Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
some of you may remember I was going to sell my 76 rabbit because the floors were completely rusted this summer. Well i just wanted to let you all know that I ended up actually keeping it, so i went ahead and ordered a new driver side floor pan and welded it in along with some patch work with good metal. then I used POR15 to weather/rust proof the floors and prevent any further spreading of rust. once that was done I used a few tubes of seam sealer to seal up all the welds and such, and finally I laid the carpet etc back in. I also refinished the underside of the car.

anyway take a look:

started w this:

things started off rocky with my first welds. I was learning as I went so my first welds were pretty awful but I eventually got th ehang of it. the thing to keep in mind was that my entire driver side floor was gone. it was a flinstone car

I had to put in a large patch of 18g steel under the seat rail, which i had to cut out and weld back in

a friend of mine was cutting me custom patches of good quality metal. It helped alot in patching

much better welding now:

first coat of por 15:

picked up some cheap anti fatigue foam mats at harbor frieght and cut em to size. cheap sound dampening, extra cush under the carpet, and another barrier for water. i like how they worked out!

heh, anyway, cya guys later

:D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
those seats will be comfy while waiting for AAA.

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot
put a 'busa motor in it

naem
May 29, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

jerkstore77 posted:

those seats will be comfy while waiting for AAA.

The pass seat is pretty comfy but the drivers is well worn so you can feel the springs in your lumbar. Its a shame because a few years ago my wife had a mk3 GTI with MK1 trophy recaros and we sold the mk3 with the recaros to some idiot who didnt even want or appreciate them. mk1 trophy recaros are awesome seats and id love to get a set again

well, hope that answered your question!

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

i used to have an 87 2.0 16v shitrocco with cams, headers, and non-cat exhaust and stuff and it was a little death wedge but i put it into a ditch one night and thats all she wrote!

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot
Aren't MK3 sport seats basically clones of the earlier Recaros? get some of those out of a junkyard. I had a '97 GTI like a million years ago.

a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

numberoneposter posted:

i used to have an 87 2.0 16v shitrocco with cams, headers, and non-cat exhaust and stuff and it was a little death wedge but i put it into a ditch one night and thats all she wrote!

smdh, siroccos are awesome. I love the new one they put out a few years ago but they wont release it in america which is a drat shame.

City of Tampa posted:

Aren't MK3 sport seats basically clones of the earlier Recaros? I had a '97 GTI like a million years ago.

Somewhat, and all of them are basically interchangeable

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
grovercar

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
Is that SpeedGem's house?

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot
PUT A 'BUSA MOTOR IN IT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXp8TF2546o

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice
I thought it was cool to put rust ON VWs, not take it off? :rice: Cool color anyway.

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

A thread that's a shining example of actual automotive insanity

Qadaffi Taffy
Oct 1, 2006

3.14159 26535 89793 23846 26433 83279 50288 41971 69399 37510
Cool car nice job

Bippie Mishap
Oct 12, 2012

These cars are being sold in CA rust free for less than you put into repairing the floor.

a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bippie Mishap posted:

These cars are being sold in CA rust free for less than you put into repairing the floor.

No I don't think that's true since I spent less than $200 and california is gay as fucj enjoy Ur smog tests and poo poo haha

a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Piearesquared posted:

Cool car nice job

Thanks!

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

its a cool car imo im glad you kept it

Bippie Mishap
Oct 12, 2012

If California gay as gently caress (I'll allow your pretend FYAD mistyping) then ok I'll be gay as gently caress because all the cars are rust free and I got an original stock rust free 1970 FJ40 Land Cruiser 30k miles for $1K so yes please I'm gay as gently caress.

Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014
You seem pretty handy with this kind of thing, grats on ya; just make sure your strut towers are solid.
Suspension work is p hard or expensive but don't let balljoint separate like I did.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Came expecting ugly, obscure wheels, boser hood and a dtm tip. This is pretty sweet.

Cosmic Charlie
Apr 6, 2009

How do you do? Truckin' in style along the avenue
You should've put in some awesome hidden compartments and maybe one of those oil sprayers/caltrop droppers to aid in high speed chases

the damn Ruskis are back
Jan 25, 2006

And blew, Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came!
This is in the wrong subforum.

Stuff about rabbits belongs in pet island.

Anyway good on you I sold my 84 jetta gli years ago as rust got too bad for me to repair

a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

This is awesome btw

Ill probably just put a standard 16v 2.0 ABA from a mk3 whenever this original motor dies.

exspurt analcyst posted:

You seem pretty handy with this kind of thing, grats on ya; just make sure your strut towers are solid.
Suspension work is p hard or expensive but don't let balljoint separate like I did.
Yeah my strut towers are perfect and i just recently replaced the suspension all around. It rides great. Put all OEM SACHS stuff in from Germanautoparts.com

TEAYCHES posted:

its a cool car imo im glad you kept it

Yeah me too. I went out and bought a 2012 GTI to have something else as a daily driver but I still love driving the rabbit because it actually feels like a car and not a video game. I would have really regretted selling it.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
Recaro brought back sport seats that look just like that, IIRC they're $300 each new.
I have 90s ones in my Volvo, and I think they're great!

Love the car!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I never would have thought of doing anti-fatigue mats for sound deadening, that's pretty clever. Car looks great, glad you kept it.

