Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I was actually planning on creating a thread along these lines because it's such an important question.

I'm told that Anthropogenic Global Warming is overwhelmingly supported by scientific consensus, but as I'm just a guy who hasn't had any higher education beyond a few computer classes, how could I verify that claim.

My conclusion is that at a certain point, you just have to find an information community that you trust.

The big question is how to pick the right one. Even if you take a pragmatic stance and say "My trusted sources are generally right 80% of the time and wrong 20% of the time" you'll still be really wrong if you made the unwise choice to trust people who believe in reptilian conspiracies.

There are some techniques that I think are useful.

Carl Sagan offers the baloney detection kit: http://www.positiveatheism.org/writ/saganbd.htm#BALONEY

I find it's useful to use advertising as a clue when doing online research or watching TV or listening to the radio.

The article will tell you what the author thinks of the subject, but the ads tell you what the author thinks of the audience.

There was advice earlier to explicitly write out your reasoning for coming to conclusions. I think that sounds like a good technique to avoid fooling yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread