Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DogsCantBudget
Jul 8, 2013
So the month has ended and the budgets are in. Overall we're doing ok, but not great. Wife still hasn't brought in a ton of money(~3k over the last 2 months) but we have over 15k of bills out to vendors that should be paid to her, and will after tax expect that to drop to ~9k. We've been setting aside 40% of all of her paychecks into a "taxes" account(and not accounting for them as income, as that is untouchable money).

Current Balances:

Positive
Checking: 2193.36(waiting on ~1k of bills to come out so really more like 1200 in here)
Emergency Savings: 15k
Car Insurance Savings: 500.95 (Due in December, saving towards that goal at ~700 bux)
New House Purhcase: 3004.71
Life Insurance: 562 (Due in March/April, ~1k)
Roth IRA Dogs: 37562
Roth IRA Wife: 23573
401k Dogs: 24438

Total: 105839

Negative
Capital One(paid off monthly): -2332 (Note we basically put all expenses on this card and then pay it off from cash. This card has lots of good points/rewards. This is not a carried balance.
AES School Loan: -23147
Mortgage: -198516
Citizens Bank Car Loan: -4410
Granite State Mortgage: -21382

Total: 249787

Expected Salary intake over next 30 days:
Dogs: 5755
Wife: 9000

Plans over next 30 days:
1) Live off Dog's income. This should be really easy, we've been doing it for a few months TBH.
1a) Put wife's income into House fund or 1b) use it to agressively pay down debt. There are pros for both options, and cons for both as well. Cons for option a are that (b) items can grow interest. Cons for (a) are mainly mental and emotional.

2) Buy a car. Probably as discussed a brand new Prius Hybrid. Finance purchase and pay off rapidly. Goal to pay this off within 16 months.

3) Travel upcoming: Post thanksgiving trip to FL. Visit Wife's dad. Visit Dog's scuba playground

4) December outlook. Some minor purchases of gifts for family. No travel currently planned.

See YNAB below:

DogsCantBudget fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Nov 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Overall it looks like you're doing pretty well. I still think buying a new car is a mistake, but obviously you've made your decision.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
I'd prioritise the loan debt and get a cheaper vehicle in the same situation. New cars come at a premium that would be better invested or used for paying those student loans even though they are reasonably low percentage. Other than that you are on track as n8r has pointed out.

ObsidianBeast
Jan 17, 2008

SKA SUCKS
It's the 1-year anniversary of your thread. How do you feel you have improved over the course of the past year?

DogsCantBudget
Jul 8, 2013
Takeaways so far this year:
1) We continue to spend too much, but its gotten way better. Gone are the 10k months where we end up with 0$ going into savings.

2) We've bought down some debt. We had 270k of debt a year ago(including mortgage). Today we have 248k of debt. We've paid off more then 20k of debt. Obviously this number could be better but I'll get to why

3) We've established an emergency fund with 15k.

4) We've started to budget for large upcoming expenses, such as insurance and other ~1k or more expenses.

5) We're better, but still bad about bringing purchases to you guys. I know that wife is hell bent on the Prius. It's gonna happen. Still working on that impulse purchase control.

I think that's it for now.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

DogsCantBudget posted:

2) We've bought down some debt. We had 270k of debt a year ago(including mortgage). Today we have 248k of debt. We've paid off more then 20k of debt. Obviously this number could be better but I'll get to why

3) We've established an emergency fund with 15k.
Cool, what's your net worth now? What's your debt excluding the mortgage?

DogsCantBudget
Jul 8, 2013

Cicero posted:

Cool, what's your net worth now? What's your debt excluding the mortgage?

Net worth: 95k
Debt excluding mortgage: 53k

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
Hi Dogs, I hope all is well

DogsCantBudget
Jul 8, 2013

Veskit posted:

Hi Dogs, I hope all is well

Sorry I have been delayed in responding, here is YNAB from November(compare to the post here (http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3678964&pagenumber=27#post452179778))

We had a trip towards the end of the month/start of December, which accounts for a bunch fo these expenses, and you can see what the current budget looks like below:

Also what's with my new avatar?

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

DogsCantBudget posted:

Also what's with my new avatar?

