Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

Popero posted:

Does BoA allow retirement assets to count? Seems Chase (mostly) does not.

Yes, all assets count as far as I know. I can vouch for IRA, SEP, and ROTH.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

waloo posted:

What does Chase do that is better rewards for assets in the or accounts? I was only aware of the BoA one.

I think the branding is Sapphire Banking. I don't know if they do any bonus CC stuff, but I know it includes some brokerage and fee waivers. Much like the rest of the premium rewards package.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

FunOne posted:

The BofA offering for CC @ 2.6% everywhere plus bonus on the rewards card ...

Just wanted to follow this up, with the full bonus on the Premium rewards CC at BofA my effective rate was 2.97% cash back last month. Very much worth a consideration if you're in a place where you can take advantage of it.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

Residency Evil posted:

Wait so what kind of people
1) need a good credit history
2) are willing to pay for it
3) are not doing anything illegal

???

Good natured idiots trusting "credit repair services"

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

Animal posted:

Yeah we go on personal trips about 3 times per year but we end up using airline miles and hotel points to cover everything, and I keep accruing those at work so they never seem to run out.

Spend and rebuild your balances. Don't horde them, they lose value, but keep using them for "free" vacations. You won't have this job forever and you won't be able to travel whenever, wherever, forever either, and you'll want to still have those points when life changes it up on you.

I used to have 100% travel job and built big balances on Hilton, AA, etc. I'm still living off them even though my new job(s) have taken travel down to like 10%. Nice to be able to still swing some business class tickets for the wife for a vacation and not go out of pocket on it.

Or, do the math, doesn't it make more sense to use your points for the vacations you wanted to take anyway and pocket those dollars in your ROTH vs. cashing out points (at a discount!) then paying out of pocket for the same trip?

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

Has anyone ever tried using the AMEX $15/month Uber benefit to purchase Uber credits, thus allowing them to be pooled? Unsurprisingly, the benefit is more useful if I can use it a few times per year on ~$50 rides.

They now show up AS credits, so you can't really use them to buy credits. You can now use them on UberEATS tho.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

It occurs to me that the AMEX Delta Platinum card is inferior to the generic AMEX Platinum if your goal is to maximize Delta Skymiles.

What's up with that? Is the Delta card simply a bit crap after the sign up bonus?

I think it's about the lounge membership, fee waivers, and qualifying dollars. If it's just about mile earn for you then yeah there are better options.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe
I don't know about gift cards, but almost anything travel related counts for the reimbursement so maybe use it for train tickets or Uber rides or musem tickets.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

Waroduce posted:

I have a 7k credit limit, a 740 credit score and I make low six figures on a card with low utilization. I need a 10k credit limit to upgrade my CSP to CSR. How serious and what goes into that decision. do I qualify

Yes, call them and tell them to raise it. Mention you make money.

They really only have your credit score/report to go off of, so if yours really only has one card and no other issues it should be very easy to get 25-50 limit if you want it. They'll ask about rent and my ask for a paystub copy or access to your tax returns, but I've only ever had Amex get that interested.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

saintonan posted:

No problem. My only reason for commenting is that lots of people read this thread and, being goons, are more focused on the min max part. The combination of CSR, CF, and CFU will in most redemption cases be better than BoA but there is added effort needed to manage travel on one card, quarterly bonuses on another card, etc.

The vast majority of credit card users never use rewards or use them improperly, so just having a plan puts you way ahead of the game.

If someone told me to trade away my BofA 2.6%+ on everything card to category swap stuff around to maybe get another 1% on my spend I'd be tempted to slap them.

I'm about tempted to shut down all my cards and just standardize on the BofA cards. loving gently caress trying transfer into reward miles on airlines I don't fly normally to see if I can get the award to issue out on just the right dates then I just match it up with the other card and transfer their points to a hotel chain to get a blackout free award hotel and gently caress it. Cash. I can manage cash and then just buy tickets to places I want to go.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

MrBond posted:

I will absolutely redeem a bunch of points valid for that though, since the redemption cost is much lower than the cash price for seat.

