Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Over on their forums, the devs are actually talking about implementing new features exclusively for the hardcore ruleset that would drastically change gameplay. Seems to be they're not just going to change a couple things and leave it as is for the most part.

Admin posted in the sickness/wound thread. Could be a really neat mechanic, reminds me of the pretty serious debuffs that doctors would need to cure you of back in SWG, this would make PVP over contested territory very interesting.

https://www.therepopulation.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=34

Started a new character on the East. The new tutorial is amazing. If they can polish this up by November and do a soft launch this year with a full launch next year, I can see this being the next Star Wars Galaxies. This game has so much potential, I just don't want to see it squandered due to nonsensical bugs and performance issues.

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Jul 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

advion
Jul 25, 2005
Maybe I'm just twisted but I really enjoyed the wound stuff from SWG as basic as it was so I would be for some sort of version in this.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

advion posted:

Maybe I'm just twisted but I really enjoyed the wound stuff from SWG as basic as it was so I would be for some sort of version in this.

I just thought it was really cool because you'd have camps set up in PVP and outside instances. It'd be a nice implementation for the hardcore version. Gives one more (huge) reason to become a medic too.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME
Don't know if you're talking about SWG or not, but while I did love their medic role and the mechanics therein, unfortunately a lot of them devolved to bots that were completely automated. It was like a car wash but with a doctor, you'd walk in, /tip or whatever the bot doc, and then be off on your adventure.

No interacting, no role-playing, nothing. Little more than visiting a NPC really. I hope Repop doesn't go quite the same route. :(

edit: dancers were the same way; neat idea, bad implementation.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
Goon friends is this game worth playing now? I got it when it launched on EA and it was an abortion, is it playable, and are goons playing as well now?

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Kimsemus posted:

Goon friends is this game worth playing now? I got it when it launched on EA and it was an abortion, is it playable, and are goons playing as well now?

Don't know if goons are actively playing, it's still pretty unrefined, but it's definitely the best playable sandbox MMO on the market. I posted on the forums and they're considering a November soft launch for people who have memberships where characters are saved.

Honestly I think the game is six months of polish from full release beyond the targeted winter 2015 date they're trying for, but it's nice to see they're willing to do the soft launch if they don't feel it's ready.

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jul 21, 2015

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k
If you guys want a custom armor logo in this game, let me know. I'll make it happen.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

quote:

Forget what you might have seen or played of The Repopulation’s PvP in the past, because the upcoming sandbox MMO is bringing to bear an overhauled interpersonal conflict system that could suck you in.

The team announced that it has recently completed a top-down revamp of the PvP system, allowing players to lay siege to enemy cities, conquer settlements, and fight over the Shattered Heights fort. Sieges will be massive events spanning three days apiece, although the opportunity to plunder and use an enemy town could be well worth the effort and resources expended.
http://massivelyop.com/2015/07/28/t...campaign=buffer

Wonder how they're going to work this into the hardcore ruleset.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Alexander DeLarge posted:

http://massivelyop.com/2015/07/28/t...campaign=buffer

Wonder how they're going to work this into the hardcore ruleset.

How so? This was always part of the initial concept and it looks like everything has remained the same. The implementation of these systems has always been delayed because they had more pressing issues... like people falling through the earth, ridiculous rubber-banding through zones, and implementing other baseline features (like healing).

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
I got this off steam recently and gave it a few hours today. A couple of things if anyone knows the answers:

1) There's this dust blowing effect of black poo poo across the screen, how can I switch it off. It's hideously irritating to me and the constant motion makes me think things are moving when there's nothing about. I'm sure some dev thought it was a great idea and is really proud of it but there's no way I can play something long term with that going on.
2) I talked to the robot guy and got a robot. It followed me which was great but it made a shitload of beepy-bloopy noises all the drat time so I hit dismiss. Now I can't find the icon to re-summon it when I go out to fight things and actually want it around or does dismiss in this game mean delete forever?
3) When you loot the corpse and hit enhance it seems to lock you in. I've died a couple of times by being attacked while that little window was still up and the game refused to connect my panicy shooting with the new target. Is there a way round this? Cancel the looting?

Fishing is a bit weird the way it flips you around to where it thinks you ought to be looking and the splash can be hard to tell apart from the cast splash but it works. Apart from that it seems to be a reasonable game for the current dev state and you sure can make some delightfully ugly characters with the creation tool. I'm using light armour and automatic weapons but I have no idea what benefits heavy/medium would get me or other weapon types. How much PvP is forced on people? Do you have to go into contested areas for the best node harvests or can you ignore PvP completely with no detrimental affect on other aspects.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

I think the robot is a one-use thing.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
Is anyone still loving around with this?

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

I log in occasionally to see what has changed but I think most are waiting until release before getting too heavily involved.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

Gravy Boat 2k
I log in from time to time to see what's changed. I'm also mainly waiting for launch; however, with rumors that 'launch' might occur sooner rather than later, I'm a bit nervous.

Of note/importance: Goon-specific armor is on the way :aaaaa:

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Yeah they keep saying there will be wipes and whatnot in the future so everyone is more or less just waiting for it to be more feature complete.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

2DCAT posted:

Of note/importance: Goon-specific armor is on the way :aaaaa:

Elaborate? :aaaaa:

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

randombattle posted:

Yeah they keep saying there will be wipes and whatnot in the future so everyone is more or less just waiting for it to be more feature complete.

This.

However buying one of the founders packs is probably worth it for the benefits it will get you come launch. They've been vague on exactly what some of the poo poo in the packs actually is, but it shouldn't disappoint, even if just for the Silver or Gold membership deal.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME
Mention of the goon armor made me look at their updates, and while I didn't see anything to do with armor I was intrigued by their dancer/story teller/diplomacy update, in particular they kept mentioning "minigame". I thought, 'Oh great, like a dance-dance-revolution for dancers in game or something? Cool!' but it's just a new toolbar, with three different options to click on.

That's not a minigame and I don't know why they keep calling it that, it's literally a new toolbar that pops up with abilities to choose from.

Oh and hacking was another one I think, but it also was not an actual minigame (insomuch as Fallout hacking, Bioshock hacking, etc.). I don't know if they keep calling them minigames for the purposes of PR or what, but it seems sort of disingenuous to me.

You can see the minigame in :nws:this:nws: video (video game near nudity I guess?). The new toolbar that pops up is in the middle near the top, what a fun and innovative :airquote:minigame:airquote:.

KiddieGrinder fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Aug 21, 2015

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

Gravy Boat 2k

Anticheese posted:

Elaborate? :aaaaa:

I'll have a photo update in a few weeks ;) patience!

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

Gravy Boat 2k

KiddieGrinder posted:

I was intrigued by their dancer/story teller/diplomacy update, in particular they kept mentioning "minigame". I thought, 'Oh great, like a dance-dance-revolution for dancers in game or something? Cool!' but it's just a new toolbar, with three different options to click on.

Yeah, that's pretty... lackluster :(

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Packages are 25% off, I'd recommend doing it since this will likely be the last sale before the game goes into a feature complete beta stage.

Read up on the differences between silver, gold and platinum.

Whitefire
Oct 9, 2007

DEE DEEEEE
Got in on it for 15 bux, looks fun enough to blow my entire night off on it. Then i'll just play enough to learn how to not be terrible, and wait for Goon City to begin.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

The Repopulation newsletter posted:

25% Sale ends Friday Morning

Our PAX Prime 2015 Sale ends Friday morning, September 4, at 10 AM PDT (1 PM EDT, 5 PM GMT). We have packages on sale on both our website as well as Steam. Pledge Upgrades are also available at the 25% discount on our website.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Hardcore server soon (full loot with some more punishing mechanics being added)

https://twitter.com/therepopulation/status/640935320028995584

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

Hardcore server soon (full loot with some more punishing mechanics being added)

https://twitter.com/therepopulation/status/640935320028995584

This server will be dead a few weeks after launch.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

I was thinking about actually buying into this. Is there a place where they say what the difference is between a silver, gold, and platinum membership is?

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY
I did see a page a while back saying exactly this but I cant find it now, theyre pretty crap at publishing this stuff but I found this:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/322300/discussions/0/611698195154884957/

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Ahdinko posted:

I did see a page a while back saying exactly this but I cant find it now, theyre pretty crap at publishing this stuff but I found this:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/322300/discussions/0/611698195154884957/

Okay, that actually is way better then what I could find. So it looks like the different tiers just means more slots which is something I'm sure you can pay for in the marketplace one-time when the game goes live. I'm sure they will have the usual +% to XP so hopefully they scale too. Thanks!

