Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

I'm looking for a good airline/travel rewards card. I recently went on a US Air flight and they were pushing their US Air mastercard pretty hard. I really like the free first bag (I would take advantage of this) and the 50,000 upfront miles. I don't necessarily like the $89 annual fee, but that'd be essentially cancelled if I took 2 round trip flights with a bag per year, which I will probably do ($25/bag each way). Reviews I'm reading aren't very good for this card though.

I already have a Pentagon Federal credit union platinum signature visa with the chip/pin and no foreign transaction fees, so I'm really only interested in this other one for perks and airline mileage.

I have a Wells Fargo platinum visa that I never use ($0 balance) and the pen fed card that I use for grocery/gas purchases and pretty much everything else I buy (paid off in full every month, $0 balance). When I applied for a car loan, I got the lowest rate and they told me my credit score was excellent at 784. I feel confident I could get whichever card I want, it's just knowing which one is best.

Creditkarma.com is recommending the Chase Sapphire Preferred (I don't like the $95 annual fee) and the Barclaycard Arrival World master card. It mentions 20,000 miles after $1,000 in purchases within 90 days, but are these usable with any airline?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

dexter6 posted:

That's close, but...

AA has two cards. Standard and Business. Per this, looks like you can get each. Both have the annual fee waived up front, require you to spend $3k in your first 3 months to get the bonus.

The Barclays USAir card current offer is for 50k miles once you pay the $95 annual fee and make one purchase, per this.

So, if you got all three cards today (and I'd recommend at least getting the US Air card before it disappears), you could get 150k American miles in Q2.

Thanks for the tips, I got approved for the USAir card and I'll do the AA citi card in about a month or so. I had been wanting to do the USAir card for a while, so this tipped the scales. When the companies merge in Q2 will the miles combine 1:1? What are the average mileage costs for a domestic flight? USAir says about 40000 for a round trip, does this sound about right?

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

I see differing suggestions between closing cards to avoid fees and transferring balances between cards by the same bank (ie Chase). Wouldn't you have to cancel cards to take advantage of the bonuses offered after the 18mo or 2yr waiting period that cards seem to have?

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

For the purposes of meeting the spending limits to get rewards, do you have to make actual purchases, or can it be balance transfers as well? Same question for getting points, ie does a balance transfer of $1,000 equate to a purchase of $1,000 to earn points?

e: read the fine print at least on the chase sapphire preferred and no, balance transfer =/= purchase

Cacafuego fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Feb 7, 2015

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

^^^^please continue to discuss manufactured spend

I now have the USAir MC and have made (and paid off) my purchases and the annual fee. Since this is my 1st rewards card, I'm assuming the bonus miles show up after the 1st billing cycle. The fine print looks like this is the case, correct?

I read this post about applying for up to 3 USAir MCs for the bonuses and getting approved through a glitch in the Barclay system. The fine print on the MC paperwork basically says 'if this isn't your first USAir MC, and you receive a bonus for which you're not eligible, Barclay may direct USAir to revoke the bonus miles or charge the card for the fair market value'. Are people going to get surprised by getting their points revoked?

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Say you want to close a card that's has a fee for a card with the same bank. I've heard mention of moving credit between them before closing out. How do you ask about that? Just call and say I want to close X card, please move my credit to Y card (with the same bank)?

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

I got the 50k bonus from the Barclays usair MC, the 50k bonus from the citi aadvantage will be complete this month after I complete the $2000 spend. Now that I'll have flights, I want to get a hotel rewards card. Is there anything stopping me from essentially double dipping on rewards and getting both Hilton cards (citi and Amex) for the bonuses (pending acceptance of course)?

I ordered an Amex serve card, but unfortunately I'm not in a target red card market, so I'm going to have to look elsewhere to manufacture spending. A valid SSN is all that's needed for additional serve cards right? What's to stop me from getting one for each of my family members (with their permission) and maxing out new CC app bonuses by charging $1000/month on each one? Do the CC companies ever wise up to this stuff? It seems like no, as there are many blogs about it, but I don't know.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

nickutz posted:

Looks like there is now less than a month left to apply for the Barclaycard US Airways Dividend Miles card with 50,000 point sign up bonus (after first purchase and annual fee payment of $89).

