Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

skipdogg posted:

I personally think there is some sort of insider issue with Citi cards, either in shipping, the post office, somewhere along the line. I've had my new Citi cards compromised twice before they even got to me in the mail. Both times Citi contacted me before I even knew there was a problem.

This happened to me with a Citi corporate card for work before I received it in the mail. Apparently it happened to a bunch of people that I worked with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Are there any Sofi users out there that want to provide a referral for a loan for the bonus? I’d gladly do that with the caveat that I’d pay it back immediately just to get the bonus.

E: https://www.doctorofcredit.com/sofi-loan-300-referral-bonus/

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Upgrade posted:

There are some other worthwhile Plat benefits: access to return protection (I get $400 - $500 a year out of this), $20/mo credit towards some streaming services, and Saks credits.

The streaming services are sub-optimal, but you also get $170 in credits for Clear, $100 in airline incidental credit and a $200 credit for a stay at Amex’s fine hotels portfolio booked through Amex travel which we did recently that gave 20% off spa/restaurant, plus another $100 in hotel credits, free full breakfast and a bunch of other stuff.

It’s become a keeper for us.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Small White Dragon posted:

Be aware those credits can be harder to use than, say, CSR's credit.

How so? I’ve honestly been surprised at how easy they were. Iirc, the only ones that require actually assigning them to your card are the flight incidental credit and the digital entertainment credit.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

smackfu posted:

For instance: $200 in airline fee credits for one airline vs $200 in credits for any travel expenses. We easily spend $200 on travel a year but don’t spend that much at a single airline on fees.

Unsinkabear posted:

The streaming credit only working on services no one uses is another

Both good points! They are annoyingly specific, but I wouldn’t say they are hard to use though as long as you read up about how to do it.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Hadlock posted:

Can we get amex to just like, give her her own platinum card, at a reduced rate or something, or has anyone heard of getting your platinum annual fee expensed by the company?
Typically, no for both.

quote:

Wife is probably going to book $8-10,000/mo in reimbursable travel expenses a month in perpetuity, does she need to get a business card through her work or what

Why not have her apply for a business card herself? The Amex platinum has a business card as do many other brands, including ones that offer free airline lounge entry for their card holders if she’s going to be doing a lot of flying. I doubt she’d be able to expense the annual fee, but no harm in asking.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

smackfu posted:

Kind of amazed any company is having employees put $10k of spending on their personal cards.

It happens if you’re a contractor. I do the same thing. When I had a W2 job as a direct hire with a company, I had a corporate card. But as a contractor for a similar company, they either provide a corporate card, or allow you to use your own and reap the benefits.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Yeah, the "should of" would raise red flags with me.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

I believe there's some oddball card (Blit?) that transfers to AA, but otherwise you're stuck with either the Citi or Barclays AA cards.

However, they track the signup bonuses separately, so you can sign up for both if you need AA points. (Add in a AA Business card, and you could even do three signups.)

At one point, I had done Citi and Barclays personal and business cards as well as the US air one before it became AA.

Also, I thought Citi TY points now xfer to AA?

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

wargames posted:

Electric motor and transmission.

You buying an EV piecemeal?

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

wargames posted:

Going for citi then, thanks.

Replacing a marine diesel in a sailboat, because that is the cheaper option.

Ahh cool, I didn’t know that was an option for boats!

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

The Amex platinum digital entertainment credit is actually useable for something good now:

quote:

Experience the latest shows, audiobooks, music, news, and recipes. Get up to $20 in statement credits each month when you use your Platinum Card® for eligible purchases on: Audible, Disney+, The Disney Bundle, ESPN+, Hulu, Peacock, SiriusXM, and The New York Times when you purchase directly from one or more of the providers. This can be an annual savings of up to $240.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Chaotic Flame posted:

I think I remember someone in this thread sharing a site or system for figuring how best to use your different reward points for specific travel. Am I making that up or does anyone else remember / know what I'm talking about? For example, if you had points in Chase's ecosystem and Citi, you could put your destination and you could see which airlines you could transfer to / hotel partners / etc.

You might want to ask in r/churning. Sounds like something they may be familiar with.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Elephanthead posted:

Free Hulu ESPN plus Disney plus is all I can think of

The $15/mo Uber credit can be used for Uber eats as well.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Hadlock posted:

Every seat was typically packed, service was amazing, of course, but we would get in, sort of wander around looking for seats, finally one person would go do drink orders and the other would hover around until seats opened up

This has usually been my experience in CLT, DFW and MIA and I usually fly on off hours. I’ve seen the massive lines to get in and been waitlisted before and it sucks. Building additional lounges/expanding existing ones would be the best idea, but $.

The only current options I see are increasing the annual fee to a price that gatekeeps it for the truly wealthy, making active duty military pay the fee at least for the platinum or reducing the amount of free guests you can bring in. The latter would at least bring them in line with the other airline lounges.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Residency Evil posted:

I have yet to use a priority pass lounge successfully in the US.

The one in Sacramento was pretty good!

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

My Admirals club membership ran out and I’m debating whether to sign up for the Citi AA Executive card. If I do and they take forever to send it, would I get access to the admirals club before I receive the actual card? Would they be able to look me up in the system to find out I’m a member prior to getting the physical card?

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

If you are the primary cardholder, it will be reflected in your AA account and you do not need the card to get into the admirals clubs. If you add family members etc as secondary cardholders, they need to have the physical card with them to get in without you.

