Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

wateroverfire posted:

If these issues are being discussed in generalitiies like "minimum wage increases are (good|bad|problematic|necessary|SOCIALLY JUST|a fetish of mine)"

:golfclap:

Avocados posted:

I'd like to have a sufficient amount of knowledge if I have to discuss these things or hear about them on the news, moreso if I'm the one voting for them. But it seems like it's a lot to take in when everyone is offering to give you their totally expert opinion. How do I remain well informed without having to write my own thesis on hot button issues such as these?

If there's any data to be had then try to find the source, if the source seems trustworthy (bad studies thrive in unprofessional journals) and you're still not convinced then check the methodology used to gather the data for signs of bias or un-substantiated conclusions. There's really not much more to it then that, you can't be an expert on everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread