Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

JosefStalinator posted:

Now they get to pass laws and when Obama vetoes them they can say "look Obama is obstructionist!"

Course, those laws will be, in order of importance:

1. Repealing Obamacare
2. Repealing Obamacare
3. Repealing Obamacare
4. Repealing Obamacare
5. Defunding Obamacare
6. Repealing Obamacare
7. Establishing a permanent standing committee to investigate Benghazi

Actually, just kidding, the Dems will filibuster things and still get blamed for obstructionism.

Dont forget there will be a 'Jobs' Bill which will be 95% tax cuts for owning Lear Jets, and 5% 1 cent raises to soldiers pensions (the latter 30 years delayed until 2045).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!
Have the Senate races in Alaska and Virginia been called yet?

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

The ghost of a god is no man.
Woke up to Republicans controlling everything. drat you, Karl Rove, for giving us hope :argh: Did Ofaloaf at least win?

Hitler B. Natural
Feb 11, 2014

Hedera Helix posted:

Have the Senate races in Alaska and Virginia been called yet?

Alaska's not called yet but pretty much Dan Sullivan's won it, Virginia is neck-hair and neck-hair. Also Scott loving Walker and Rick Scott both won, but at least the third Scott didn't.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Oh cool, the election results got updated overnight. Now I lost, 61.41% to 38.23% (0.36% of the vote were write-ins), but the total vote tally was updated so, at least I won over a thousand votes on the way to losing. :gbsmith:

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Mitt Romney posted:

Nothing will get done from 2015 to 2017 except more shutdowns. What you should be worried about is the possibility of the GOP getting all 3 branches in 2016. If that happens, filibuster is gone and GOP passes whatever the hell they want.

Filibuster is already gone. Thank Reid for that one. Once you get rid of it when it suits you, you can't whine when the other side does the same.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

FAUXTON posted:

You could say governors Cuomo and Malloy, who passed big honkin' gun responsibility laws, were validated in their re-elections. Hickenlooper wins and that's a hat trick.

Malloy's margin was pretty slim fora state as blue as CT and Foley was a poo poo candidate.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Ratspeaker posted:

Did Ofaloaf at least win?

I hope you're not out of booze, friend.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.

Ratspeaker posted:

Did Ofaloaf at least win?

:smith:

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Mmmmm...woke up this morning, came here to revel in the meltdown. Am not leaving disappointed. I never spend time in D&D, but I assumed you people were more reasoned than the 14-year-old retards in GBS. That is not the case. Maybe if your fake president didn't spend six years with his thumb up his rear end this wouldn't have happened. Fortunately, he did. Enjoy the 2-party rule, everybody!

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Hitler B. Natural posted:

Rick Scott both won

Florida: still validating its status as one of the worst states in the union.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

ActusRhesus posted:

Malloy's margin was pretty slim fora state as blue as CT and Foley was a poo poo candidate.

Malloy's margin looks set to actually be more than that of 2010 with a lower turnout. He's 22,000 ahead right now with 91% counted, but New Haven(whose numbers are already up on a local paper with a 19,000 vote margin of victory) and Bridgeport aren't part of this mix supposedly. He's going to have a decent margin. Apparently they key for Democrats winning is raising the minimum wage, giving people paid sick days, giving undocumented people licenses and :2bong:

Also lmao I still can't believe LePage in Maine won. Principled voters helped ruin the state. Also Obama's home turf going red.

Amused to Death fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Nov 5, 2014

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

This is indeed a disturbing universe.

Lincoln posted:

Mmmmm...woke up this morning, came here to revel in the meltdown. Am not leaving disappointed. I never spend time in D&D, but I assumed you people were more reasoned than the 14-year-old retards in GBS. That is not the case. Maybe if your fake president didn't spend six years with his thumb up his rear end this wouldn't have happened. Fortunately, he did. Enjoy the 2-party rule, everybody!

A smug but fair assessment.

