Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common
I congratulate you for understanding the difficulty inherent with bias.

As a corporate lawyer I have to cope with perspective and bias problems all the time. Trying to determine perspective of adversarial positions on a current issue is nearly impossible unless you look backwards in time - that's exactly why internet news sources are useless for understanding viewpoints that oppose your own. If I'm researching a legal issue I have legal resources that aren't relevant here, but for non-legal issues I have to go elsewhere.

This sounds absolutely ridiculous, but I usually start with Wikipedia for everything unless I'm looking up specific case law. The minimum wage in the US Wikipedia article is not terribly helpful in this case, but it's at least a starting point. Of course, you can't cite Wikipedia as a primary source (usually), but you can sometimes identify the source of the competing viewpoints' theories and biases and how exactly they conflict. I can only imagine how your classroom discussion went, but minimum wage arguments are hyperpartisan and this issue in particular is one that both sides usually do not argue convincingly at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread