Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Mobius posted:

I have an old Capital One No Hassle Rewards (1% cash back) card that I got for an overseas trip a few years ago because I wanted a card with no foreign exchange fees. Now, I only have one automatic monthly bill charging to it, just to keep it active. Today, I got home and discovered a Quicksilver card in my mailbox, which I didn't request. It has the same number as my No Hassle card. I was confused, so I called customer service and apparently I was automatically upgraded. She assured me there were no fees or anything, but I'm basically skeptical of any financial institution just volunteering to give me more money.

Is there a catch? Or should I go ahead and activate the new card?

There may be a change in terms or interest rate, but for the factors that people care about on a rewards card the Quicksilver is better, 1.5% cash back no FtF and no annual fee. It's possible that they just phased out your old card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
BFC goons tend to hate me for this but I always finance big important things on 0% APR cards and just pay off the balance in the long run before (usually a month or so just to be safe) the introductory rate expires. I've never once paid any interest and my credit score has never been negatively impacted by this. I always could just pay the cards down at any time but I'd rather just invest the money I have now and simply pay the card down every month. Even if the worst was to happen and my wife/I lost our jobs, didn't get unemployment, for some reason couldn't access our savings/investments my lifestyle is so cheap I could pay down the cards with min wage if I had to.

So far I've financed my wedding/honeymoon expenses ($11,000) on a 12 month 0% card back in 2011. A couple hospital bills on a 12 month interest free program (in 2011 and 2013) and my home improvement expenses on a 18 month 0% card in 2014.

Obviously terrible advice for goons that are paying down debt or have a history of making terrible financial decisions but if you have your poo poo together I don't see the problem.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Nov 14, 2014

Baddog
May 12, 2001

ETB posted:

Interesting post made by the "Finance Buff." If you have $100k in assets and willing to sell your soul to Bank of America and Merill Edge, you get an effective 2.65% on purchases after three months of establishing a checking and brokerage account with them. This includes free trading, no ATM fees, and all the benefits of the BankAmericard Travel Rewards. It seems crazy good, but you have to be loaded to take advantage.

God this is so loving tempting, but I'm afraid I might be too lazy to shift around assets and accounts. Fidelity Amex at 2% treats me pretty well, plus Blue Cash Preferred for 6k of groceries and amazon/random gift cards at 6% every year.

Baddog fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Nov 14, 2014

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
How do I tell if a straight up cash back vs airline points is the better card for me?

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Massasoit posted:

I've had a Discover-It card for a bit over a year now, and it has worked out really well for me. As a student my starting limit was $500 but at the 1 year mark they bumped it up to $1000 automatically (bill paid in full monthly). I also referred someone to discover and got $50 bonus cash-back. With the cashback program I've been able to buy some textbooks directly from Amazon (you can set up the card to pull cashback rewards directly through Amazon). I've been very happy with the card as a first credit card, and getting free money out of the cash-back program for purchases I was going to make anyway is awesome (and I started to build credit, which before having the card I had no credit).

Discover is a great card, but don't use the rewards directly for Amazon, since it's a 1:1 credit -- rather, apply the credit to your statement balance and use your card to make your purchases from Amazon, so you get the rewards on that, too!

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Put blue and red chicken in mouth plz
Or use the credit to get gift cards. In many cases you can exchange $20 in Discover cash back for a $25 gift card.

But I'm guilty of using the credit on Amazon since it's so easy. But this quarter Amazon is one of the 5% bonus categories I think.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
I just opened the Southwest Rapid Rewards card for the 50k bonus. Aside from being a cattle car airline, their frequent flier program is probably the friendliest in the business for the average flier just trying to book a domestic award flight. Based on the routes I fly, it's actually worth a little more than Chase Sapphire Preferred's 40K miles (even with the $99 fee vs waived fee for Sapphire). Southwest also has a 2k spend over 3 months where Sapphire asks for 3k.

Boris Galerkin posted:

How do I tell if a straight up cash back vs airline points is the better card for me?

A cash back card is almost always going to be better unless you're also flying and supplementing your cc spend with flight miles/booking your own flights. Cash is king. The only reason I personally do hotel/flight credit cards is because I open them, spend to the minimum to get the bonus, open another card, and close the cards at the 11 month mark. Some cards have even paid me straight cash to keep the account open when I go to retentions.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Blinkman987 posted:

I just opened the Southwest Rapid Rewards card for the 50k bonus. Aside from being a cattle car airline, their frequent flier program is probably the friendliest in the business for the average flier just trying to book a domestic award flight.