It's the new default to replace Stupid Newbie / Garbage-Dick for anyone who doesn't have a custom av.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

It doesn't seem like you're really budgeting with how hard you're blowing some of these categories.

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009

n8r posted:

It doesn't seem like you're really budgeting with how hard you're blowing some of these categories.

It looks like some SloMo-style "Oops that month was bad, maybe next month will be better, who can say?!?" reconciliation.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

It's pretty easy to do stuff like accidentally blow your clothing budget by $500.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

n8r posted:

It's pretty easy to do stuff like accidentally blow your clothing budget by $500.

We just had to get a new suit and dress for the company party. Had to!

DogsCantBudget
Jul 8, 2013

n8r posted:

Not easy. This was a major wardrobe change due to a role/job change that had to happen. I have put 0 into clothing for the current month. Also there was ~1800 left over that was "unbudgeted" last month. We managed to move 3000 into our moving fund, and expect 4000 into the moving fund this month. Maybe a bit more if possible.

DogsCantBudget
Jul 8, 2013
I want to reply to thank all of you for making me not in that 63% figure:
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/most-americans-cant-handle-a-500-surprise-bill/?utm_source=fark&utm_medium=website&utm_content=link

I definitely was not in a good place when I started.

in other news, wife lost her awesome job....looking for a new one. It's ok, not a major hit.

ObsidianBeast
Jan 17, 2008

SKA SUCKS

DogsCantBudget posted:

I want to reply to thank all of you for making me not in that 63% figure:
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/most-americans-cant-handle-a-500-surprise-bill/?utm_source=fark&utm_medium=website&utm_content=link

I definitely was not in a good place when I started.

in other news, wife lost her awesome job....looking for a new one. It's ok, not a major hit.

In what world is losing more than 160k in income not a major hit? I know you said you make good money and you'll survive just fine but that's still a significant loss of income.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Maybe she can pick up dog turds while she is out of work. Easy money saving there.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

ObsidianBeast posted:

In what world is losing more than 160k in income not a major hit? I know you said you make good money and you'll survive just fine but that's still a significant loss of income.

I'm guessing it won't take her long to find a job given her skill set. We did all the same thing and she found this job pretty quickly so I'm with him on the logic of it all at least. Though it still is concerning.

n8r posted:

Maybe she can pick up dog turds while she is out of work. Easy money saving there.

lol

DogsCantBudget
Jul 8, 2013

n8r posted:

We actually cancelled that service as of 12/31.

Veskit posted:

I'm guessing it won't take her long to find a job given her skill set. We did all the same thing and she found this job pretty quickly so I'm with him on the logic of it all at least. Though it still is concerning.

It wasn't 160k as she never had 40 hour weeks. She was somewhere around 80-100k. She'll find a job at 80k, but it will be W2'd which should be better overall..

DogsCantBudget
Jul 8, 2013
Time for drama to start...
I lost my job on Thursday.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

DogsCantBudget posted:

When it rains, it sometimes pours! What's the new budget and current financial position like? And job prospects?

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

DogsCantBudget posted:

Can you get your old job back? You switched from engineering to sales, right?

Make a new budget. You may think this is temporary but spending at previous levels for 2 months with no income will probably deplete your emergency fund entirely.

On the bright side, you can take turns picking up turds now.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

My condolences, that sucks. Have you guys filed for unemployment?

DogsCantBudget
Jul 8, 2013

SiGmA_X posted:

When it rains, it sometimes pours! What's the new budget and current financial position like? And job prospects?

Yes. I'm hoping to stay in sales actually. Will work on a new budget this weekend probably.

I have a few prospects and am actively working on all of them.

Cicero posted:

My condolences, that sucks. Have you guys filed for unemployment?

She's not eligible because she was an Independent Contractor/Self employed. I have already filed.

Inept posted:

Can you get your old job back? You switched from engineering to sales, right?

Make a new budget. You may think this is temporary but spending at previous levels for 2 months with no income will probably deplete your emergency fund entirely.

On the bright side, you can take turns picking up turds now.

We actually had canceled the dog poop service as of 12/31, cute to keep this going if you choose.

No I can't get my old job back, and TBH I sorta don't want it back. I really enjoyed the Sales life.