The US Airways and AAdvantage programs are merging around the end of April so your Dividend Miles will become AAdvantage points around then.

It's becoming the AAviator MC which will be unavailable for anyone but current USAir Barclaycard holders. And I believe all purchases are 2x miles until June on this card through the transition.

e: Is anyone familiar with Amex Serve? Is the monthly online load limit refreshed on the beginning of the calendar month?

Cacafuego fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Mar 13, 2015

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

SiGmA_X posted:

I started using it last month. It's refreshed on the first of the calendar month. I use it to pay my power bill now, if I could load over a grand I'd pay rent too...

MS it! It's not difficult

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Bisty Q. posted:

You better hurry, Serve is shutting down CC loads online for non-Amex cards on 4/1.

Most Amex cards don't earn any points when used for Serve, though some third-party Amex cards (FIA 2% Amex, etc.) apparently do.

drat, that must've literally happened today, I hadn't read anything about it as of yesterday. I'll stop at target and get a redcard when I'm in PA soon.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

dexter6 posted:

I'm less concerned about which airline I fly and more concerned about having enough miles. So lets say I want a 50k flight and only have 40k BA miles, I can't dip into the 100k I have for AA to book the flight, right?

From the previous post though, it sounds like you can book the 50k BA flight with the 100k AA miles though, correct? If so, I may be getting the BA card next.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

If I was an authorized user on an Amex card years ago (account closed last year - a joint card with my now ex-wife), can I have the date on my current card change to reflect that? Will that help increase my AAoA with Amex?

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Can you sign up for 2 tiers of the same card (ie Citi AAdvantage platinum and Citi AAdvantage gold) to get each bonus (50k and 25k)? I don't want to waste a hard pull if not.

Cacafuego posted:

If I was an authorized user on an Amex card years ago (account closed last year - a joint card with my now ex-wife), can I have the date on my current card change to reflect that? Will that help increase my AAoA with Amex?

In case anyone is interested, they are sending me a new card with "member since 2012". I'm still unsure whether this actually affects my AAoA or not.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Called Amex today because I received an Amex HHonors no AF card earlier this month with the 40,000 point bonus for $750 spend in 3 months. I met that, received the points and saw today that I didn't do my homework earlier and that there was a 50,000 point offer for the same card when I applied.

I chatted with Amex this afternoon and while the 1st rep couldn't do anything, I asked to escalate. The next rep first offered 3000 extra points (couldn't give me 10,000, she said) and that I would've had to apply using the 50,000 point page to get that deal. I told her I wanted 10,000 as everything was the same, but I didn't know the link was available.

I threatened to close and get the HHonors no AF card from Citi (which has a 60,000 HHonors point bonus available). Then, I asked for an upgrade to the Amex HHonors Surpass (50,000 points with $3k/3mo spend). She told me she couldn't do the upgrade (which she said I can do when targeted), but because of my good history with Amex since 2011 (I paid off/closed my gold card last June) that, yes they will give me the 10,000 points!

Cacafuego fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Mar 29, 2015

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

nickutz posted:

Yep, looks like the US Airways card is gone for good now. I know Barclaycard took it off their list a while back but you could still apply through US Airways website. USAirways.com has links to the Citi AAdvantage now.

How long does the 50k miles take to hit your account after the annual fee is charged?

I was surprised how quick it was, before the first statement I believe, as long as you buy something and pay both it and the fee right away.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

And I'm not going to spend $90/$3000 on either of these cards unless I see somewhere that I /am/ going to get my signup bonus so is there seriously no way to confirm 1) what my signup bonus was and 2) whether or not it's "active"?

When you get the card in the mail it comes with the terms that you got the card for. No email, just paper, or you could call and ask I guess.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

nickutz posted:

Barclaycard's Ring gives 1% as statement credits on balance transfers with no fee. Only issue I know of with that card is ridiculously low limits.

And 8%APR, isn't it?