I actually love flying Southwest. Big planes, free drinks (plus tons of free drink coupons if you fly a lot), free snacks, free TV, free bags. I took 25 legs this year. Unfortunately I will be switching to United for most of my work flights...boo (southwest stopped direct flights from Denver to Amarillo). Southwest likes to be delayed at times though.

Like you said though the rewards miles are top notch. They have sales all the times, you can get round trip flights to real places for under 10K all the time, no one else comes close to this.

I am thinking I will open the card next year to get the points and go from there since I have 35K rewards right now and A-list for next year

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
How big of a hit is it to my credit score if I cancel a credit card after 1 year? I had the Chase Sapphire Preferred and realized I don't travel as much as I thought I do, and while I did enjoy the big signup bonus I don't want to pay the annual fee next year. It also makes up 50% of my available credit.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Pron on VHS posted:

How big of a hit is it to my credit score if I cancel a credit card after 1 year? I had the Chase Sapphire Preferred and realized I don't travel as much as I thought I do, and while I did enjoy the big signup bonus I don't want to pay the annual fee next year. It also makes up 50% of my available credit.

Not much. You shouldn't worry about it unless you're planning to take out a large loan in the near future, and need to game your credit score. If you don't plan on taking out a mortgage, auto loan, or something along those lines soon, then just pay off your balance in full every month, don't go batshit insane opening and closing every credit card offer that comes in your junk mail, and your credit score will take care of itself.

If you are concerned, though, you can always call up Chase and let them know that you like the card, but the annual fee is forcing you to cancel. Chances are pretty good that they'll be able to switch you to the non-preferred version, or even waive the annual fee for another year (which means you'll need to do the same dance again in twelve months, but hey, it's a few minutes on the phone and you get better rewards for a whole year).

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Blinkman987 posted:

I just opened the Southwest Rapid Rewards card for the 50k bonus. Aside from being a cattle car airline, their frequent flier program is probably the friendliest in the business for the average flier just trying to book a domestic award flight. Based on the routes I fly, it's actually worth a little more than Chase Sapphire Preferred's 40K miles (even with the $99 fee vs waived fee for Sapphire). Southwest also has a 2k spend over 3 months where Sapphire asks for 3k.

A cash back card is almost always going to be better unless you're also flying and supplementing your cc spend with flight miles/booking your own flights. Cash is king. The only reason I personally do hotel/flight credit cards is because I open them, spend to the minimum to get the bonus, open another card, and close the cards at the 11 month mark. Some cards have even paid me straight cash to keep the account open when I go to retentions.

Is there a good Delta card opening bonus going on right now? Colleague just got a 50k miles 1000$ minimum amex card but I can't find that one anymore. Delta is the major/only airline at the airport here.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Boris Galerkin posted:

Is there a good Delta card opening bonus going on right now? Colleague just got a 50k miles 1000$ minimum amex card but I can't find that one anymore. Delta is the major/only airline at the airport here.

I just got one in the mail offering 50k, not sure the terms. I will check when I get home tonight.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

E: double post

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Boris Galerkin posted:

Delta/AmEx neutered that card last year by getting rid of the companion ticket, so it probably isn't something you'll want to keep long term unless you fly enough for the free checked bag to matter but not enough to get a free checked bag from having airline status.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

In some cases you want the card closed because you can qualify for new account bonuses if you aren't a current customer and you haven't received the bonus in the last 24 months.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

THF13 posted:

Frequently asked questions

I have bad or no credit.
Try a student card if you're a student, a secured card if you're not. Check the nerdwallet recommendations link at the top of the thread.

Should I keep a balance to build up credit?
NEVER. Pay the full statement balance every month before the due date. If you are unable to pay the full statement balance you shouldn’t be using the cards recommended in this thread as they typically have very high APRs.

I just got my first credit card from my bank today. I have a 0% APR for 6 months. A friend of mine told me that he built credit by paying 90% of his monthly balance and letting a bit of it carry over, then right before his 0% intro offer expired, he paid the entire thing off.

Should I try doing that for 6 months?

