Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.

Ofaloaf posted:

Amongst the important races, you forgot
  • Rural Michigan township supervisor: loving nobody Ofaloaf vs. the current township clerk

Still have no idea how that race is going to turn out.

Good luck bro!

I'd rather not join the depression parade before any of the results come in but I will say I pledge my soul to Satan if Grimes wins. Please, Lord of Darkness, come through for us in this hour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
election projections: turnout fails to exceed expectations

:smith: Already drinking. Tomorrows gonna be nothing but siting in a holiday inn and not letting someone out of the room nor have access to their cell phone nor let them turn on TV until after a certain time

God speed field goons, ye jobs are almost over; good luck transitioning into a federal job in those squeakers out there

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
I predict the GOP wins 51-52 seats. Hopefully I'll be wrong, but I doubt it.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Charlz Guybon posted:

I predict the GOP wins 51-52 seats. Hopefully I'll be wrong, but I doubt it.

I'm holding out hope either Colorado or Iowa (or both) go Dems' way and they somehow hold onto at least 50 seats.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
As a Canadian, my feelings towards all American elections that I've witnessed thus far have been a mix of :munch: and :stonk:. Sometimes at the same time.

This one feels like it might be more :stonk: though.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities
So Mitch McConnell will be in control of Senate rules, and will be able to have an even greater level of influence over appointments, including SCOTUS nominees.

But hey, why vote tomorrow because Democrats and Republicans are the same?:v:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Majorian posted:

So Mitch McConnell will be in control of Senate rules, and will be able to have an even greater level of influence over appointments, including SCOTUS nominees.

But hey, why vote tomorrow because Democrats and Republicans are the same?:v:
People are too stupid to understand how government works. Only nerds pay attention in high school government class. :smug:

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.

HBNRW posted:

As a Canadian, my feelings towards all American elections that I've witnessed thus far have been a mix of :munch: and :stonk:. Sometimes at the same time.

This one feels like it might be more :stonk: though.

There's always :suspense:

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
All set up as PC to get people to vote when the polls open in 30 minutes. We are set up in the commons area of a "sunset community" so our "seasoned citizens" can easily get to the polls. It's right across the road from a cluster of lower income housing so it's actually a good location.

We already had a republican worker here verbally abuse an elderly woman who showed up with a question ("we don't open until 6, now LEAVE!") so badly that the woman announced she wouldn't be voting and went back upstairs.

This is your democracy America, cherish it.

Ofaloaf posted:

Amongst the important races, you forgot
  • Rural Michigan township supervisor: loving nobody Ofaloaf vs. the current township clerk

Still have no idea how that race is going to turn out.

We're pulling for you!

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

My Imaginary GF posted:

election projections: turnout fails to exceed projections

This is already false

http://politics.blog.ajc.com/2014/11/01/african-american-share-of-early-ballots-up-10-percent-over-2010/#__federated=1

It probably won't be enough, but still, it is something to be happy about that we are seeing historically oppressed groups that usually don't turn out for midterms aggressively turn out to vote

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

And owing to a worker shortage and needs must I am now acting as clerk rather than as PC. Which is bad but it comes down to the fact a lot of volunteers bailed at last minute. Pretty sure I'm not allowed to do my PC duties now, but I do get paid a bit more so there is that (I'd rather be PC but eh)

Fried Chicken fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Nov 4, 2014

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

And the republican clerk with me is now complaining about the behavior of the woman I mentioned earlier, she just went off on an old man who lives bed here because he was asking a question about access to the commons area we are in.

How do you get to be 50+ and not learn to not be utter poo poo?

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Joementum posted:

She's actually down in the polls :laugh:

Really? From what I read, the lone poll showing Owens ahead was within a large margin of error. Every other poll has Mia Love up. As amusing as it would be for a Republican to lose a sure seat in Utah in a midterm after losing in her last attempt by 768 votes, it seems more likely that she'll win.

http://www.sltrib.com/news/1750147-155/poll-love-owens-byu-percent-district

But it would feel so good...

quote:

Love’s campaign manager, Dave Hansen, said the results don’t match the campaign’s internal numbers.

"I don’t believe it, to be honest with you," he said. "It is certainly not what we are seeing."

William Bear fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Nov 4, 2014

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Gonna go vote for the guy who got single payer passed and then chased a bear naked through his back yard. :chord:

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Fried Chicken posted:

And the republican clerk with me is now complaining about the behavior of the woman I mentioned earlier, she just went off on an old man who lives bed here because he was asking a question about access to the commons area we are in.

How do you get to be 50+ and not learn to not be utter poo poo?

Hmm. Is the worker'sGOP Plant's guff and bluster political at all? I'm sensing a viral video here...

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Accretionist posted:

Hmm. Is the worker'sGOP Plant's guff and bluster political at all? I'm sensing a viral video here...

No, she's just an rear end in a top hat. The people who live here keep asking questions about access here and she keeps being abusive.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Svanja posted:

It was depressing voting in Texas and already knowing the outcome, but I won't cry over it.

Same. But no point in drinking yourself to death or getting fat over it either. Get mad, stay mad, wait for poo poo to go mad max on us.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

I voted in Kansas just now, straight D. Everyone was really nice and I was in and out in under 5 minutes, glad I got in early. Kinda bummed me out to be surrounded by old voters and realize how outnumbered I am, but we'll see how things turn out.

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

Blessed be the woodworkers
The crosses and the gallows

Blessed be the forgers of iron
And the spikes and the barbwire

Blessed be the stone cutters
It took a quarry to bury the dreams
The part of it all that makes me angry is how everyone hates congress but they'll give more power to the jerks who make Congress so insufferable. It doesn't make sense, but that's the voting public for you.

