Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Last Friday, my routine that uses SiriusXM was not working in the morning. I disabled the skill and logged back in. The routine still would not work but I could verbally command it to work and it did (on a multi room music group)

This morning, it again said that I needed to link my account. This time, when I try, it says Linking Unsuccessful. I have checked my log in stuff, even changed the password in the process. My phone apps and computer browser work just fine but the echo still says that it cannot link the account.

Any ideas on how to solve this problem?

Having the same problem with tunein and iheart radio. Strangely, it works fine when i play from a single speaker. If i do anything with groups, she tells me she cant do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos
Has anyone tested the Echo security system thing where it can text you if it detects broken glass or a smoke alarm going off?

Does it actually work?

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I have used it but it has never given me a notification. In fact, the last time I did it, our internet went out a day into our vacation so it stopped working.

SiriusXM update: it finally linked my account two nights ago but, by the next morning, it had unlinked them. I linked it again and it worked all day yesterday without an issue. This morning I did not have to link the account but the routine does not play SXM like it is supposed to.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

MorrisBae posted:

Has anyone tested the Echo security system thing where it can text you if it detects broken glass or a smoke alarm going off?

Does it actually work?

I have it set up and never once has it worked. Even when I've tried to trick it and test it. It's a dumb BS feature that doesn't do jack.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Well. I got a new phone on Saturday and my Alexa Auto's don't show up when I turn BT on. Is there something I need to do to get them to forget the old phone?

Edit: jesus christ, I had to do the discovery mode thing 9 times before my phone recognized it.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Feb 4, 2020

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

stevewm posted:

FAT32 doesn't have a 32GB limit. That is an artificial limitation on the Windows format utility. FAT32 technically supports volumes up to 16TB in size. To get around the 32GB limit imposed in Windows you need to use a 3rd party formatting utility. Something like this: https://www.howtogeek.com/316977/how-to-format-usb-drives-larger-than-32gb-with-fat32-on-windows/

rivetz was talking about the file size limit, not the filesystem limit. FAT32 has a 4GB limit on individual files, because it uses unsigned 32-bit values to express file sizes. It doesn’t matter how you format it.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

MorrisBae posted:

Does it actually work?

While away for a week, My smoke alarm got a dead batter and started chirping, I got an alert from alexa and my wyze cams.

Drag was, i had to disable it because the alarm chirped every minute for the next few days until I got home. I was getting alerts every minute

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

Cornjob posted:

While away for a week, My smoke alarm got a dead batter and started chirping, I got an alert from alexa and my wyze cams.

Drag was, i had to disable it because the alarm chirped every minute for the next few days until I got home. I was getting alerts every minute

Can it tell the difference between a "low battery" chirp and a "your poo poo is on fire" chirp?

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

MorrisBae posted:

Can it tell the difference between a "low battery" chirp and a "your poo poo is on fire" chirp?

Based on the experience i just described, no.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Anyone ever have an issue with a classic echo (OG with volume ring) falls off the wifi and refuses to reconnect? Cites a bad password in the Alexa app, despite verifying the password repeatedly.

Edit: The saved password was adding spaces to the end I couldn't see. Thanks, Amazon.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Feb 29, 2020

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

Can anyone compare the Alexa Studio sound quality versus the most recent echo plus & sub?

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

935 posted:

Can anyone compare the Alexa Studio sound quality versus the most recent echo plus & sub?

The studio sounds better. The plus + sub sounds worse, with more bass.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Amazon is currently offering BOGO on the Echo Show 8 if you use the code SHOW82PACK at checkout.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Amazon is currently offering BOGO on the Echo Show 8 if you use the code SHOW82PACK at checkout.

We traded in our echo show and echo spots back in February and got an 8 and 2 show 5. These are awesome and I generally would encourage anyone to get one (especially BOGO).

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Does the $200 Sonos One work as well as a $50 Echo Dot for Alexa?

