Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.

Dengraz posted:

I've been enjoying using my Sallie Mae Rewards card for Amazon (5% on gas/groceries/bookstores). It has relatively low monthly caps on the cashback per month ($250 for gas/groceries and $750 for bookstores). Also really easy to redeem rewards ($25 increments).

Hm... That $250 cap on gas/groceries is actually probably more than generous for my usual expenditures. Does the 5% for Amazon apply even if you're buying, say, kitchen-type goods? I did see that card in the OP, but for some reason filed it in my brain as related to books only.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

asur posted:

you might want to double check this. A quick look seems to indicate that sign up bonuses from SW cards count, but transfer from Chase Ultimate do not. You can apparently bypass this by transferring to Hyatt first, but it's a 2 - 1 transfer from Hyatt to SW. The easiest way I've heard is to apply for two of the SW cards with 50k offers.

Yeah that was what I heard last time I checked. I did the SW Personal Card and the SW Business Card to get the companion pass.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

A number of years ago I had a bankruptcy discharged. After that I got a bad credit score card from Capitol One that has a yearly fee just so I have a card for emergencies. Since then I've never really carried a balance but USAA refuses to give me a normal credit card. I apply about once a year and am always denied. I haven't really applied at multiple places since I figure they'll likely end up the same? I would like to get a card where i don't pay a fee for it especially since I never really use the card but it seems like I'm kind of screwed right now. Anyone have any experience getting back onto the wagon of normal cards? Am I going to have to wait until it falls off?

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

drat, I guess the credit crunch is fully over. I applied for the Chase Freedom card to pick up the $200 bonus, and got a $22k limit. :lol:

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Raymn posted:

A number of years ago I had a bankruptcy discharged. After that I got a bad credit score card from Capitol One that has a yearly fee just so I have a card for emergencies. Since then I've never really carried a balance but USAA refuses to give me a normal credit card. I apply about once a year and am always denied. I haven't really applied at multiple places since I figure they'll likely end up the same? I would like to get a card where i don't pay a fee for it especially since I never really use the card but it seems like I'm kind of screwed right now. Anyone have any experience getting back onto the wagon of normal cards? Am I going to have to wait until it falls off?

The fact that you weren't carrying a balance at all meant you weren't really building your score. Have you been paying off any other debts, like loans?

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

ETB posted:

The fact that you weren't carrying a balance at all meant you weren't really building your score. Have you been paying off any other debts, like loans?

I have no debt. My credit score is 672 which isn't great but I don't think is awful. I've had a balance a few times but for the most part I haven't really used it. It could very well be that my bank is just being super conservative with handing out cards and if I were to try elsewhere I would have some luck.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Raymn posted:

I have no debt. My credit score is 672 which isn't great but I don't think is awful. I've had a balance a few times but for the most part I haven't really used it. It could very well be that my bank is just being super conservative with handing out cards and if I were to try elsewhere I would have some luck.

That's a fairly decent score, so I'm unsure why USAA is rejecting you. Have you considered another card with a different bank (maybe a credit union), or is there something special about this one?

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

ETB posted:

The fact that you weren't carrying a balance at all meant you weren't really building your score.

Jesus Christ stop spreading this poo poo. It's wildly incorrect. He was building credit by length of account being open. Utilization has no history component to it. It resets every time it's reported.

Brian Fellows
May 29, 2003
I'm Brian Fellows
What a huge win for lenders that myth has been over the years. Ridiculous that so many people believe it.

PAY YOUR CREDIT CARD OFF IN-FULL EVERY MONTH OR YOU SHOULD NOT HAVE A REWARD CREDIT CARD.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

ETB posted:

That's a fairly decent score, so I'm unsure why USAA is rejecting you. Have you considered another card with a different bank (maybe a credit union), or is there something special about this one?

No reason other than I like them. I had sort of used it as a litmus test to see if I would qualify for anything else but it sounds like I should maybe check elsewhere and see if I have any luck.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Bloody Queef posted:

Jesus Christ stop spreading this poo poo. It's wildly incorrect. He was building credit by length of account being open. Utilization has no history component to it. It resets every time it's reported.

Sorry, my wording was poor. I am a proponent of paying your card off every statement, thus I meant high utilization = better score, but even that is untrue it seems.

