Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DogsCantBudget
Jul 8, 2013

Inept posted:

Don't spend $300 on restaurants when you are both unemployed.

We dropped it to 200...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Stop trying to troll.

DogsCantBudget
Jul 8, 2013

Spermy Smurf posted:

Stop trying to troll.

No troll. I'm happy to post the latest february budget if you'd like...

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Then dont eat out when you are at home all day unemployed.

Take the new 9hrs that you used to work and maybe spend 40 mins of that time cooking.

You have zero income. And I bet you still want to buy a new house within 6 months.

DogsCantBudget
Jul 8, 2013

Spermy Smurf posted:

Take the new 9hrs that you used to work and maybe spend 40 mins of that time cooking.

You have zero income. And I bet you still want to buy a new house within 6 months.
Obviously that plan is well set back :(

Yes we've been primarily cooking, and will continue to do that. I doubt we'll eat out much at all, but I'd like to take my wife out for VDay if possible....

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
He'll still have income from unemployment, and has enough funds to float for 6+ months on that budget.

Having someone like dogs go cold turkey on restaurants isn't going to go over well. Yes, it's what he should do, but does anyone here think it's viable?

Spermy Smurf posted:

He's eating the moving budget which was for the house.

DogsCantBudget
Jul 8, 2013

Veskit posted:

He'll still have income from unemployment, and has enough funds to float for 6+ months on that budget.

Having someone like dogs go cold turkey on restaurants isn't going to go over well. Yes, it's what he should do, but does anyone here think it's viable?

well...not yet. I do have a month of severance, which means at current budget levels(4k a month) would leave me with ~a month and a half from severance. If I can't find a job in that time....I'll be very unpleasantly surprised.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Veskit posted:

Of course it's viable, until they get jobs they have incredibly flexible schedules and a huge amount of free time. It's not like they don't know how to cook, obviously, so all they have to do is more of it than they're used to doing. It'd be one thing if they had a hefty emergency fund and no debt besides the mortgage, but their emergency fund is fairly modest (looks like about ~3 months worth?) and they have two car payments still and a couple other sizable debts (I forget what Granite State and AES are), so they really need to go lean.

That said, I think budgeting for eating out for a legitimate special occasion like Valentine's day is perfectly reasonable.

Cicero fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Jan 25, 2016

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Veskit posted:

She lost her job, they still want to move.

He lost his job, they still want to move.

She got her independent contractor job, they still want to move.

He got a new sales job, they still want to move.

She lost her IC job, they still want to move.

He lost his sales job, they magically are going to put the house hunting on hold?

You think that's likely, Veskit?

I mean, I don't know how they'd get financed for a new house loan based on employment history, but I WANT I WANT I WANT doesn't wait for anyone.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Spermy Smurf posted:

If he wants to eat out the only place to take money from is from credit, and I hope, i sincerely hope that after 2+ years of this he's learned not to use credit to eat out or do things that he wants and instead eats the moving budget. I think he's at that point at least. Where I don't think he's at is.....

Cicero posted:

Of course it's viable, until they get jobs they have incredibly flexible schedules and a huge amount of free time. It's not like they don't know how to cook, obviously, so all they have to do is more of it than they're used to doing. It'd be one thing if they had a hefty emergency fund and no debt besides the mortgage, but their emergency fund is fairly modest (looks like about ~3 months worth?) and they have two car payments still and a couple other sizable debts (I forget what Granite State and AES are), so they really need to go lean.

That said, I think budgeting for eating out for a legitimate special occasion like Valentine's day is perfectly reasonable.

Eh I won't argue it, and it's not a slight against dogs, but I don't think he can handle only eating out on Valentine's day for feb. Though I think it would be a good motivator to make something qualifying on eating out or drinking, like hitting a certain amount of interviews, or getting a new job. Instead of having a hard budget item just come up with a restaurant incentive based off finding a job for you and the wife.

Is that a good middle ground? I really don't see cold turkey happening given the history.

DogsCantBudget
Jul 8, 2013

Spermy Smurf posted:

She lost her job, they still want to move.

He lost his job, they still want to move.

