Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Interesting blog post by a guy who works at stripe about credit card rewards: https://www.bitsaboutmoney.com/archive/anatomy-of-credit-card-rewards-programs/

quote:

This is as simple as it gets and we’re already necessarily handwaving away libraries worth of complexity. (For example, calculation of net purchases needs to be fairly robust against adversarial collaboration of users and merchants or the issuer gets turned into a money pump within a matter of days and will not likely be able to detect or reverse this condition for at least several weeks. This has happened many, many times. Credit card issuers, when they screw this up, lose millions of dollars and dry their tears on money.)

Anyhow, in the mists of history, that percentage started flat; typically, 1%. The math supporting this is typically fairly simple: take in 140bps as revenue, pay the user 100 bps as effectively a cost of customer acquisition, keep some portion of 40 bps as one’s margin.

In nations other than ones with effective cartel-like behavior by issuers, this equilibrium was not stable, because competing issuers would bid e.g. 1.25% cash back on the same underlying economics and compete for share of wallet. This happened extremely robustly, for decades.

One iteration of this game was cash back “categories”. Particularly post-Internet, certain cohorts of customers were most interested in the headline cashback percentage rate. Issuers began to design products which were more complicated, such as “1% cash back in principle, however, 1.5% cash back at gas stations.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Venmo offered me $200 on $1000 spend in 6 months. It has 3% back on your top category and 2% on the rest of these categories: Dining & Nightlife, Grocery, Travel, Bills & Utilities, Health & Beauty, Gas, Transportation, and Entertainment.

I'm trying to look for a house/condo come late June/July.. is there a way to estimate how much of a hit this will give to my credit score / loan amount?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Whatever hit it might be, you're going to spend more over the life of that condo loan due to higher rate you'll be paying than the $200 you'd get from that deal. Wait to apply for that credit card until after. If the deal runs out then oh well.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.
Generally, credit pulls are pretty low on the “hit” scale.

For example - I had 3 hard checks in march. My score dipped from 780+ to 769 at the beginning of April. It is now back up to 785+.

Granting that credit scores are stupidly opaque, generally, if you get a hard pull AND it results in a new line of credit, your score recovers quite quickly.

So, if it were me, I would not worry unless your score is in the border between two “rate categories. Like if the score is gonna dip below 700, maybe don’t. But if your score is higher, it’s not likely to meaningfully shift lending rates.

If you’re applying next week for a mortgage - don’t do it. But if it’s in 2 months, I wouldn’t think too hard about it.

Usual caveats apply: I’m not a loan officer, my info is anecdotal, and our risk models are not the same.

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!
Question for the folks who travel lots - what cards do you have and why?

I have an AMEX Plat and Gold that I've been using forever but I'm playing with the idea of getting a Delta SkyMiles card because my partner and I have tons of trips this year. I may drop the Plat for the Delta Reserve but I have had the Plat for forever and do enjoy the benefits a lot.

We prefer to travel Delta and it would be nice to have some sort of flying status, double dipping on the AMEX points has been nice because we usually save them up to get our flights for super cheap when we do big trips, or to get a hefty discount on a luxury hotel.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
New credit cards can impact your score a few different ways.
Applying causes a hard pull, which is a very minor mark against your score and generally you don't need to worry about these unless you're churning bonuses and have like 8+.

The biggest impact is to your average age of accounts. If you only have 1 card, adding a 2nd will drop your average age in half. The more cards you have though, the less effect this has. Someone with 9 cards adding a 10th is only reducing their average by 10%.

On a positive side, adding a new card will increase your available credit and therefore lower your utilization (assuming same level of spending), which can boost your score.

Credit Karma has a credit score simulator, I think there are other similar tools available as well. I don't know how accurate they are.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Triggs posted:

Question for the folks who travel lots - what cards do you have and why?

We have an Amex platinum, chase sapphire preferred and Citi AA executive.