Also, usually these premium cards will be expedited (and our Citi AA Exec was), so you should get it pretty quickly.

This is what I assumed, but thank you for the confirmation!

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Shroomie posted:

I've only done it with Amex. I'm technically a landlord since I own my house and my cousin pays me rent, but they never even asked what my business did. They only cared how much money it made. I put $6K and the instantly approved me.

I've heard Chase can be a little more stringent. You might need to do a phone interview and have answers about your business ready.

The IRS isn't going to care about any of it. Chase isn't sending them a 1099 or whatever saying how much you spent on your "business" card.

Yep, I’ve applied for chase, Amex, Barclays and citi business cards and received all after instant approval without an actual “traditional” business. Chase did call to confirm info as you’ve indicated above.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

saintonan posted:

I've had better success being more direct with Amex. If you really do want to cancel if you don't get a retention offer, say so, otherwise I say something like "I'd like to check to see if there's a retention offer on my account".

When is the best time to do this? After the AF posts?

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Amex just offered a pretty sweet 55,000 MR retention offer for $4,000 spend in 3 months, which we took them up on.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

Do you have to threaten to cancel to get these? Feeling like my CSP might not be that useful after 1 year

I told them the annual fee just posted and I was wondering if there were any retention offers on my account. They offered generic info about Amex platinum’s benefits and I said I was aware of them and we had some other cards that offered similar benefits, so we were deciding which ones to keep. They made the offer after that. No threatening necessary this time.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

I've never paid any attention to sign up bonuses and have just quietly plunked away at my 1% / 2% / 5% rewards card for the last decade but this last week I've gone deep down the rabbit hole of churning and travel rewards. I live near O'hare and it sure looks like my spouse and I can easily churn 2 cards a year each with our existing spend and bank enough points to buy two round trip business class tickets to Europe annually. Toss some hotel reward cards in for good measure and we're talking a European vacation with free business class travel and free hotels every 1.5 years. Am I missing something here or do these bonuses just trick enough people into overspending and overextending to pay for the few that can spreadsheet it out and control their spending?

It seems insane that I'd be able to get $9k vacations for free every 18 months into perpetuity though mild amounts of spreadsheeting and financial restraint.

Most of the better points/miles redemptions are found either ~330 days out or within 2 weeks of the date you are looking. Good bargains can still be found, but you usually have to be flexible on dates. I’d imagine though, that you could pull this off if you don’t mind tracking it. We typically do a big int’l vacation every other year with business class flights and luxury hotels paid for with miles/points thanks to sign-up bonuses/retention bonuses/points and miles accrued through my work travel.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

They have also removed the "3 for the price of 1" authorized user deal on the Platinum card.

Good, maybe that’ll cut down the line at the centurion lounges!

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

CubicalSucrose posted:

Retention offer(s)?

We got a 55k MR points retention offer this year for $5,000 spend in 3 months I think? Doesn’t hurt to ask.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

I’m just hoping the Delta changes result in less people in the centurion lounges. If Amex stopped giving active duty military annual fee waivers on the platinums you’d see a huge drop in centurion lounge visitors, but that’ll never happen, so we’ll see how the delta changes affect it.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Residency Evil posted:

Won't it result in more people in Centurion lounges, since the people traveling on Delta will now have fewer choices?

Maybe? But from some of the responses I was seeing, it looked like current delta frequent flyers were going to dump the Amex plat in favor of a card that still allows access to sky clubs. Time will tell, I suppose.

actionjackson posted:

Honestly what is the point of any status level at this point?

Upgrades and free bags are nice, but what I really care about is getting bumped to the front of the line or standby list when there’s IRROPS. I want to get where I’m going when things get inevitably hosed up.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Triggs posted:

Question for the folks who travel lots - what cards do you have and why?

We have an Amex platinum, chase sapphire preferred and Citi AA executive.

I fly a ton for work, so having a centurion or AA lounge available at allmost times is beneficial. My wife is an AU and so is my brother, so they each get lounge access when they fly. On a semi-annual basis, I do ask for retention bonuses on at least the Amex.

We collect points mainly for international travel. Last year, we flew to Japan and back in business class and stayed in Conrad hotels while there at little to no cost. Next year, I’ve booked business class flights to an African safari at about $250 cost in fees, although we have to pay for the safari lodging, they don’t take hotel/airline/credit card points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Baddog posted:

Ehhh, I think it used to be better, now the credits are all for stuff I mostly don't use. Except for the 200 in airline fee credit, that ones easy. I think you can even get a giftcard and get credit.

But I can see some people might get value, if you already use some of this stuff

$200 credit for uber
$240 credit for disney+/hulu/espn/NYT/WSJ (meh)
$155 credit for a walmart+ sub (weird, is this the amazon prime equivalent?)
$189 for clear, if your airport has it - and denver it seems like the lines for clear are worse than precheck now
$200 hotel (if you book through amex, gently caress that tho)

Signing up for the miles is worth it though if you can get good value out of maybe one of these. To justify it on a recurring basis..... eh.

We use all of these plus a lot of the centurion lounges for frequent (weekly) travel. The plat still retains the priority pass lounges, I believe.

The Walmart+ sub also gives you paramount+ streaming service free.

The $200 hotel credit booking through Amex is nice for the fine hotels and resorts program with all the benefits it provides (~$100 resort credit, free breakfasts for every day you stay, upgrades, early check in/late check out). For the past few years we’ve used it for 4+ night stays at Conrad hotels where they give you the 4th night free.