She got her independent contractor job, they still want to move.

He got a new sales job, they still want to move.

She lost her IC job, they still want to move.

He lost his sales job, they magically are going to put the house hunting on hold?

I mean, I don't know how they'd get financed for a new house loan based on employment history, but I WANT I WANT I WANT doesn't wait for anyone.

Wanting and acting on it are different thing. If I can, I'll avoid digging into any budget, as I don't think we'll have to till Mid March at current budget amounts. i could have easily emptied the E-Fund and Moving fund last month to put 5% down on a house, but I didn't. You act like we have 0 self control which I think is wrong.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Going out on Valentine's day is miserable. Everything is slammed.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

DCB are you holding down the fort?

DogsCantBudget
Jul 8, 2013

Veskit posted:

DCB are you holding down the fort?

Well the good news is: Wife got a job. Bad news, I still have no job. We're able to survive with minimal "E Fund" dipping as long as one of us has a job(especially me, since I command(ed) a higher salary.

I have some other wierdness, but I will hold it till my 3/1 post. I went over on some budget categories but plan to pay it back in mid March. I bet I'll get bitched at when the time comes to fess up what it's for. No I didn't buy a camaro or gaming computer. Yes it was an investment.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Well, do you feel like it was a good idea that we are going to disagree with or do you think it was a bad idea and we're going to disagree with it?

DogsCantBudget
Jul 8, 2013

Veskit posted:

Well, do you feel like it was a good idea that we are going to disagree with or do you think it was a bad idea and we're going to disagree with it?

OK idea that you might disagree with? Probably a good idea?

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Was it buying your stock options before they expired? That's not always the worst idea, though it depends a lot on the details.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

I'm betting it's some sort of rare firearm. Isn't something along those lines what you used to do?

DogsCantBudget
Jul 8, 2013

Horking Delight posted:

Was it buying your stock options before they expired? That's not always the worst idea, though it depends a lot on the details.

Haven't decided on that yet. Have 2 months to figure that out still. Was gonna wait until I had a job to make that decision.

BloodBag posted:

I'm betting it's some sort of rare firearm. Isn't something along those lines what you used to do?

Nah, wasn't really into rare guns. That hobby which you are referring to has sorta fallen away regardless.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I promise I won't chastise you if you say it and just get it over with

DogsCantBudget
Jul 8, 2013

Veskit posted:

I promise I won't chastise you if you say it and just get it over with

HAHA I feel like I am being talked to by my dad.

So we spend the last month cleaning the house. We'd actually started talking about this a few months back when my wife first got laid off. We had a 4th bedroom that had been sorta a "dumping ground" of sorts, with all sorts of crap strewn all over it, and unusable as a bedroom. Now of course, we don't need 4 bedrooms. We had our master, one as an office, one as guest room, and now this 4th room. We cleaned it out and set it up as a proper bedroom. There was some cost to this because we had to buy a dresser and nightstand from ikea, along with some other minor furniture.

The end goal was renting our home via AirBNB for a few of the festivals, etc that happen in Austin. One coming up soon is SXSW. Our house has already been rented. This first rental will be a "wash" because of the expenses we had prepping the house for AirBNB. Our net income(after putting aside 40% for taxes) will be -38$, but in the process we furnished and setup a room for family and friends to stay in.

It does however make some of the budget categories look way overspent.

DogsCantBudget fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Feb 16, 2016

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
You may consider putting a new line item for AirBNB expenses.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Well, at least you can't get evicted for breaking a lease.

Do you plan on getting insurance in case a tenant damages/steals something or is that not a concern?

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Does Austin have any bullshit rules like San Francisco where you can accidentally end up with a tenant?

DogsCantBudget
Jul 8, 2013

SiGmA_X posted:

You may consider putting a new line item for AirBNB expenses.

Not a bad idea...I doubt there are any upcoming after this though..

Horking Delight posted:

Well, at least you can't get evicted for breaking a lease.

Do you plan on getting insurance in case a tenant damages/steals something or is that not a concern?