Variable award chart pricing is going to make that a lot harder in the future though, so cash rewards is still super valid!

For example, I recently purchased a premium ticket to Asia using miles. AA miles of 175k bought a ticket for ~2600 USD. Not bad, but if I earned those on CC spend (I didn't), that'd be about 1.5 cents/$. So in that case, 2.6% cash would've been much better.

On those same flights I could've purchased business for ~7k, and that would've been I think 375k miles. Again only 1.8% if I had earned the miles via spend.

Still plenty of places to grab some outsized value, but I'm not finding as many super-discount round trip tickets instead of super-expensive purchase tickets available. My AA Exec card is for lounge access, not buying things.

Not after they removed the price rewind feature. That was worth its weight in gold.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe
It'll still say "Member Since" on your card though.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe
Lost 17 points by paying off my car.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe
AMEX Plat question. I'm up for my annual fee on my next statement (the one closing this month I believe).

Obviously the value prop has wildly changed with the end of the world.

Should I wait until my statement gets cut to argue with them about it? Or do I need to do it before the statement closes?

Has anyone said anything about modifying the annual fees due to travel being way down?

I mean, worst thing would be I product swap into something else to keep my MR active then just get the card again whenever I start traveling again.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

astral posted:

Keep your MR active by applying to a no-AF Amex Everyday credit card (or the AF-having Everyday Preferred). The PC options for the Plat are just their other charge cards.

How long have you had your plat? If it's over a year (i.e. if you've already paid two AFs), feel free to cancel or PC before the next AF pops up. Otherwise, wait til after it posts.

I've had it for a while. I know how to change/update the cards, the bigger question was whether or not I need to do it before it cuts to have an argument with them and if anyone had seen anything regarding fees. I've heard in the past they were very stingy with making any adjustments to the AF and I was wondering if that had changed.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

asur posted:

If you want to keep it and argue for a lesser fee or something then you need o wait for the annual fee to show up. If you want to product change or cancel then you can do that at anytime though there is a suggestion to wait a minimum of 12 months.

Yeah, if I'm travelling then the AF is fine since I make it up in the benefits, but if I'm not then I don't want to pay it. If I can just wait until it posts on a statement then I'll have more info to argue with them and either open a new Amex and close this one or see if they'll credit some amount back to me.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe
Yeah, the statement has to print to show usage. It also used to be advised to set a reminder every 6mo or so to call and raise your limit. Utilization is a big part of your score, so the higher limit makes your % utilization go down . You look more responsible for doing the same things.

No idea if that is still viable.

Also, if you have 2 cards with a company, move the credit kind before you close one. That way you retain the overall credit limit.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

Residency Evil posted:

What are the redemptions like? Looks like 3.5 points on travel/dining, 2.62 on everything else? Can you just take that as cash back?

Yep! And invested balances at Merrill/Edge count towards your relationship bonuses, so if you have an old 401k moved to an IRA sitting around in ETFs at Edge you can get 2.6% cash-back everywhere. Pretty easy to get the 100$ travel credit to cover the $95 annual fee too.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

Residency Evil posted:

Does transferring involve selling/buying stocks/paying capital gains?

edit: maybe maybe not https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/investing/switch-brokers-move-investments/

You can ACAT normal investment accounts or just cash out and transfer cash for retirement accounts. BofA relationship bonus is on assets with the bank, doesn't have to be cash.

So if you have an IRA invested in target date XXX you can move that to Edge and get the bonus on the CCs.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe
I'm pretty sure I put the down payment on my last car, which was all of about 2k, on my credit card with no issues. Just paid it off on the bill like normal.

I doubt the dealership / car lot is interested in eating the fees on a large transaction, but they might be motivated to get a deal done (or if they're already screwing you out of that money elsewhere).