I have no debt and of course, no credit score at the moment, and I can pay off within my credit limit as well.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Revitalized posted:

I just got my first credit card from my bank today. I have a 0% APR for 6 months. A friend of mine told me that he built credit by paying 90% of his monthly balance and letting a bit of it carry over, then right before his 0% intro offer expired, he paid the entire thing off.

Should I try doing that for 6 months?

I have no debt and of course, no credit score at the moment, and I can pay off within my credit limit as well.

No. You're not the exception, because there are no exceptions.

Yes, the credit card company would like you to carry a balance, so they can squeeze as much money as possible from you. But, "balance carried" isn't tracked on your credit report, and it's not used to calculate credit scores. All the credit agencies see about your credit card balance is the bottom-line number on the statement. It doesn't matter if you paid the whole thing off thirty seconds after the last statement went out and then racked up that amount in new charges this cycle, or only made the minimum payment last time and carried every cent you could.

Never carry a balance, and never take a cash advance. Not even once.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Yeah they're looking at utilization, not if there's a month to month balance. A ton of people in America don't actually understand how their credit score is calculated. Paying the full statement balance instead of everything you owe is going to leave money on there anyway because purchases this month come due next month.

Even that can get you in trouble if you're not careful though. Don't put something on a card unless you already have money waiting to pay for it, and you are confident you can then not touch that money until you send it to the credit card company.

Your credit score is not the score in a game, nor does it matter unless you're looking for a loan or another credit card. Just use your credit responsibly and that score will go up by itself and don't worry about it.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

THF13 posted:

Would you need to get an Australian credit card or an American one?

A very popular signup bonus right now is the Southwest airlines cards. They are currently offering 50,000 points after opening a new card and spending $2,000. The reason it is so popular is that they have multiple versions of the card so you can get the bonus multiple times, and they offer a companion pass which allows you to bring an extra person along for free every time you fly for up to 2 years. Only the premiere version of the card has no foreign transaction fee though, and you will want to wait until at least January 1st to earn the pass so it will last until December 2016. You earn the pass by earning 110,000 points in a calendar year.

More traditionally both the Chase Sapphire Preferred and the BarclayCard Arrival+ have no foreign transaction fee and good sign up bonuses.

The flyertalk forums might be a better place to find sign up bonus offers like this though. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs-599/

I'm mostly talking about American ones (when I found I'm basically starting over from scratch in Australia my immediate thought was I should get an Aussie card and start paying for stuff with that to build credit, but OTOH I have a feeling any rewards, etc are likely inferior to what I could be racking up on my American one...). Thanks for the heads-up on Southwest, but it doesn't look like they partner with anyone else, and I have basically no use for a domestic US airline once I move. Will look into the other two though!

Brian Fellows
May 29, 2003
I'm Brian Fellows

Blinkman987 posted:

That's bad general advice. If you're using points and miles you're not usually paying 1 mile: 1 cent rate. Airline mile pricing is based on region to region, hotel points are based on hotel category. A $1500 round trip economy flight to Europe may be had with 60,000 airline miles and minor taxes in cash. So your opportunity cost is $600 in cash back (or I guess $1200 if you've got a .02/dollar spent card, which you should), but you're saving a ton more money than if you just collected cash back.

Obviously it doesn't work out like that every time, but every time I've booked flights with miles I've made out better than if I'd collected cash back to pay for it. What I typically do is get all my miles/points balances topped off to the point where I could fly/stay wherever with what I've got, THEN everything is cash back after that point.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

Space Gopher posted:

No. You're not the exception, because there are no exceptions.

Yes, the credit card company would like you to carry a balance, so they can squeeze as much money as possible from you. But, "balance carried" isn't tracked on your credit report, and it's not used to calculate credit scores. All the credit agencies see about your credit card balance is the bottom-line number on the statement. It doesn't matter if you paid the whole thing off thirty seconds after the last statement went out and then racked up that amount in new charges this cycle, or only made the minimum payment last time and carried every cent you could.

Never carry a balance, and never take a cash advance. Not even once.

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Yeah they're looking at utilization, not if there's a month to month balance. A ton of people in America don't actually understand how their credit score is calculated. Paying the full statement balance instead of everything you owe is going to leave money on there anyway because purchases this month come due next month.