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

FISHMANPET posted:

I got a Ring with a $10k limit but then they very quickly dropped the limit to $5k, thankfully after I'd moved my $10k onto it.

Did they give rationale for the drop?

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Must be within the past 30 days because they did it for me as of 3/3.

e: yeah, as of 3/21 if it's correct

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

For anyone that doesn't know, banks give out $$ to start new accounts. If you are a new customer, or if you have not gotten the bonus in a certain time period (usually 18-24 months) you can take advantage of the offers. The best part is, you can usually fund them when you open the account with a rewards credit card, although, check to see if they will be a cash advance.

I've recently completed this Chase promo offer and received $300 after a direct deposit (or variety of other ways Chase sees a deposit as a 'direct deposit') is made to the account (it must stay open 6 months and the $12 monthly fee can be waived with additional 'direct deposits' of $500/mo; ie ACH deposits from another bank).

I've also done this PNC bank promo (can be done all online) to receive another $300 using the same method of direct deposit (total of $5,000 in DD to receive max of $300, account open 6 months, $500 DD/mo to waive monthly fee)

You will get taxed on the bonuses! After the 6 months, I close the account and resume using my original checking account.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

asur posted:

Can the Chase offer be done online? When I looked at it last month it seemed like you had to stop by a Chase branch to open the accounts.

Have to go in for the chase, unfortunately.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

After the announcement today, the crying over Target redcard not taking CC loads starting tomorrow is pretty funny.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

This guy on frequentmiler:

quote:

Man this is really bad. Just ordered 20k amex gift card this morning via TCB. I am calling right now to cancel it…

lol

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Hobo de los Muertos posted:

Is it still a viable option to load money into Serve on an Amex gift card?

Are there any other easy ways to meet this spending goal?

Visa GC with debit on serve, yes. Amex GC that swipes as credit, no.

The key is finding a place that you can use AGC to buy VGC, then load serve. You may be able to use radpad to pay mortgage with a credit card, can't remember if that still works...

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

As with all rumors, won't know until it happens, but lol if target stops taking GC for redcards on Friday as rumored on FT. You may want to liquidate those GCs quick.

I was faithful to serve, don't break my kates

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

I applied for the BofA Alaska air card, instant approval for $14k. Applied immediately after that one for a targeted BofA cash back card to combine hard pulls, it basically said "unable to complete at this time, wait 30 days for a response".

I called, 1st CSR said I have to wait. Called again 2nd said essentially same thing, but that it was approved, they're just waiting to determine a credit line.

Called today in business hours, approved with split credit limit $5k from Alaska air card to the second card, no other questions. Will the hard pulls still be combined?

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

I've never understood the insane love for the CSP and Arrival+. So the sign up bonus is worth about $400 in travel, right?

For example: the 50000 points I got from the citi AA platinum is worth a round trip ticket to Europe (40k milesaaver) +10k extra points. It's tough to find a RT Europe ticket for <$1000, right? My WF propel bonus is 40k points which I can redeem for $400 cash or use for even more value in travel. Both of those seem like a greater deal than the CSP and arrival. What am I missing that people constantly push those 2 cards and say they have the best bonuses?

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

pig slut lisa posted:

The value with the CSP comes from the multitude of travel partners and the excellent non-point benefits.

The value with the Arrival+ comes from getting reimbursed for a wide variety of travel expenses. If you use up those points on an airfare that could have otherwise been done through a reward booking, then you've done a pretty poor job of maximizing value. But if you use the points on train tickets or baggage fees or other travel stuff, you can get reimbursed for stuff better than with an airline-specific card.

The Citi AA Platinum is a very good airline-specific card and worth having as well.

Makes sense. I don't doubt they're good, I just didn't know why those were the 2 that are suggested everywhere. Perhaps because I churn and really only MS for the min spends, I think of things in terms of best bonus and not what is actually spent on the card. Like, I can clearly see how the ink is superior, I just wasn't thinking about it in terms of normal spending on a card like CSP or arrival.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

SiGmA_X posted:

What do you do MS wise these days? I miss easy MS'ing.