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Put blue and red chicken in mouth plz
If you pay the statement balance (which is different than the full balance) by the due date, you will incur no interest charges and that statement balance will be reported to the bureaus. According to Credit Karma their A rating for utilization is between 1-20%. But usually my real TransUnion FICO is higher than the "fake" one CK gives me, which pulls from TransUnion. And my statement balances are always reported, but I keep them under 20% total.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Not a Children posted:

Discover is a great card, but don't use the rewards directly for Amazon, since it's a 1:1 credit -- rather, apply the credit to your statement balance and use your card to make your purchases from Amazon, so you get the rewards on that, too!

I did not realize I could apply it directly to my statement. Awesome, thanks.

Swingline
Jul 20, 2008

morcant posted:

Hm... That $250 cap on gas/groceries is actually probably more than generous for my usual expenditures. Does the 5% for Amazon apply even if you're buying, say, kitchen-type goods? I did see that card in the OP, but for some reason filed it in my brain as related to books only.

It applies to anything you buy on amazon except digital orders (I.E. ebooks/movies/music).

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Raymn posted:

Either walk into a USAA branch or call up their customer service line and ask why you've been denied or if there's anything you can do. If that doesn't work you can try either converting your Capital One card to a normal credit card or I think Discover has a no fee secured card.

PittPanther
Sep 6, 2006
What is the best airline to transfer Amex membership reward points to? Living in NYC, Delta has hubs at LGA and JFK, so I have been using them the most, but their rewards aren't great.

turbomoose
Nov 29, 2008
Playing the banjo can be a relaxing activity and create lifelong friendships!
\
:backtowork:
I have a American Express Blue Cash Preferred, can I call them to change which one it is, preferably without a yearly fee? I've been current with all my payments, I just wanted to change and use the Citi double cash back card as my every day one and therefore don't want to pay the fee on the amex.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

turbomoose posted:

I have a American Express Blue Cash Preferred, can I call them to change which one it is, preferably without a yearly fee? I've been current with all my payments, I just wanted to change and use the Citi double cash back card as my every day one and therefore don't want to pay the fee on the amex.

You should be able to do this no problem, though you may pay part of the monthly fee depending on how into the year you are on the Blue Cash Preferred.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

asur posted:

Either walk into a USAA branch or call up their customer service line and ask why you've been denied or if there's anything you can do. If that doesn't work you can try either converting your Capital One card to a normal credit card or I think Discover has a no fee secured card.

I don't think USAA has any branches other than a couple maybe in Texas. I was going to call them up though since I didn't realize you could ask for a reconsideration. I called Capitol One earlier this year asking if I could convert it and was told I could not.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Raymn posted:

I don't think USAA has any branches other than a couple maybe in Texas. I was going to call them up though since I didn't realize you could ask for a reconsideration. I called Capitol One earlier this year asking if I could convert it and was told I could not.

According to the USAA Locator they have branches all over the place where you can talk to representatives. Calling them, at least as a first option, is probably better or at least quicker. Also did you ask Capital One why they wouldn't let you convert or try to apply for a normal card?

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

PittPanther posted:

What is the best airline to transfer Amex membership reward points to? Living in NYC, Delta has hubs at LGA and JFK, so I have been using them the most, but their rewards aren't great.

Delta is pretty much the worst one. The 'pro' thing to do is to transfer them to British Airways when there's a transfer bonus in effect, then use those Avios to book trips on American. If you mostly take short-hauls (to the midwest or shorter), you'll come out way ahead this way, since Avios redemptions start at 7500 miles each way (yep, you read that right) and you book on regular American flights.

hbf
Jul 26, 2003
No Dice.
I'm trying to build credit after having basically avoided credit my entire life. I currently have 1 card, a basic wells fargo visa cash back card (~$3k limit), which I have had for 10 months. I've always paid it in full every month. I have no other credit lines or anything on my credit report, positive or negative, except for a hard pull a few months ago for a loan that I ended up not going through with.

I want to get a 2nd card with hopefully better rewards, but primarily to continue to build my credit. I was planning on an "appathon" approach where I apply for several decent cards at the same time and pick the best as I am guessing I won't be accepted at some. Is this a good idea?

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

hbf posted:

I'm trying to build credit after having basically avoided credit my entire life. I currently have 1 card, a basic wells fargo visa cash back card (~$3k limit), which I have had for 10 months. I've always paid it in full every month. I have no other credit lines or anything on my credit report, positive or negative, except for a hard pull a few months ago for a loan that I ended up not going through with.

I want to get a 2nd card with hopefully better rewards, but primarily to continue to build my credit. I was planning on an "appathon" approach where I apply for several decent cards at the same time and pick the best as I am guessing I won't be accepted at some. Is this a good idea?

I don't think you need to worry too much about this. The appathon you describe is really only necessary if you are constantly opening new credit card lines. A lot of information on credit cards in various blogs is designed to appeal to those people who may have 15-30 hard credit pulls on their credit report at a time.

The credit report and credit score system expects you to apply for a few credit cards or loan offers while you are shopping around so a few won't affect you too much. Figure out 5 or so credit cards you think you want to apply for, then stop when you have what you need. I would see if you can find the cards reconsideration lines to call and see if they will accept you if your online application is automatically turned down.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008
Also, appathons don't even work. The inqs show up immediately now.

hbf: you should know your credit score before you apply, and go for the best card you are likely to get. With only one other card, it is possible/likely that you'd only get approved for one more and if you burn that approval on a stinker, you're bummed for a while longer then.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Anybody else on their third or fourth card this year? I'm guessing it's related to Home Depot or other breaches but my main card has been flagged for fraud on attempted purchases and reisueed four times so far this year. Just happened again at four in the morning when someone tried to charge a few bucks at a gas station in Florida. Sure seems like it's happening more and more often.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I was approved for a Citi Double Cash card with a limit of $7k. Called them up when I received it and asked for a $20k limit, they approved over the phone.

Seemed like my credit score was always based on my utilization of my old Discover on the day they checked it (which could have been relatively high) even though I payed it in full every month. Glad I don't have to worry about that anymore.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I just had to have two cards replaced due to credit card fraud.

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Mighty, mighty eagle soaring free
Defender of our homes and liberty
Bravery, humility, and honesty...
Mighty, mighty eagle, rescue me!
Dinosaur Gum
I'm the CISO for a financial services firm and so I know a little about how cyber security insurance works. It was obvious to me that when I was recently contacted to have my card replaced, that it was neither Wells Fargo nor American Express who were contacting me. They couldn't answer any of my questions so I panicked and called Wells Fargo. They wouldn't verify to me whether the card was being replaced due to a data breach but they did verify that it was a large scale event and that it was being handled by a third party call center. Could have been either Home Depot or Target and I'm guessing these were processed under a cyber security insurance claim and that the insurance company was handling the call load.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

The latest card I had to have replaced post dates HD and Target so I'm guessing there was another big event we may or may not ever hear about. Or I'm just unlucky.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Maybe I'm just lucky or something but in the ~10 years I've been using credit cards I've never had a fraud issue. I have several of them and I've been using them to funnel nearly all of my spending through for most of those 10 years.

Of course now I've just hexed myself and I'm going to have like 4 of them get fraudulent charges this week.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
I'm really annoyed at my credit score. It's inexplicably going down and it's hit the lowest it's been since I was 19 (720). I've pulled two of my credit reports and nothing's awry. The only bad thing on my credit report is one late payment 4 years ago. Other than that, I have 11 accounts that are always paid in full every month. I just don't get it. But it's annoying as poo poo because I've gotten declined from so many rewards credit cards, and the only credit card offers are balance transfers or low APR. And I've never carried a balance even, so what the gently caress man.

Eugh.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

There's not a lot you can do to protect yourself from having your card compromised, so it's important to always monitor your credit cards, even the ones you aren't using that are still active. When the US switches to chip and sig it should help pretty dramatically but you will still need to worry about people stealing your credit card number and using it online.

Rurutia posted:

I'm really annoyed at my credit score. It's inexplicably going down and it's hit the lowest it's been since I was 19 (720). I've pulled two of my credit reports and nothing's awry. The only bad thing on my credit report is one late payment 4 years ago. Other than that, I have 11 accounts that are always paid in full every month. I just don't get it. But it's annoying as poo poo because I've gotten declined from so many rewards credit cards, and the only credit card offers are balance transfers or low APR. And I've never carried a balance even, so what the gently caress man.

Eugh.
This is pretty strange. Are you using a large percentage of your credit limit on any of your cards? And how often are you applying for new cards? Each time you apply for a card it has a small effect on your credit score but it should pretty quickly recover.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

THF13 posted:

There's not a lot you can do to protect yourself from having your card compromised, so it's important to always monitor your credit cards, even the ones you aren't using that are still active. When the US switches to chip and sig it should help pretty dramatically but you will still need to worry about people stealing your credit card number and using it online.

This is pretty strange. Are you using a large percentage of your credit limit on any of your cards? And how often are you applying for new cards? Each time you apply for a card it has a small effect on your credit score but it should pretty quickly recover.

I generally apply in batches, my last batch was 6 months ago (only the Sallie Mae). I decided to apply for a new batch because of the US Airways Premier Card offer. I actually don't pay much attention to my utilization, because it's managed by the budget, my utilization is mid-high (30% ish) because my available credit is low cause of my individual income.

