

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Node posted:

I eagerly look forward to our new senator in Iowa being another Sarah Palin clone.

to be fair ernst has actual toughguy cred rather than just playing at it on tv, but that doesn't help with the whole insanity thing

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I was looking forward to kicking back with a pizza and enjoying election night coverage.

And then I remembered I bought opening night tickets for Interstellar. I won't get back home until midnight, by which time my state's (GA) races will be called. My only hope for Senate suspense is Iowa's polls closing at 10pm ET and Alaska closing at midnight ET.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Josh Lyman posted:

I won't get back home until midnight, by which time my state's (GA) races will be called.

I wouldn't be so sure about that.

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

MY POSTS ARE REAL RETARDED, SIR
Already voted straight ticket blue in Colorado. The Republican candidates here are all kinds of awful. I remembered talking to a campaigner circa 2008. He told me, at least in Colorado, that mail in/early voters were overwhelmingly Democrat. Let's hope for a lot of early voters.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

Ofaloaf posted:

I'm fresh out of college and didn't know what the gently caress to put down for that, in the local media's coverage of races. My first answer of 'community volunteer' got a "loving seriously?" response by the reporter getting that article all sorted, so then I answered truthfully and too precisely with 'substitute teacher', so now that's just sitting there not looking terribly impressive.

I would vote for you so hard.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all

Don We Now posted:

holy loving poo poo you guys midterms i wonder whats gonna happen

Did everyone know about these? Am I the only one who just found out about them recently?

When I was 18 everyone was screaming about voting; teachers, family, internet ,TV but in 2010 no one said poo poo about midterm elections.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Tomorrows beverage of choice is Eagle Rare 10 year, neat with a chaser of tears.

My buddy is the executive director of the SC Democratic Party and he's so excited to not to have to pretend that they'll succeed any more.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
This is going to hurt.

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

I'll be feasting on Ethiopian food. Nobody can ever be sad while doing that.

Svanja
Sep 19, 2009
It was depressing voting in Texas and already knowing the outcome, but I won't cry over it.

I will eat a lot of chocolate, though.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Ofaloaf posted:

sounds like you need to hire a media director who has over a decade of experience in front of and behind the camera.

sounds like you need fiz

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Ofaloaf posted:

Go with "Consulting Educational Professional"

or just say you teach

next time you get mailed a survey/candidate questionaire, post it on SA or PM some of us to know what you're really being asked and why you should give a very precise answer how we recommend

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Svanja posted:

It was depressing voting in Texas and already knowing the outcome, but I won't cry over it.

I will eat a lot of chocolate, though.

Myself I just got a bottle of scotch.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Ghetto Prince posted:

Did everyone know about these? Am I the only one who just found out about them recently?

When I was 18 everyone was screaming about voting; teachers, family, internet ,TV but in 2010 no one said poo poo about midterm elections.

I don't understand how this is possible.

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo
Voting straight D in Utah tomorrow in order to cancel out a Mormon co workers vote. Yay democracy! In other news with Matheson retiring the Republicans can finally get their token black female into the house.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

RocktheCaulk posted:

Voting straight D in Utah tomorrow in order to cancel out a Mormon co workers vote. Yay democracy! In other news with Matheson retiring the Republicans can finally get their token black female into the house.

She's actually down in the polls :laugh:

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
I just hope we get more quality reporting as always in terms of who is up and who is down:

:derp: 15 ahead! Dead even! Landslide the other way! :derp:

At least I'm fairly confident in Al Franken being reelected in MN. I like Al a good bit.

Also the MN GOP put out this radio spot against DFL Governor Dayton's reelection in the last couple days:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcsuuP_LIds

"I'm not gonna panic about Ebola but IF EBOLA COMES TO MINNESOTA WE'LL ALL DIE IF DAYTON IS GOVERNOR JUST LIKE HOW HE hosed UP THE HEALTH EXCHANGE WEBSITES!" :supaburn:

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Nov 4, 2014

Ganon
May 24, 2003
Early numbers looking bad for CO & IA http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/unskewed-polls-early-voting-edition/

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

As in 2012, the polls are not skewed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo

Joementum posted:

She's actually down in the polls :laugh:

For real? Wow that's amazing, she was up 9 points a few weeks ago. I can't be to surprised though, one of my grad school colleagues works on a lot of Republican campaigns and said her teams strategy was "Don't let her talk to the public or meet people".

• Locked thread