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

Just got back in from running errands all day and saw that this election went super poorly for Democrats. Was there literally no coherent GOTV organization this time around? It seems like even less democrat demographics showed up this time around as compared to 2010.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Lincoln posted:

Enjoy the 2-party rule, everybody!

This wouldn't sting so bad if every single person in my area wasn't also running unopposed (except for Governor, and nobody running for that office here was better/worse than any of their opponents). I couldn't even cast a "gently caress all incumbents" ballot. :smith:

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
Nobody was running for president, so of course nobody showed up to vote.

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

A thing I woke up to this morning on Facebook:

(A bit of a preamble, MA's Question 4 dealt with part time employees being able to accrue paid sick time -- up to 5 days per year -- and it won rather handily):

Dear MA voters who voted yes for question 4:
Never ever ever tell me you support question 4. I can not believe that part time people can now have earned sick days just like full time workers. Wtf is wrong with you?! Thats going to destroy small businesses. And basically what the hell is the point of them getting earned sick days. You want earned sick days, get a full time job assholes... but nooooo let all the lazy welfare assholes get paid sick days and part timers while i continue to work my rear end off 45 hours a week.... UGH go pound sand you shitheads.....

Not the vintage of tears we are used to around here, but, perhaps a little bit to help tide us over until 2016.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

JosefStalinator posted:

Now they get to pass laws and when Obama vetoes them they can say "look Obama is obstructionist!"

Course, those laws will be, in order of importance:

1. Repealing Obamacare
2. Repealing Obamacare
3. Repealing Obamacare
4. Repealing Obamacare
5. Defunding Obamacare
6. Repealing Obamacare
7. Establishing a permanent standing committee to investigate Benghazi

Actually, just kidding, the Dems will filibuster things and still get blamed for obstructionism.

I was listening to an interview with Cruz earlier tonight. He did actually have some ideas don't involve Benghazi:

1. Vote for the Keystone pipeline. It's popular among Republicans, but it is a split between unions and environmentalists. Obama is pissing off at least part of his base whichever way he goes on that one.
2. Corporate tax reform. It's kind of hard to argue that the current corporate tax system isn't horribly biased towards whoever has the best lobbyists.
3. Kind of part of #2, getting rid of the tax on foreign earnings on corporations in order to encourage them to invest those profits in the US.
4. Passing an actual budget through both houses of congress, instead of just having arguments over continuing resolutions.
5. Repeal the medical device tax.

I'm not saying any of those will come to pass or be great plans or anything, but there are 535 members of congress. They can do more than one thing at once.

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

As expected. Makes me spending the time to bike my rear end over to an early polling station to vote before I left the country feel like a whole waste of time though.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Well, woke up to a mixed bag of news. The GOP is back to running the show in the Senate, but on the flip side, Tom Corbett is the first governor in PA history to lose his reelection bid. Fare thee well, you lovely bastard.

So how bad is the damage in Congress? Are the margins between the parties thin enough that Democrats and (what's left of) the non-Tea-Party GOP can push through must-pass legislation, or are we looking at constant shutdowns and possible default in the next two years?

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Martha Coakley lost again - glad to see the MA Democratic Party being as lovely as ever. :v:

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

Nolanar posted:

Well, woke up to a mixed bag of news. The GOP is back to running the show in the Senate, but on the flip side, Tom Corbett is the first governor in PA history to lose his reelection bid. Fare thee well, you lovely bastard.

So how bad is the damage in Congress? Are the margins between the parties thin enough that Democrats and (what's left of) the non-Tea-Party GOP can push through must-pass legislation, or are we looking at constant shutdowns and possible default in the next two years?

We're looking at spending bills where even more funding for poo poo is slashed.

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

Optimus Subprime posted:

As expected. Makes me spending the time to bike my rear end over to an early polling station to vote before I left the country feel like a whole waste of time though.

I agree, but I'll keep plugging along and voting just in case there's that chance. Although I know that we will instead re-elect Rick Scott and I will drown in booze.

Ima Grip And Sip
Oct 19, 2014

:sherman:

Lincoln posted:

Hey that's not fair. We spent the first two years blaming all the problems on the last guy in office, so they shouldn't really count. After that there was only really four years of "election mandate" to work with. Not a lot of time!

