Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I have been considering changing cards lately but have been lazy so far. I use chase checking and have a chase freedom card. After this year they are removing the bonus points for having a checking account with them. I was averaging about 1.65% cash back accounting for the bonuses, categories, and 1% on everything.

The new citi double cash card looks pretty good. Here is some info about how we use our card:

Spend per year - $42-45K (average of the last 3 years)
Haven't done any international travel but would like to in 2 years after my wife's current contract is up.
Just want cash back with no hoops to get it (the chase card is nice, deposit right back into my account).
If I do add a card or change a card I would probably keep the chase and use it for 5% cash back when it makes sense.
Both our credit scores are hovering around 800.

What do you think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

spatula posted:

Good customer service too. The Chase Freedom customer service were assholes compared to Discover when my wallet got stolen and I was freaking out. But that guy could have just been having a really bad day.

FWIW my experience has been the complete opposite with the Target and Home Depot breaches and the 2 times I had unauthorized charges. Super responsive and never had any issues.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Blinkman987 posted:

I just opened the Southwest Rapid Rewards card for the 50k bonus. Aside from being a cattle car airline, their frequent flier program is probably the friendliest in the business for the average flier just trying to book a domestic award flight.

I actually love flying Southwest. Big planes, free drinks (plus tons of free drink coupons if you fly a lot), free snacks, free TV, free bags. I took 25 legs this year. Unfortunately I will be switching to United for most of my work flights...boo (southwest stopped direct flights from Denver to Amarillo). Southwest likes to be delayed at times though.

Like you said though the rewards miles are top notch. They have sales all the times, you can get round trip flights to real places for under 10K all the time, no one else comes close to this.

I am thinking I will open the card next year to get the points and go from there since I have 35K rewards right now and A-list for next year

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Boris Galerkin posted:

Is there a good Delta card opening bonus going on right now? Colleague just got a 50k miles 1000$ minimum amex card but I can't find that one anymore. Delta is the major/only airline at the airport here.

I just got one in the mail offering 50k, not sure the terms. I will check when I get home tonight.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

E: double post

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

squirreltactic posted:

Is there any trend to how often cards, specifically the Citi Double Cash, offer sign up bonuses?

Being a new card I would eager that you will not see a bonus for a while, although this could be completely wrong as I am just guessing.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

khysanth posted:

Quick question just to make sure I understand 100%.

I just got my credit card statement today from the bank, but the payment isn't due until Jan. 11, 2015.

Can I pay it today or is there any good reason to wait?

You can pay it today and not really any reason to wait. Assuming you already budgeted all that money you already spent. I pay my card about twice a month and then when I get the statement because I am weird.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

ilkhan posted:

Citi double cash is going to be about as good as it gets for a general usage card, right?
amazon / random-shopping / gas are my biggest categories. Don't carry a balance, not worried about miles, just cash back.

That plus a chase freedom card. Freedom card is 5% on groceries right now, 3rd quarter is 5% on gas, and 4th quarter is 5% on amazon. But general straight up no hassle the citi card is pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Southwest is offering 50,000 miles plus a $100 credit statement, which basically cancels out the $99 yearly fee. I fly southwest a bit (28 legs last year) but honestly wouldn't use the card once I hit the $2000 spend for the miles. I would then want to close the card before the yearly fee hits again but I would need to make sure I don't lose any miles. Seems like a pretty good deal since 50k miles is basically enough for 4-5 round trips if you wait for the sales.

I also want to get a citi double cash card though to replace the chase freedom I have.

What do you guys think on the southwest visa?