Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
wats the big plugm on all these cards? idk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZe3MdmosYM

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Smythe posted:

yes you do. don't play coy smythe

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Smythe posted:

not nearly as elite as ur ppls ancient cards but i had a

sound blast live 5.1

and i put it in like 4 gaming 'rigs b4 i gave up on finding drivers and faced to realtek

sorry for your loss

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Werthog 95 posted:

the answer i was looking for was creative text assist, apparently
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RN05jR_PxW0

german vocaloid better than I thought

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

yes you do. don't play coy smythe

its the midi / jame plug? i had to look it up. dont think i ever had anything to plug into it. ive always been peripheral poor

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

SmokaDustbowl posted:

SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1

I7 motherfucker

Remember the mess that was getting Plug and Play hardware working under DOS? Seriously it was easier just going back to hardware that had DIP switches or jumpers for resource allocation

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

You Am I posted:

I7 motherfucker

Remember the mess that was getting Plug and Play hardware working under DOS? Seriously it was easier just going back to hardware that had DIP switches or jumpers for resource allocation

loving WAY easier.

"Plug And Play" was hate speech in '96.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

so i can just connect this card, and run the p&p wizard,and windows will automatically assign it an irq that's already being used by three other devices and make my mouse stop working?

neatos

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

flakeloaf posted:

so i can just connect this card, and run the p&p wizard,and windows will automatically assign it an irq that's already being used by three other devices and make my mouse stop working?

neatos

your neatos is a piece of poo poo

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Jonny 290 posted:

loving WAY easier.

"Plug And Play" was hate speech in '96.

plug and pray :newlol:

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.

Mr. Apollo posted:

plug and pray :newlol:

rofl

Rosoboronexport
Jun 14, 2006

Get in the bath, baby!
Ramrod XTreme
A couple months ago I threw away like 6 or 7 analog cd-audio cables when I was cleaning my junk closet.

XP was pretty astonishing as you didn't need the analog or spdif cable between sound card and cd-rom drive.

I still use Audigy 2 on my desktop -- resampled 48 kHz just sounds better.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

flakeloaf posted:

neatos

Windows 95 had no IRQ steering, so it was as bad as DOS with resource allocation

Thankfully Win 98 had IRQ steering and allowed multiple devices to hang off the same IRQ port.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.
old computers are cool

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

papa_november posted:

the best soundcard

:eyepop::gowron::eyepop::gowron::eyepop::gowron:

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

Smythe posted:

:stare:

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Smythe posted:

the joystick / midi port?

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

You Am I posted:

Windows 95 had no IRQ steering, so it was as bad as DOS with resource allocation

Thankfully Win 98 had IRQ steering and allowed multiple devices to hang off the same IRQ port.

bu bu bu bu bu odd versions of windars were BAAAD

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

all versions of wandows are bad

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
hey what was irq anyhow

i remember messing with it beause sometimes it would fix things but i never knew what it was

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

hey what was irq anyhow

i remember messing with it beause sometimes it would fix things but i never knew what it was

Interrupt request, it was a hardware line that the card used to tell the CPU or bus "Hey, I need your attention"

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

Citizen Tayne posted:

Interrupt request, it was a hardware line that the card used to tell the CPU or bus "Hey, I need your attention"

And there were a limited number so if you ran out because of too many peripherals well tough poo poo. If two devices shared an irq it would hang your poo poo

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
seems like a bad way to design things im0o

Tin Gang
Sep 27, 2007

Tin Gang posted:

showering has no effect on germs and is terrible for your skin. there is no good reason to do it

Smythe posted:

you can plug a little module in for either ethernet over rj45 or coaxial

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

It still works that way because peripherals need a way to get attention from the host, they just use an APIC instead of having everything set in hardware to use a certain IRQ.

hit a key? Interrupt.

Drag your mouse? Interrupt.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interrupt_request

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a324ykKV-7Y

pro-est sound cards

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Millstone posted:

And there were a limited number so if you ran out because of too many peripherals well tough poo poo. If two devices shared an irq it would hang your poo poo

The pain of dealing with a PC with multiple Parallel and serial ports and extra stuff like sound cards and network cards and trying to get the most out of IRQs oh god

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

lgr has some cool videos, i like his channel

his review of simhealth is pro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-F-H0GwsZPk

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

it is good as long as either the user or the OS was completely in control of them

if i set blaster=A220 I5 D7 then that card's on IRQ5 and if something else conflicts it's my own fault for assigning interrupts without reading autoexec.bat and config.sys to find out which resources are already taken

win95 would create braindead conflicts that you had to manually resolve by pawing through device manager to find out which two devices were sharing resources and separate them yourself and then blindly trust that it'd magically get everything else right

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

You Am I posted:

The pain of dealing with a PC with multiple Parallel and serial ports

i'm the bidirectional printer on an 8250 uart

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

also keep in mind that irqs 1-4 couldn't be assigned to PCI/ISA bus on a lot of boards at the time. so you really didn't have that many.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
why did you have to bring up irqs and dma I'm getting flashbacks now

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

and also those long flimsy cables that connected the cd to the sound card so you could play audio CDs

what i don't remember is having to update my drivers every twenty minutes. poo poo either worked or it didn't.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Rosoboronexport posted:

I still use Audigy 2 on my desktop -- resampled 48 kHz just sounds better.

I have an old xp system that I was given a few years ago that does nothing but serve as an audio passthrough; has an audigy 2 zs (one of the ones with a breakout box). Still works great.

e: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hE9X8bxbG4

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

flakeloaf posted:

win95 would create braindead conflicts that you had to manually resolve by pawing through device manager to find out which two devices were sharing resources and separate them yourself and then blindly trust that it'd magically get everything else right

i used a mac then so i never encountered this but why was win95 so bad at it? it seems like it would be relatively straightforward to list all the devices currently connected and choose a number that isn't taken

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

devices could share irqs if properly mediated by the OS and most devices were perfectly cool with that idea, but any ISA hardware would absolutely refuse to play nice so you had to go into the bios and manually reserve commonly-used irqs for your old cards to keep windows from trying to share or give them to other things. irq6 might be free but if your card can only do 2, 5, 7 or 10 that's not gonna help

e: i don't remember the specifics of how the win95 device manager worked but i remember some misery with desirable irqs not being selectable or something like that

flakeloaf fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Nov 7, 2014

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

flakeloaf posted:

devices could share irqs if properly mediated by the OS and most devices were perfectly cool with that idea, but any ISA hardware would absolutely refuse to play nice so you had to go into the bios and manually reserve commonly used irqs for those to keep windows from giving them to other things

interesting :tipshat:

flakeloaf posted:

irq6 might be free but if your card can only do 2, 5, 7 or 10 that's not gonna help

wait is it like scsi id's where a device only has a few options? that's hosed up

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

wait is it like scsi id's where a device only has a few options? that's hosed up

pretty much

also scsi + irq conflicts were rumoured to cause interesting side effects like accidentally overwriting the beginning of your hard drive with data intended for your sound card, but not being a job haver in those days i never had the pleasure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

it's really weird to see tori dropping actual non-sql computer knowledge instead of just insulting people :pwn:

• Locked thread