I fly a ton for work, so having a centurion or AA lounge available at allmost times is beneficial. My wife is an AU and so is my brother, so they each get lounge access when they fly. On a semi-annual basis, I do ask for retention bonuses on at least the Amex.

We collect points mainly for international travel. Last year, we flew to Japan and back in business class and stayed in Conrad hotels while there at little to no cost. Next year, I’ve booked business class flights to an African safari at about $250 cost in fees, although we have to pay for the safari lodging, they don’t take hotel/airline/credit card points.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

My American Express card ditched the Priority Pass perk, which is pretty much the last feature I was using. It's a Hilton Honors Amex, and I used to travel for a living.

Amex tried to talk me into applying for a platinum card, which is $695 a year!!!
That can't be worth it, right?

Plus, I can't upgrade, I have to keep the Hilton Amex separate, and apply anew for the Platinum card.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Squashy Nipples posted:

My American Express card ditched the Priority Pass perk, which is pretty much the last feature I was using. It's a Hilton Honors Amex, and I used to travel for a living.

Amex tried to talk me into applying for a platinum card, which is $695 a year!!!

Plus, I can't upgrade, I have to keep the Hilton Amex separate, and apply anew for the Platinum card.

Ehhh, I think it used to be better, now the credits are all for stuff I mostly don't use. Except for the 200 in airline fee credit, that ones easy. I think you can even get a giftcard and get credit.

But I can see some people might get value, if you already use some of this stuff

$200 credit for uber
$240 credit for disney+/hulu/espn/NYT/WSJ (meh)
$155 credit for a walmart+ sub (weird, is this the amazon prime equivalent?)
$189 for clear, if your airport has it - and denver it seems like the lines for clear are worse than precheck now
$200 hotel (if you book through amex, gently caress that tho)

Signing up for the miles is worth it though if you can get good value out of maybe one of these. To justify it on a recurring basis..... eh.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Squashy Nipples posted:

https://thepointsguy.com/credit-cards/american-express/maximizing-amex-platinum/

The card has a lot of perks. Up to you to decide if the perks outweigh the $700.

Personally I'd 100% make use of the $200 Uber credit and $240 streaming credit. If I traveled more the $100-$189 credit for Global Entry / TSA PreCheck / Clear and $200 in airline fee credit would be enough for me.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Baddog posted:

Signing up for the miles is worth it though if you can get good value out of maybe one of these. To justify it on a recurring basis..... eh.

A lot of things I use, but there is always small print.

Part of the problem with bonus miles is that I fly JetBlue pretty much exclusively, and have their card with a lot of miles on it.

Baddog posted:

Never used it for a hotel, but I used to use it quite a bit for cars and trains when I did business travel.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Baddog posted:

Ehhh, I think it used to be better, now the credits are all for stuff I mostly don't use. Except for the 200 in airline fee credit, that ones easy. I think you can even get a giftcard and get credit.

But I can see some people might get value, if you already use some of this stuff

$200 credit for uber
$240 credit for disney+/hulu/espn/NYT/WSJ (meh)
$155 credit for a walmart+ sub (weird, is this the amazon prime equivalent?)
$189 for clear, if your airport has it - and denver it seems like the lines for clear are worse than precheck now

We use all of these plus a lot of the centurion lounges for frequent (weekly) travel. The plat still retains the priority pass lounges, I believe.

The Walmart+ sub also gives you paramount+ streaming service free.

The $200 hotel credit booking through Amex is nice for the fine hotels and resorts program with all the benefits it provides (~$100 resort credit, free breakfasts for every day you stay, upgrades, early check in/late check out). For the past few years we’ve used it for 4+ night stays at Conrad hotels where they give you the 4th night free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valicious
Aug 16, 2010
How do co-signers affect the success% of an application? I make ~70k, only $3k debt, but a score in the low-mid 600s. The other individual has a score of 799, but is retired.
I wanted to apply for the Citi Custom Cash. Is the Citi Double Cash now just beaten by the Venmo card?