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

smackfu posted:

Yup but it pisses me off that you can only use Alexa was the wake word.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Oh, very interesting since we have the one I want to replace set up to use “echo” because it overlaps our kitchen one too much and we get stuff triggered in the wrong room if they are both set to “alexa”.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

smackfu posted:

No. The sonos has a few less features. Sounds better though.

If want the best of both worlds get the echo studio.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
The main value of Sonos speakers, IMO, is that (if you're willing to pay the premium for one of the soundbars) you can use the same set as components of a 5.1 system (or multiple 5.1 systems) and as ambient household speakers.

This has opportunity cost these days because the cool new thing is Dolby Atmos, which on a pure technical level would be a great fit for Sonos (it supports arbitrary combinations of up to 24 speakers and has some adaptive mumbo jumbo built into the format to auto-balance the sound for weird speaker sets) but that Sonos as a company has shown zero indication of wanting to support.

If all you want is ambient sound and don't plan to have home theater stuff in the mix, the only reason to go with Sonos would be if you want to just put speakers literally everywhere in your house, since the Ikea Symfonisk is only $100 each for great sound quality and that saved margin adds up quick. No mic or direct Alexa support, but you can just control the system with a Dot or mix in some Ones alongside Symfonisks as part of the same system.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Apr 1, 2020

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
This might be a good time to reach out to your technophobic parents about Smart Displays. My mother-in-law is incredibly tech adverse, still uses a flip-phone and swore that she would never have one of those "Jetson's video phones" in her house unprompted for years.

We sent her a Google Smart Display and it was amazing to see her light up getting to see her son after weeks of shelter-in-place.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

I had bought my mom and Google Home Hub a couple of years ago. I did not realize until now that it does not work with video conferencing. I now wish I would have gotten her an Amazon echo. Oh well, we are making our time with google hangouts and my daughters love it.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I had bought my mom and Google Home Hub a couple of years ago. I did not realize until now that it does not work with video conferencing. I now wish I would have gotten her an Amazon echo. Oh well, we are making our time with google hangouts and my daughters love it.

The Home Hub Max and most of the third party Google Smart Displays do, we sent them a Lenovo 8" Smart Display for $80 but it looks like they are quite backordered now.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
On a whim I opened the Alexa App and looked at my currently installed skills. Turns out I've installed a lot of crap over the years.

Is there any reason to go through and clear a lot of this poo poo out? Like do the companies behind all these skills have access to every Alexa query I make or anything like that?

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
Anyone with the new iPhone SE able to pair it with their Alexa? I have an Echo Plus and even though it shows paired/connected in bluetooth Alexa says no device was found.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Does anybody else have to SCREAM to get your Echo to stop an alarm or timer? I can have loud music or movies playing, an air conditioner blasting, etc and the Echo can hear my speaking voice just fine, but I have to shout like a caveman to get it to stop an alarm. Which works well to get me up in the morning, but it's pretty useless in the kitchen if I have to scream bloody murder whenever my cookies are finished baking.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

Yes, very strange

Dr. Habibi
Sep 24, 2009

Lester Shy posted:

Does anybody else have to SCREAM to get your Echo to stop an alarm or timer? I can have loud music or movies playing, an air conditioner blasting, etc and the Echo can hear my speaking voice just fine, but I have to shout like a caveman to get it to stop an alarm. Which works well to get me up in the morning, but it's pretty useless in the kitchen if I have to scream bloody murder whenever my cookies are finished baking.

Uh, absolutely. Really thought it was just me, but this thing will not ever turn the drat alarm off. I’ve taken to just pulling the cord out of the dot some mornings because of this.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

Lester Shy posted:

To wake me up, have my echo set to play music instead of an alarm.