Even that can get you in trouble if you're not careful though. Don't put something on a card unless you already have money waiting to pay for it, and you are confident you can then not touch that money until you send it to the credit card company.

Your credit score is not the score in a game, nor does it matter unless you're looking for a loan or another credit card. Just use your credit responsibly and that score will go up by itself and don't worry about it.

I see, thanks guys.

One more question: does spending 30% or 70% of your credit limit have any difference at all?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Lower utilization tends to be better for your credit score.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Brian Fellows posted:

That's bad general advice. If you're using points and miles you're not usually paying 1 mile: 1 cent rate. Airline mile pricing is based on region to region, hotel points are based on hotel category. A $1500 round trip economy flight to Europe may be had with 60,000 airline miles and minor taxes in cash. So your opportunity cost is $600 in cash back (or I guess $1200 if you've got a .02/dollar spent card, which you should), but you're saving a ton more money than if you just collected cash back.

Obviously it doesn't work out like that every time, but every time I've booked flights with miles I've made out better than if I'd collected cash back to pay for it. What I typically do is get all my miles/points balances topped off to the point where I could fly/stay wherever with what I've got, THEN everything is cash back after that point.

I agree, that's why I pointed out at the end that I only do hotel and airline cards for the bonus where a person is getting 50K+ miles or equivalent on sign up and min spend. With no bonus, it should be cash back card spend.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
Am I overlooking something, or is this as good as I think it is? Combining the Chase Freedom and Chase Sapphire Preferred bonuses, and then transferring them to the Southwest card (after meeting the spends) results in 100k points, a mere 10k short of a promotion Southwest is running where you get a free companion ticket for every one you purchase. What are the better airlines cards factoring in other cards where you can transfer points?

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Put blue and red chicken in mouth plz
It appears that Southwest will let your spend and sign up bonus points apply toward the Companion Pass. If you can get those points early next year, you'll get companion pass for the remainder of 2015 and all of 2016.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

TastyLemonDrops posted:

Am I overlooking something, or is this as good as I think it is? Combining the Chase Freedom and Chase Sapphire Preferred bonuses, and then transferring them to the Southwest card (after meeting the spends) results in 100k points, a mere 10k short of a promotion Southwest is running where you get a free companion ticket for every one you purchase. What are the better airlines cards factoring in other cards where you can transfer points?

you might want to double check this. A quick look seems to indicate that sign up bonuses from SW cards count, but transfer from Chase Ultimate do not. You can apparently bypass this by transferring to Hyatt first, but it's a 2 - 1 transfer from Hyatt to SW. The easiest way I've heard is to apply for two of the SW cards with 50k offers.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Just got approved for the BarclayCard Arrival+. :D

It's my second card ever (I have a Wells Fargo Visa Platinum through banking with them for years).

I have the option to pay my rent via card - this is a good way to spend $3000 in 3 months to earn the 40k bonus points, correct? Am I wrong in thinking I can pay my rent with this every month to earn sweet sweet points toward travel?

khysanth fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Nov 17, 2014

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

khysanth posted:

I have the option to pay my rent via card - this is a good way to spend $3000 in 3 months to earn the 40k bonus points, correct? Am I wrong in thinking I can pay my rent with this every month to earn sweet sweet points toward travel?

Make sure your landlord isn't charging you a credit card fee to do so. Fees can be up to 3-5% typically. It's rare for a management company to accept credit cards for no additional charge.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
If you use Paypal to pay for a lot of stuff, you can charge your new card through it. No FTF, either! Just don't send friends/family cash with the card, of course.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Interesting little possible bug in the shop discover page. Looks like they give 10% cashback of total prior to any coupon codes.

They have 10% off of Kohl's orders until mid January right now. I placed an order for some stuff last night that totaled $60. After I added a few codes, it brought my total down to about $36 but Discover credited me $6 cash back. Not sure if that is how it's supposed to work or not. I'm guessing it's a bug.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Guinness posted:

Make sure your landlord isn't charging you a credit card fee to do so. Fees can be up to 3-5% typically. It's rare for a management company to accept credit cards for no additional charge.

There is a flat $35 fee for paying with a card, so here are my thoughts:

Rent is $1600, and assuming I spend all Arrival+ bonus points on travel, 2.2% of $1600 is ~$35.

