Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orv
May 4, 2011
They're moving to UE, assets will mostly transfer fine but it'll have to be rewritten from the ground up. A shame, but probably better than the alternatives at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
What they're doing is really smart. They're not going to be taking revenue for The Repopulation, but they'll be using the assets to create a separate game while The Repopulation is being developed, so the assholes at IF won't receive a dime (even though they're using UE4 now, their contract says all revenue for The Repopulation receives over the next 3 years since putting it on Steam (so if it takes 2 years, that's good).

It's all looking good too. I think the transition to UE4 will benefit everybody.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yLraupGaSY

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Jan 31, 2016

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

That's good to hear they are doing something to not just starve while hero engine twiddles their thumbs but maaaaan... an open world survival pvp game is just.. the biggest wettest fart ever.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

randombattle posted:

That's good to hear they are doing something to not just starve while hero engine twiddles their thumbs but maaaaan... an open world survival pvp game is just.. the biggest wettest fart ever.

Well I mean it makes sense, get funding from another game that IF can't get their hands on while they redevelop the entire game, cash in on the current survival pvp craze, meanwhile they can work on the systems necessary for The Repopulation without going out of their way. Not to mention it'll likely act as a testbed for their experimental mechanics.

To be honest, it's loving brilliant, it solves every single one of their problems, including keeping people moderately happy with waiting another 2 years (minimum).

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

I'm just so sick of lovely early access open world pvp survival games that I have an anti-desire to get a free one.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k
I still don't think the game will ever be good, but this is actually very good news for anyone who believes Repop will be a good game. Hero Engine is really bad and the dev team was really struggling to make it work for them with their small team. They should have a lot easier job making things work in UE4 and will no longer be plagued with the horrible map design choices they were forced to accept in Hero Engine.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k
lol, nevermind. I just watched the fragmented game footage, and it looks like they decided to use their same lovely textures and models lol. Shocking they'd choose to do that considering what UE4 is capable of. At least it'll run better though...

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer

randombattle posted:

the biggest wettest fart ever.

This, a thousand times. Also pls replace your 2012 models with 2016 models, and give lighting another go now that you're in UE thx bby

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

FireWhizzle posted:

This, a thousand times. Also pls replace your 2012 models with 2016 models, and give lighting another go now that you're in UE thx bby

That requires money. Not losing 60% of your profits before you ever see a dime will certainly help if it sells though, which I'm sure it will because a decent looking survival game is still a license to print money. (Steam's rumored 30% + HeroEngine's 30% of all profits)

I gotta hand it to them, it looks pretty good considering it was thrown together in two months using their existing assets.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME
I'm just glad they're doing *something* rather than nothing.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

Gravy Boat 2k

Alexander DeLarge posted:

I gotta hand it to them, it looks pretty good considering it was thrown together in two months using their existing assets.

No it doesn't.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

It looks better than dozens of early access open world survival pvp kill me now games. Which is a low bar.

But it is a technically sound idea and at least they can do something.

imatree
Nov 18, 2005
ok...

Grimey Drawer
Well, apparently this game will be delayed, and probably for a good while.

http://steamcommunity.com/gid/103582791436952716/announcements/detail/852673624834367298

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
https://www.therepopulation.com/index.php/news/276-april-2016-newsletter

#ibelieve

Contractually I think they're obligated to give 30% of all The Repopulation revenue for the next year, so if they monetize Fragmented to keep development going and use it as a foundation for The Repopulation (resuming sale early next year), that's loving brilliant.

Fragmented is pretty cool too. If anyone wants to play, register for a key.

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

Woops never registered my steam copy to the backer potal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

I'll have to get a key. I don't like these kinds of games but man I like these devs for whatever reason. They're plucky I guess.

• Locked thread