Usually, if I call the reconsideration line they look at my actual credit report vs the score and ask me a few questions and I get approved. (Just did that now.) But I'd gotten used to instant approvals. Heh.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Cross-posting from newbie finance thread because I realize this may be a better fit:

I recently signed up for the Sallie Mae Barclaycard and did a balance transfer from my old account because I'm pretty sure it said there was an intro 0% APR offer. I can't find any information about that now, and when I check my account settings it lists my overall standard purchase APR at 13.99% with a footnote that it may not reflect any intro or promotional offers. Anybody know how I can get a concrete answer to this?

I usually pay the balance off in full every month, but this last weekend I was in a car accident and if I have the leeway then I'd rather keep some cash fluid and spread out my payments to take advantage of the 0% offer that may or may not exist.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Teeter posted:

Cross-posting from newbie finance thread because I realize this may be a better fit:

I recently signed up for the Sallie Mae Barclaycard and did a balance transfer from my old account because I'm pretty sure it said there was an intro 0% APR offer. I can't find any information about that now, and when I check my account settings it lists my overall standard purchase APR at 13.99% with a footnote that it may not reflect any intro or promotional offers. Anybody know how I can get a concrete answer to this?

I usually pay the balance off in full every month, but this last weekend I was in a car accident and if I have the leeway then I'd rather keep some cash fluid and spread out my payments to take advantage of the 0% offer that may or may not exist.

Call the number on the back of your credit card. You'll be able to speak with a real person who can answer who can help you answer any questions about your account.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Thanks, I'll give it another shot. I tried calling a number I found on the website but didn't have any luck navigating the menus toward a real person.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Teeter posted:

Thanks, I'll give it another shot. I tried calling a number I found on the website but didn't have any luck navigating the menus toward a real person.

Just updating this since customer service got back to me: There's nothing on the website, but there's a section on my full statement that itemizes the various types of balance on my account and the APR for each. Below that is a separate section that lists how much must be paid in order to cover the minimum required for not paying any interest.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

Rurutia posted:

Eugh.

There's a few magic numbers that are % thresholds of available credit that if you cross they trigger a drop in FICO. Ten years ago they used to be like 33% and 66% and if you crossed that as a balance of total line of credit it's considered a red flag, but in FICO's ever changing clandestine secret algorithm should be illegal horseshit these thresholds keep getting fiddled with, I've heard about it happening as low as 15% for whatever stupid reason. So ideally just avoid ever utilizing more than 10% of your available credit line at any point, even if you pay it off the day after. So try to get that massive line of credit on any individual card and pay if off once a week if you have to to avoid utilizing much of it.

It's either that or people are running credit checks on you that you don't know about, either for some sort of background check or just fraudulent applications.

Having 11 accounts is too many, you want two or three tops with as high a limit as you can possibly find but closing accounts triggers a drop too so just go back in time and don't open so many.

Pryor on Fire fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Dec 10, 2014

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Pryor on Fire posted:

There's a few magic numbers that are % thresholds of available credit that if you cross they trigger a drop in FICO. Ten years ago they used to be like 33% and 66% and if you crossed that as a balance of total line of credit it's considered a red flag, but in FICO's ever changing clandestine secret algorithm should be illegal horseshit these thresholds keep getting fiddled with, I've heard about it happening as low as 15% for whatever stupid reason. So ideally just avoid ever utilizing more than 10% of your available credit line at any point, even if you pay it off the day after. So try to get that massive line of credit on any individual card and pay if off once a week if you have to to avoid utilizing much of it.

It's either that or people are running credit checks on you that you don't know about, either for some sort of background check or just fraudulent applications.

Having 11 accounts is too many, you want two or three tops with as high a limit as you can possibly find but closing accounts triggers a drop too so just go back in time and don't open so many.

Thanks for the advice on utilization. It's a byproduct of the fact that Sallie Mae is on my account, and we buy a lot of things through Amazon, but my husband makes the vast majority of our household income.

Why's having 11 accounts too many? I've never gotten dinged for the # of accounts. I churn credit cards (and some of them are shared CC's with my husband).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
Are either of the Virgin America cards worth it? Me and the fiancee have started traveling a lot for work and we book our own travel, we fly virgin 90%+ of the time. The points seem to make sense, but our preferred card is the Amex Blue Cash Preferred, but it came up that we can totally rack up some Virgin points. Since we'd use it for travel, it would get paid off every month for sure, and we travel somewhere at least once a month.