I have a Wells Fargo propel world Amex that earns points for the easy $1000 serve load/month, then Simon mall/sunrise GCs to load up to $5k/month. I don't get too crazy, don't have the time for it.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

lampey posted:

Penfed has a good card with chip+signature+pin and no foreign currency fee. I have the platinum rewards one with ~4% on gas and ~2.5% on groceries. (1 point is around .88 cents) There is a $5k min balance and you need good credit. I think all of Penfed's cards have no foreign transaction fee.

Discover has no fee and the new cards have a chip, but I am not sure if it supports chip+pin or signature only.

I can confirm the penfed platinum rewards visa lampey posted is both good and a chip&pin with no forex fees. I have heard that you need really good credit to get though. I use mine for all grocery and gas. It also got me 3x points when I bought my PS4 at target, haha.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

asur posted:

I've asked and was told no, but I'd ask anyway since there's nothing to lose.

Ive asked online by chat and it took about 30 minutes of me threatening to cancel and asking for a supervisor, but they eventually matched the current promo.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

lampey posted:

Most credit cards from Penfed. https://www.penfed.org/credit-card-overview/
They do chip+pin and chip+signature. The cards with good points have relatively high credit requirements but the other cards still have no ftf or annual fee.

Correct, my PenFed platinum rewards visa (5x pump gas, 3x grocery) is both no AF/no FTF and is chip and pin.

JohnCompany posted:

Isn't the WF propel also C&P? I only know because I'm thinking about getting one - yes american express boo, but the WF relationship bonuses are nice.

Yes, I have this one as well and it is C&P.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

JohnCompany posted:

Can I ask anyone with a Amex how rough it actually is day to day? 'm looking at the Wells Fargo Propel, because the WF loyalty bonuses are sweet and I'm with them anyway, and am just wondering if it'll be accepted often enough, particularly in western Europe, that between it and a debit card I'll be covered?

I constantly use Amex and have the WF propel. Like said above, maybe 1/10 they don't accept Amex, but almost never a problem. The $100 travel statement credit is reimbursed very quickly. Chip/pin, no FTF. The AF is $175, so I may not keep it, but it's very good. Rewards points take 1 month to post and the loyalty bonuses are calculated quarterly, but only given 12 months later.

I don't have experience with it overseas though

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

pig slut lisa posted:

Call Citi and say you're going to cancel because the products overlap and you like Barclays better. I just did this and got offered 3,000 bonus miles for $500 spend in 3 months.

I SM'ed them and said basically said the same thing. They closed my account without even asking me if it was ok. Probably a good idea to call them and don't SM otherwise they may just close it on you

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Gamesguy posted:

It's going to be a boutique shop so none of those promotions will work for me. :(

Good man.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Blinkman987 posted:

SPG Amex 30k points promotion is live, but only through referral. I saw in the rules no "referral gimmicks" so to speak. I feel like this isn't one. So, PM me or otherwise get me your email and I can send some out. $3k spend across 3 months. If this does fall under the rules, then I take it all back >_>

I don't think it's referral only, but likewise, with a PM, I can also provide a 30,000 point Amex SPG referral link if someone needs one.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

When the Amex SPG offer went up to 30,000, a couple weeks ago, I applied for it and the PRG at the same time. I have yet to get the SPG card, but the PRG is backdated to 2012. I thought Amex stopped doing that earlier this year?

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Ahh, ok. Thanks for the clarification.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

For anyone interested in signing up now, the chase sapphire preferred bonus has increased to 50,000 points as of yesterday. If you've applied within the last 3 months, it's worth it to SM/call chase and ask for the extra 10k points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

ilkhan posted:

Interesting, but I don't think I have $4k in spending coming up in the next 3 months. Most MS methods have been closed off, right?
Wish I could pay rent on a card. Would make it simple.

Redbird is dead, yes, but I still buy gift cards/load to serve, which you can use to cut a check for rent. You can use Plastiq for rent, I believe. Prepay your car insurance, or phone/cable bill. It's Xmas, buy $4k worth of gifts!