I do have some severance coming my way, but its definitely not going to be like it was before.

If anyone is willing to review my resume, I'd much appreciate.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

You could just post an anonymized version here.

DogsCantBudget
Jul 8, 2013

Cicero posted:

You could just post an anonymized version here.

I'd rather not. Happy to send to someone who says they are willing to view it, but I'd rather not post it here.

DogsCantBudget
Jul 8, 2013
So I have a request for a phone screen in a week. They have asked when my schedule is free. I know saying "hey call me anytime, I don't have a job" is obviously the wrong answer. Can someone guide me to a proper response that doesn't show that I am currently hungry/jobless?

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for
:sparkles: :sparkles:
This doesn't seem complicated: pick a couple of days and say you're available. Sure, saying anytime will give you away, but saying anytime on Monday or Tuesday does not.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
"Let me check. Hmm, would Monday or Tuesday afternoon work for you? I cant do mornings very well most days because I have gigantic morning wood and it would be distracting, but if you give me a few days notice I will make myself available in the morning if needed."

If its a phone interview with more than 1 person I almost guarantee they are talking like a week out because they need to coordinate schedules.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
You can suggest a couple of days and you can also say that if you are given a few days lead you should be able to make most days work for 30 minutes.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

DCB can you post a budget so we can see the much needed changes for adapting to the situation?

DogsCantBudget
Jul 8, 2013

Veskit posted:

DCB can you post a budget so we can see the much needed changes for adapting to the situation?

I've rejiggered the February budget since its almost upon us. January was a wierd month. Note that I still got the normal paycheck in January. I'm showing both the Jan and Feb budgets here. Note the number change.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

DogsCantBudget posted:

I've rejiggered the February budget since its almost upon us. January was a wierd month. Note that I still got the normal paycheck in January. I'm showing both the Jan and Feb budgets here. Note the number change.

Can you add in the accounts also? You had it on the last one but I don't know if they're current

DogsCantBudget
Jul 8, 2013

Veskit posted:

Can you add in the accounts also? You had it on the last one but I don't know if they're current

A couple of accounts of note:
One thing I hadn't mentioned was we did buy wifey a car. It's in the budget, and of course we both had jobs while we bought it....2015 prius with a ~315$ a month payment
401k isn't updated cuz I misplaced my passwd, and regardless I'm going to be transferring that from my old employer over to Vanguard soon enough
Income Tax savings is to cover all income she had made during her time as an IC. According to my math its more then enough(by about 2k, which will go to savings)

I think that's about all that is important to mention here...

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

What's the moving fund? I can't remember that account sorry I'm catching up to everything. If it was for leaving, unless that is an immediate plan is there a bad reason to immediately eat that fund until you and the wife have new jobs?

DogsCantBudget
Jul 8, 2013

Veskit posted:

What's the moving fund? I can't remember that account sorry I'm catching up to everything. If it was for leaving, unless that is an immediate plan is there a bad reason to immediately eat that fund until you and the wife have new jobs?

I plan to digging into that one first if I have to...

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

I think I remember reading this correctly, but aren't you both unemployed now? I should think that means $300 a month on eat out food needs to all go away since you both have plenty of time to cook at home. But I see you cut back on groceries instead. C'mon son.

$25 a month on taxis when you both have cars, why? If it's because of going to bars and getting trashed, you probably should stop that too.

DogsCantBudget
Jul 8, 2013

BloodBag posted:

I think I remember reading this correctly, but aren't you both unemployed now? I should think that means $300 a month on eat out food needs to all go away since you both have plenty of time to cook at home. But I see you cut back on groceries instead. C'mon son.

$25 a month on taxis when you both have cars, why? If it's because of going to bars and getting trashed, you probably should stop that too.

We actually won't be using much taxi's next month. We're not really big on the bars/getting trashed thing.

The high groceries this month was carry over from last month(which was a high month), I did a review, and it seems 350 should last us based on prior expenses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

DogsCantBudget posted:

We actually won't be using much taxi's next month. We're not really big on the bars/getting trashed thing.

The high groceries this month was carry over from last month(which was a high month), I did a review, and it seems 350 should last us based on prior expenses.

Don't spend $300 on restaurants when you are both unemployed.

• Locked thread