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable
"It's not my congressperson that's the problem, they're good. Everyone else is a crook!"

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Plus, your average voter does it for ideological/identity/social reasons.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Hilariously transparent how the republican clerks here become super stringent if they see someone carrying in democratic lit. Arguing about addresses need to be updated, if there is a middle initial vs middle name vs no middle name on the piece of ID compared to the registration, it's just naked dicking around to try and push someone out. Even if you want to go with the "well they are just doing it right" condescending, wow it's funny how that standard isn't applied when they come in with republican slate lit

Fried Chicken fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Nov 4, 2014

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Fried Chicken posted:

Hilariously transparent how the republican clerks here become super stringent if they see someone carrying in democratic lit. Arguing about addresses need to be updated, if there is a middle initial vs middle name vs no middle name on the piece of ID compared to the registration, it's just naked dicking around to try and push someone out.

Can you get it on video?

edit: I know this is repetitive but these reports are disturbing my calm and imagining a PR kerfuffle is cathartic

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Accretionist posted:

Can you get it on video?

edit: I know this is repetitive but these reports are disturbing my calm and imagining a PR kerfuffle is cathartic

"Guy aggressively following the law" is not a PR kerfluffle

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

Auritech posted:

The part of it all that makes me angry is how everyone hates congress but they'll give more power to the jerks who make Congress so insufferable. It doesn't make sense, but that's the voting public for you.

The anger started in 2010 when PPACA passed. Since then voters have gotten what they want: gridlock.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

pussy riot police posted:

"It's not my congressperson that's the problem, they're good. Everyone else is a crook!"

I forgot the article I read that outlines a change in this trend, but polling data here indicates that for the first time, Americans disapprove of their personal congressional representatives' job performance as well as Congress in aggregate. (Though it rallied upwards recently, likely due to election season.)

http://www.pollingreport.com/CongJob1.htm

Before the recent spike, ABC News/Washington Post Poll this summer had Americans 41 approve, 51 disapprove their own representatives. Compare that to a Gallup poll of Congressional approval at a similar time, which had 13 approve, 83 disapprove.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Kiwi Ghost Chips posted:

The anger started in 2010 when PPACA passed. Since then voters have gotten what they want: gridlock.

It started in early spring of 2009, actually. Gave the wealthy elite enough time to coopt the nascent tea party movement and make it just another wing of the republican party.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Old black lady just gestured for the polling integrity watchers to kiss her rear end, day is now complete

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Fried Chicken posted:

Old black lady just gestured for the polling integrity watchers to kiss her rear end, day is now complete

You should stop posting about this stuff and start taping it.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Joementum posted:

Gonna go vote for the guy who got single payer passed and then chased a bear naked through his back yard. :chord:

Leave out the single payer, you've described half of Illinois' Republican Congressional delegation.

E: Walkn in to vote now, wish me luck

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

You should stop posting about this stuff and start taping it.

I wish I had. Lady must have been 70 if she was a day, came in, jumped through all the hoops, had her power and cable bills to verify address as back up (she didn't need them) voted, got her sticker, started to walk out, stopped at the door, half turned so her back was to the watchers, and with both hands thumbs extended, jerked them at her butt in an unmistakable gesture to kiss her rear end.

It was a thing of beauty. Pretty much the perfect response to voter suppression from someone who (going by age) had to battle it the first time around

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
No to background checks, no to stupid class-size-by-decree, yes to all feckless Dems on my ballot (including Suzan DelBene who is worthless even though she probably rescued our federal grant money).

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Did my annual tradition of voting for fourteen of the fifteen Justice of the Peace candidates, except my junior high school science teacher who once blew up the classroom demonstrating how to start a fire in the wilderness.

It was raining that day, so he decided it would be a good idea to do this activity indoors and didn't notice one of the gas valves was open.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

I should probably add that for every interesting story I've had so far we've had probably 5 of voters being abusive idiots to clerks because they didn't understand something, and a dozen more of people walking in, voting, and going about their business. You are getting the interesting bits, largely it's no different then any other thing where you deal with the mass public - boring, with a few nuts and instances of frustration

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Sorry I can't vote D in NC this year. We moved to SC right across the state line for low taxes and better schools. We continue to work in and leech off of NC as much as we can.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Nov 4, 2014

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

So the fact that we've all been up since 4 has pretty much sapped the vigor from the GOP rules sticklers I mentioned earlier. I think it's finally settling in that they have 10 more hours of this and they are dealing with well meaning but confused people rather than a horde of cunning election thieves

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Strait D except for thr RINO county clerk (no D filed), voted for myself, offical ballot after no name in registry. Time to go to a holiday inn and make sure ain't nobody got no cellphones.

Fried Chicken posted:

So the fact that we've all been up since 4 has pretty much sapped the vigor from the GOP rules sticklers I mentioned earlier. I think it's finally settling in that they have 10 more hours of this and they are dealing with well meaning but confused people rather than a horde of cunning election thieves

I see ya'll get the covetted Democratic base

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:
We were already loving up the election in Hartford(i.e. a city Malloy needs to win) this morning because a list of voters wasn't delivered in time to various polling sites, voters had to sign in creating quite some lines.

On a plus side, the weather is really nice in Connecticut today, especially compared to the last few days, hopefully it will boost turnout slightly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.48
May 1, 2007
Is there any information yet about how much impact the mayday-pac ads have had on the races where they got involved?

• Locked thread