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
I have that problem where an alarm or music won't stop playing and I have to unplug it to make it stop. Happens about once every few weeks but is annoying as hell since the light circle responds to my voice but then it refuses to process the command. I know it is still connected to the internet because my Pi-Hole shows that every Echo device in my house, including smart plugs, tries to phone home multiple times a minute trying to send god knows what back to Bezos.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Anyone have Echo Frames? I noticed they support iOS now.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Ha, I thought that was an Echo enabled picture frame and that sounded interesting so I googled it and that was not correct.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

Dr. Habibi posted:

Uh, absolutely. Really thought it was just me, but this thing will not ever turn the drat alarm off. I’ve taken to just pulling the cord out of the dot some mornings because of this.

Can't you just push the dot button on top of it or do newer ones not have buttons?

Edit: Eek, just realized that was from June, but meh maybe it will still help.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
I’m in the market for a kitchen / dining room speaker for listening to podcasts while I cook and chill essentially.

I was kind of thinking about a HomePod, but the prices just haven’t come down to a reasonable level, and Siri remains poo poo.

Is the Echo Studio worth it for sound quality vs. the latest echo v4 and google nest audio?
How would I play audio from my iPhone to it - just Bluetooth?

Honestly I’m kind of tempted by the IKEA Symphonisk - which is sonos, so AirPlay 2. Can anyone recommend it?

I can probably live without a microphone enabled for the time being.

p.s. I have a hue bridge and a fair few hue bulbs, but I think every smart option is compatible with those.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
What in the gently caress? I asked my echo "alexa how old is donald trump" and after answering me it played a loving Trump ad? What in the everloving gently caress?

Croatoan fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Oct 14, 2020

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

wooger posted:

I’m in the market for a kitchen / dining room speaker for listening to podcasts while I cook and chill essentially.

I was kind of thinking about a HomePod, but the prices just haven’t come down to a reasonable level, and Siri remains poo poo.

Is the Echo Studio worth it for sound quality vs. the latest echo v4 and google nest audio?
How would I play audio from my iPhone to it - just Bluetooth?

Honestly I’m kind of tempted by the IKEA Symphonisk - which is sonos, so AirPlay 2. Can anyone recommend it?

I can probably live without a microphone enabled for the time being.

p.s. I have a hue bridge and a fair few hue bulbs, but I think every smart option is compatible with those.

If all you want to do is play podcasts and music from your phone, just get a bluetooth speaker. You can always hook an Echo up to it later if you decide you want voice control.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Croatoan posted:

What in the gently caress? I asked my echo "alexa how old is donald trump" and after answering me it played a loving Trump ad? What in the everloving gently caress?

Check your skills, etc. I just did the same and got a boring answer. Same for Joe biden, but it also gave me his birthday. Tried twice to be sure.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Croatoan posted:

Dang I can't believe my advertising cylinder is giving ads.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Deviant posted:

Check your skills, etc. I just did the same and got a boring answer. Same for Joe biden, but it also gave me his birthday. Tried twice to be sure.

I did since you suggested and nothing. So I sat on the phone with them for like 30 minutes and Amazon can't tell me why it's doing it, they have no idea. Mind you it's on a stupid little Echo Spot my MIL gave me which has since been discontinued, the ad wouldn't translate super well to audio only anyway. My assumption is that some chud engineer set up a little easter egg. loving chud. It only does it for Trump too, I tried a bunch of celebrities and nada.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

Three Olives posted:

This might be a good time to reach out to your technophobic parents about Smart Displays. My mother-in-law is incredibly tech adverse, still uses a flip-phone and swore that she would never have one of those "Jetson's video phones" in her house unprompted for years.

We sent her a Google Smart Display and it was amazing to see her light up getting to see her son after weeks of shelter-in-place.

:shobon:

I think I'm going to use "Jetson's ___________" from now on when refrencing newfangled doohickeys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Is "halloween" censored or something? I've been trying to add stuff to my shopping list through voice and the app and

"halloween candy" -> "candy"
"candy for halloween" -> "candy for"
"candy for trick or treat" -> "candy for trick or treat"

I feel like I'm going crazy.