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

marioinblack posted:

I agree, but I'll keep plugging along and voting just in case there's that chance. Although I know that we will instead re-elect Rick Scott and I will drown in booze.

Maybe you should have voted in the primaries. I wouldn't trust Crist lay down on my white couch without it turning orange, or sell me a used car. How does he keep being a serious candidate?

Macintyre
May 6, 2006
Slow Rider

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

Yep, in my voting line it was 99% angry old people. Saw no one under age 50 aside from myself, it was sad.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
Does GOP control of both houses make debt default and global economic collapse more or less likely? Will the brinkmanship just shift to threats of default if Obama vetoes a bill?

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Ted Lieu replaced Waxman, and basing this solely on Twitter he seemed the better candidate. Gonna miss Waxman pulling a Clean Air Act from nowhere every 10 years though.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I think it depends on how much the remaining Democrats want to use the filibuster. There's now two bumps in the road for conservative bills so I have a feeling they are going to trade off on the truly odious stuff while letting the only somewhat terrible things through in order to not be saddled with the blame for being obstructionist.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Well the rest of the country might be hosed but I woke up this morning to find out that things are still alright in Minnesota.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

ReV VAdAUL posted:

Does GOP control of both houses make debt default and global economic collapse more or less likely? Will the brinkmanship just shift to threats of default if Obama vetoes a bill?
They're going to start packing in their wishlist items like Obamacare defunding along with normal legislation that just keeps the lights on, and either get what they want, or blame Obama for stopping the Social Security checks or whatever when he vetoes.

Obama really needs to draw the line in the sand on the items he simply will not cave on, no matter what it comes packaged with now. I think this stands a good chance of working, and is better than making principled stands only when the Republicans actually send terrible bills.

The biggest danger is probably the Republicans packing in terrible things into normal bills that have devastating impacts, but are not easy to comprehend for the average person. It will be difficult to veto a bill continuing SS payments because it contains some text about sunsetting provisions for delays on the enactment of tax credits for financial institutions that have initiated blah blah blah... zzz... zzz...

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Gerrymandering is a hell of a thing. Alternatively, Americans are mostly dumb.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Obama will hold a press conference today at 2:50 PM.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Radish posted:

I think it depends on how much the remaining Democrats want to use the filibuster. There's now two bumps in the road for conservative bills so I have a feeling they are going to trade off on the truly odious stuff while letting the only somewhat terrible things through in order to not be saddled with the blame for being obstructionist.

I'm kind of wondering how long it will be until the Republican Senate leaders bust out the reconciliation card. I'm pretty sure that all the political commentators will disappear up their own assholes if the Republicans try to use reconciliation to repeal Obamacare.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

ReV VAdAUL posted:

The GOP will pass plenty of garbage that gets vetoed, but will be left holding the bag in two years, so their leadership will make sure the wheels don't completely come off before 2016.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Theris posted:

Andre Carson will be surprised to learn he's either not black, not Muslim, or both.

Well I'll be damned. Wasn't aware Democrats elected two black Muslims to house seats.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

Casimir Radon posted:

Well the rest of the country might be hosed but I woke up this morning to find out that things are still alright in Minnesota.

Unfortunately, the State House is lost, but they got a ton of great poo poo done in the last two sessions. If the National Dems can run somebody halfway competent for President, then it should flip back in 2016.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Mr.48 posted:

Gerrymandering is a hell of a thing. Alternatively, Americans are mostly dumb.

I don't think you can blame that all on gerrymandering. I think it really comes down to the problem America has had for a century. We like social programs, just not when non-whites get them. I have a feeling that the statistics are going to say that this election was all about pissed off white males coming out strong against what they perceive as threats while still voting for social benefits when they have the chance.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
What the gently caress is going on in Vermont, Joe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.
i drank a fifth and i'm still sober. also dan sullivan is going to win

earth status: hosed and homosexual

• Locked thread