Now that you've done welding I'm sure seat upholstery can't be that much harder. Pull that seat apart and put some new foam in it!

a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I never would have thought of doing anti-fatigue mats for sound deadening, that's pretty clever. Car looks great, glad you kept it.

Now that you've done welding I'm sure seat upholstery can't be that much harder. Pull that seat apart and put some new foam in it!

Probably be my next task honestly because I have to take the seat covers off anyway to replace the cable that runs inside the seats to move them forward.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
Its true that Rabbits are all over here in California, though not in that color.

Also, what happened to language standards, this thread reads like VWVortex.

a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DJ Commie posted:

Its true that Rabbits are all over here in California, though not in that color.

Also, what happened to language standards, this thread reads like VWVortex.

I started it in GBS.

I put some new fuel lines in today and a new mechanical fuel pump but its still not turning over. Starter cranks, lines look good, filter is fine, spark from distributer and I even sprayed the carb with fuel and still nothing.

Will update as I go.

e:

Here is the new pump and lines for kicks:

a creepy colon fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Nov 5, 2014

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Those diaphragm pumps often need to be primed before they'll be of much use, but if it won't even hiccup on starting fluid / spritz of fuel in the carb then something else is wrong. Easy to tell if you have fuel at the carb if you can see and hear the accel pumps squirting. If you've got fuel and you've got spark, that means that either timing or compression isn't right. Do a compression test and go from there.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
^^Pretty much that!

It should run if it has spark, unless either the timing or order is completely off, or the can timing skipped a tooth.

Pull the plugs, check compression, recheck firing order. Clean or replace plugs.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Awesome work. Got a Mk2 scirocco that I need to work on some body work and I keep putting it off. This thread is good motivation for me to get my poo poo together instead of doing stuff like cutting up truck mudflaps for new ones and rivoting them on.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I never would have thought of doing anti-fatigue mats for sound deadening, that's pretty clever.

This. I'm going to rip out the carpet pad I put in the Miata in the spring and do this.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Since they're rubber I'd worry about any water that soaks into the carpet getting trapped under them. Is that a reasonable concern? Seems like with dynamat and similar, they seal well enough to the floor that nothing can get under it.

a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mafoose posted:

Pull the plugs, check compression, recheck firing order. Clean or replace plugs.

Yeah ill be pretty much doing this tomorrow. I highly doubt the belt skipped or my timing is off. The car drove about half way home from my friends garage, 5-10 miles highway and it was running smooth. The starter is having no problems turning the engine either. Im leaning towards some kind of ignition problem here.

Raluek posted:

Since they're rubber I'd worry about any water that soaks into the carpet getting trapped under them. Is that a reasonable concern? Seems like with dynamat and similar, they seal well enough to the floor that nothing can get under it.
I had the same concern until i saw that water I had spilled over night in a friends garage on top of the same matting was still there like 2 days later. Its very non-porous and wont soak any water up unless like completely submerged. Theoretically you could have some water soak in around the rockers and get under the foam but in this case the carpet would have to be extremely saturated and thus pretty noticeable.

So id say it is a reasonable concern but as long as you kept your eyes out for it, should be easy enough to avoid.

I got the idea from someone else who had done their floors on vwvortex and they said they had been using it for a few years now with no problems at all. Someone else i spoke with actually tried to used yoga mat material from wal-mart and had to tear it all out later because it ended up heating up and giving off a terrible chemical smell.

a creepy colon fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Nov 6, 2014

a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah, starting to lean towards the plugs:

At least there wasnt any oil or coolant on em. I think theyre just old.

a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Still wont turn over. Compression is super lower at only around 30psi. No oil on the plugs or anything so not head gasket right? If it slipped timing could that effect compression? This is a non-interference engine so I shouldnt have any damage. Valve seals? rings? Ack help meh!

Pulled the valve cover today:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
OK first of all, "turn over" generally means "spins with the starter" and it sounds like that's what you are able to do. So you did a compression test and you are only getting 30PSI??? Yeah, that's no bueno. Bent valves? Is it even across all the cylinders? That's a compression ratio of 2:1. Is the cam spinning when you crank it?

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
I'm not sure why no oil on the plugs means the head gasket is good. Slipped timing could affect your compression as the piston would only be compressing air for part of its stroke.

Are you getting 30psi on all cylinders? Can you post the readings from each cylinder?

Nice car, by the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Raluek posted:

OK first of all, "turn over" generally means "spins with the starter" and it sounds like that's what you are able to do. So you did a compression test and you are only getting 30PSI??? Yeah, that's no bueno. Bent valves? Is it even across all the cylinders? That's a compression ratio of 2:1. Is the cam spinning when you crank it?

Ok to clarify, the starter is turning fine.

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

I'm not sure why no oil on the plugs means the head gasket is good. Slipped timing could affect your compression as the piston would only be compressing air for part of its stroke.

Are you getting 30psi on all cylinders? Can you post the readings from each cylinder?

Nice car, by the way.
The firing order is 1-3-4-2. So I didnt have much time today to tool around and decided to test just 1 & 3, so I cant say its 30psi across all cylinders but if it was uniform across all cylinders would you suspect head gasket? I will definitely check the other two next time im under the hood.

• Locked thread