I think it's worth it to pay rent for the first three months on the card in order to get the 40,000 sign-up point bonus.

After that it is mostly a wash, right? The points I get for paying rent are basically exactly canceled out by the $35 fee. Would it still make sense to pay with the card after the sign-up bonus? In a way it's sort of like I'm just putting money aside each month for future travel I think.

Let me know what you smarter goons think.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
The ultimate question for you is do you prefer your $35 in points in cash (liquid, growable) or points (rigid). Also, if you have a decent interest-bearing checking/savings account, it technically will outperform credit card rewards. After hitting that sign-up bonus, I would just convert back to ACH or whatever for your rent.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
I got the Barclay Arrival+ card but have to wait a few months for the reward points. A close friend of my wife's just invited us to a wedding in Florida (we live in NY). The wedding is in January so we're looking to open cards that will yield the most flight points immediately, or maybe after a month.

I found the US Airways Dividend Premier. That'll yield us about $400 each in points towards tickets if we both open our own accounts, right? Is there any flaw in that plan? We might take another couple with us, so would it be possible to take advantage of the "buddy" ticket ($99 ticket per buddy, up to 2) and use points to pay for the flight, or is it likely they won't let me double dip?

Or is there a better card/option all together?

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

khysanth posted:

There is a flat $35 fee for paying with a card, so here are my thoughts:

Rent is $1600, and assuming I spend all Arrival+ bonus points on travel, 2.2% of $1600 is ~$35.

I think it's worth it to pay rent for the first three months on the card in order to get the 40,000 sign-up point bonus.

After that it is mostly a wash, right? The points I get for paying rent are basically exactly canceled out by the $35 fee. Would it still make sense to pay with the card after the sign-up bonus? In a way it's sort of like I'm just putting money aside each month for future travel I think.

Let me know what you smarter goons think.

Between groceries, cell phone, utilities, gas, and odds-and-ends, you can't make the $3,000 spend without rent? If you can avoid those fees, that's $70 in your pocket.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

ETB posted:

Also, if you have a decent interest-bearing checking/savings account, it technically will outperform credit card rewards. After hitting that sign-up bonus, I would just convert back to ACH or whatever for your rent.

:what:

Even the highest interest-bearing savings account yields are 1% or barely above. The FIA Amex gives you 2% on everything. How do you figure a savings account outperforms rewards?

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Bisty Q. posted:

Even the highest interest-bearing savings account yields are 1% or barely above. The FIA Amex gives you 2% on everything. How do you figure a savings account outperforms rewards?

You're forgetting about the flat fee which negates the rewards...

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Bisty Q. posted:

The points don't generate interest. This isn't relavent if you can convert them to cash, but the person who originally asked is using a card where you get 2.2% when the points are spent on travel so not only are the points limited in use, but they may fit in the account till you have a travel expense.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

ETB posted:

You're forgetting about the flat fee which negates the rewards...

Yeah, I misread that you were talking about after the signup bonus. It's a no brainer to pay $105 to get $400, which is why I was confused.

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.
Has anyone had a good experience with the Amazon Rewards Visa? I looked at the Discover It card, but am not sure how often the categories would apply to me - I don't buy gas that often, and plan on regularly picking up housewares, books, etc. from Amazon. Unless we've got a vacation or something lined up, I rarely charge more than a couple hundred a month, and always pay off my balance. The only rewards card I have experience with is the PNC CashBuilder, which just gives a flat 1.25% back, and can only be redeemed at $50 or more. I'm thinking it's time to find something a little more useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dengraz
Sep 8, 2003
[empty]

morcant posted:

Has anyone had a good experience with the Amazon Rewards Visa? I looked at the Discover It card, but am not sure how often the categories would apply to me - I don't buy gas that often, and plan on regularly picking up housewares, books, etc. from Amazon. Unless we've got a vacation or something lined up, I rarely charge more than a couple hundred a month, and always pay off my balance. The only rewards card I have experience with is the PNC CashBuilder, which just gives a flat 1.25% back, and can only be redeemed at $50 or more. I'm thinking it's time to find something a little more useful.

I've been enjoying using my Sallie Mae Rewards card for Amazon (5% on gas/groceries/bookstores). It has relatively low monthly caps on the cashback per month ($250 for gas/groceries and $750 for bookstores). Also really easy to redeem rewards ($25 increments).