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

jabro posted:

Okay, that actually is way better then what I could find. So it looks like the different tiers just means more slots which is something I'm sure you can pay for in the marketplace one-time when the game goes live. I'm sure they will have the usual +% to XP so hopefully they scale too. Thanks!

There's also some restrictions on founding nations, whatever that actually means, that seems only gold can do.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Doesn't matter. One forum, one nation. :colbert:

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

THE PWNER posted:

This server will be dead a few weeks after launch.

Assuming they're smart and do 1 normal/1 hardcore server per major market, it'll be alright. Based on what I've seen them say, they're not willing to compromise the community to sustain a couple more players. Rather have queues for the first couple days than open up twenty servers and have only one or two of them survive.

Mikemo Tyson
Apr 30, 2008
So I just heard about this from an SWG Emu thread (what's up Alexander!) and it looks like a cross between Tabula Rasa and SWG. I immediately pulled my credit card out but there's no purchase page on their steam page? Is something currently broken?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Mikemo Tyson posted:

So I just heard about this from an SWG Emu thread (what's up Alexander!) and it looks like a cross between Tabula Rasa and SWG. I immediately pulled my credit card out but there's no purchase page on their steam page? Is something currently broken?

According to a post on their Steam forum they have an issue with their account creation system so they've stopped accepting purchases at the moment. Was posted last Wednesday so who knows what the time frame for that looks like.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Mikemo Tyson posted:

Basically the platform they're using (HeroEngine/HeroCloud) was notified last week that the investor who was investing into their platform backed out for unspecified reasons and while they've convinced the data center to keep their servers online, they're looking for alternative funding. Now, I spoke with one of the devs on The Repopulation and he said that worst case scenario is, they'll have to buy a source license and host the platform themselves, but that's the least of their worries if these guys stop iterating on new features for The Repopulation guys to use, because I doubt they're going to want to use an engine/platform that isn't being developed anymore.

Completely outside of their control so they have my complete sympathy, but this could be really, really bad, as in "we got to move over to another engine and recode all these mechanics and quests" bad. Fortunately, all their assets are completely fine so I'd say worst case scenario, a year/year and a half on top of the target release date.

However, if this blows over, they have a massive patch waiting to be applied, along with the hardcore ruleset/server that's going to be very active while we figure things out. It's what I've been waiting for the past year to play.

Edit: I was reading the TOS and if HeroEngine goes out of business, they get a source license.

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Nov 9, 2015

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Man, that is hardcore. I wonder if they will be able to even keep the lights on if they have to push it back a year

Orv
May 4, 2011
Maybe EA/Bioware will buy out HeroEngine and they can license it from them or something. Though that might be a worse outcome depending.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Man, that is hardcore. I wonder if they will be able to even keep the lights on if they have to push it back a year

I'm sure they'll make it through, their team is pretty small and they have like $300,000-$400,000 in crowdfunding according to their site in addition to Early Access sales. It's just a matter of how long it would take.

Assuming all 35,000 players bought it at the discounted $15 rate versus the $30 figure, they're looking at $525,000 and that's not including any of the crowdfunding users. I'd be very, very surprised if they were low on funds.

They were talking about doing a soft launch where player data would be saved to promote beta testing so they could definitely still do that and work on the engine transition while the game is "live".

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Wow that's super rough. This was always one of those games that I kept bookmarked and check back in on from time to time to see how it's going, considering how much I loved SWG. I knew it was never going to be great, but it didn't exactly have to be.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I'm sure they'll make it through, their team is pretty small and they have like $300,000-$400,000 in crowdfunding according to their site in addition to Early Access sales. It's just a matter of how long it would take.

Assuming all 35,000 players bought it at the discounted $15 rate versus the $30 figure, they're looking at $525,000 and that's not including any of the crowdfunding users. I'd be very, very surprised if they were low on funds.

They were talking about doing a soft launch where player data would be saved to promote beta testing so they could definitely still do that and work on the engine transition while the game is "live".

I guess it will depend on how much goes into the new engine, some of them can be relatively cheap but some of the higher end ones can add up to half the cost of the entire game, which is huge for an indie developer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juchero
Feb 15, 2008

Wedge Regret
So, there's no way to get into early access anymore?

I don't see a way to buy it off steam, and their website has nothing in the way of purchasing access.

Am I missing something?

• Locked thread