AirBNB covers that

Veskit posted:

Does Austin have any bullshit rules like San Francisco where you can accidentally end up with a tenant?
Thankfully no, cuz Texas!

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

DogsCantBudget posted:

AirBNB covers that

Well okay then, I guess.

I'm sure they'd take care of things if you complain.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Wait, so are you just renting out the fourth room for SXSW, or that and the guest room? Given your current lack of job, renting both of them out as often as possible seems like kind of a no-brainer win if it makes okay money.

DogsCantBudget
Jul 8, 2013

Cicero posted:

Wait, so are you just renting out the fourth room for SXSW, or that and the guest room? Given your current lack of job, renting both of them out as often as possible seems like kind of a no-brainer win if it makes okay money.
Renting out 3 out of 4 bedrooms.

So to protect against this, I have security cameras in the house, and will be watching...I also live far enough away from downtown that people don't really "party" out here.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Ahh, not a downtown party palace. More of a suburban swinger pad.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
If you're careful and screen based on reviews and asking the right questions, it should be fine.

DogsCantBudget
Jul 8, 2013

Rurutia posted:

If you're careful and screen based on reviews and asking the right questions, it should be fine.

I will admit to loving this up this time around. I had instant book set up, and so didn't get a chance to screen him, and he's not verified...but I will be taking copies of all ID's upon arrival, and have some security camera's up in the house as well(which I'll be watching like a hawk!). I did google him so know who he is/what he's about. I also plan to remove some things from the house(such as firearms).

DogsCantBudget fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Feb 17, 2016

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx
I want to read the listing now. "Don't mind the guy watching you sleep via the cameras, it's all part of the local color :keke:"

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Series DD Funding posted:

I want to read the listing now. "Don't mind the guy watching you sleep via the cameras, it's all part of the local color :keke:"

Cameras for research purposes only.

Also, strange rear end people in Austin would likely think it's awesome and show him their hairy bunghole over CCTV.

DogsCantBudget
Jul 8, 2013

Series DD Funding posted:

No, the cameras are only in common areas.

BloodBag posted:

Cameras for research purposes only.

Also, strange rear end people in Austin would likely think it's awesome and show him their hairy bunghole over CCTV.

Tune in to my-free-bnb-cams.com soon! It's my next wacky business idea

DogsCantBudget
Jul 8, 2013
So it's good news/bad news time:

Good news: We both got jobs. I am expecting an offer today, wife is currently working! I expect to start work on Monday.

More good news: This month(february) we put aside 2000 dollars to be used in March.

Bad news:
Just got a notice from my mortgage provider that we have an escrow shortfall. This was probably because of the refi we did ~6months ago. They had sent us a 2k "overflow" which we had put aside, but they want it back now. On top of that, our taxes are going up 130$ a month, because they finally appraised our house correctly.

So we have 3 options

We have the money to pay the 2k in full now, but as you can see, we don't have to. It would increase our monthly payments if we don't pay in full now. What say you BWM braintrust?

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
I'd just pay the whole thing.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

n8r posted:

I'd just pay the whole thing.

What's the total additional cost (in fees, extra interest, etc) if you wait a month or two? I wouldn't be terribly comfortable spending that until after your wife starts and/or you sign the offer letter (and/or start)

DogsCantBudget
Jul 8, 2013

Horking Delight posted:

What's the total additional cost (in fees, extra interest, etc) if you wait a month or two? I wouldn't be terribly comfortable spending that until after your wife starts and/or you sign the offer letter (and/or start)

It's not a lot(it looks like pennies from my quick math). Wife is already working and I am planning to start on Monday.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Like my mortgage provider, they're just splitting the shortfall over the next 12 payments, no penalties or interest. It's effectively a $2169.15 loan at 0%. I think you should take it and pay nothing now, assuming you won't impulsively spend the retained $2k, which you obviously have not done so far!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

I guess Austin County appraisal district took less time than HCAD. I'm still waiting for that lovely 'your escrow is short, gib money plz' letter I seem to get every year. gently caress owning a house. If I pay off the whole thing, I still have to come out of pocket $300+ to just own this place because Harris County gets theirs.

• Locked thread