That's assuming you're paying your cards in full each month. You don't owe interest until after the bill cuts and the grace period after that hits.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe
Yeah, wait till they send you back to the credit person then say you gotta run home to get a check book or we can put it on the card. They do not want you to leave and think further about your purchase.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe
BofA has 18m history and mobile check deposits cap at 50 or 100k a month. Something like that. The named account thing might be more of a pain though. I thought local banks were usually the ones setup for these kind of businesses.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe
How can I utilize this Amex travel credit to close the year? I've already made a few hundred off this plat card this year, might as well go ahead and net out next years attempted annual fee.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe
It goes against the common advice but I'd just close those cards if you have a decent credit history now. I don't think it'll ding you that much for that long. And if you're not buying a house or car in the next 3 months who cares?

And any mistake or missed thing on that card will do far more damage than that.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe
Last time I did the math it made more sense to get it via CC than actually purchase, but I was looking at it against net cash back on the Amex Plat and I have multiple PP lounge visits baked into my calendar most years, so I'm getting the use out of it.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

THF13 posted:

Money in an IRA counts towards it so it's not really that absurd a barrier to meet. The 100k could be sitting in a Vanguard Total Stock Market ETF.

Absolutely this. The broad fee waivers on top of the 2.62% cash back or better every where just for consolidating retirement accounts is pretty good for me. Very little of it is in cash and they don't care.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The "best" use for Amex points is transferring them to hotel and flight partners. You can get up to 1.75x value sometimes.

Probably not much that comes close to that value with the points.

I can usually spend my Amex points at Delta and get 350-450$$ for 25k points, or ~1.6 cents/point value. If you primarily earn points via purchased airfare thats almost 8% back net on 5k in spend.

I agree though, its much more of a PITA to get that value compared to a direct cash-back card.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

In theory the card's coverage is exactly the same as long as I use it to pay the rental and decline Avis' insurance, right?

Yes. I usually book through Avis's website using the discount/upgrade code.

Rental cars are totally hosed right now though no matter what code/card.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe
That's pretty standard. Have them overnight you a new card and dispute the bad charges.once they post.

If it keeps happening I'd take a look at where you're using it to see if you can identify where it is getting lifted.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Yeah I took a look at charges over the last few months and the only place that I would be suspicious of was a self-pay parking kiosk. Or ya'know, any of the national chains I shop at, since they are so secure.

With the proliferation of chip terminals and tap-n-pay in the US I would think online is one the last options for using stolen card info.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe
The trick to big limits is to open new cards with your same institution then consolidate credit lines when you close old cards.

4x 25k cards later with my bank and my main card has almost a 6 figure line attached.

But I'm also a person in here who doesn't micromanage my FICO. Close old cards when I don't use them, open new new when I want, don't churn bonuses, etc. so consider my advice in that context.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

Unsinkabear posted:

I'm genuinely a little curious why this is a thing you're so evangelistic about?

I'd be hard pressed to describe myself as "evangelistic" about any of this. I answered the previous post on "how to get big limit credit card" and didn't address any of the reason on "why" you would want one or not want one.

And you're right that would be bad advice for someone not well established. However, "never close a card because MAH FICO" is equally bad advice for many people. Hope you're enjoying my post history.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

saintonan posted:

Be aware that Amazon is currently in a snit with Visa, and may rebrand the card as a Mastercard in the near future.

I thought said snit was specific with Visa UK and not Visa in general?

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe
I dropped my new phone yesterday and cracked up the rear cover and bottom of the screen nicely. I bought with my Amex, so I'm hoping I'm covered for the accident protection here.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Am I going to have to go get a bunch of quotes for repair or will I be able to file and substantiate then just get a new phone? How terrible is the process?

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

Tortilla Maker posted:

What's the best American Airlines friendly card aside from the CitiBank AAdvantage offerings?

Citi's general rewards cards don't have AA as a direct travel partner, so I wouldn't be able to transfer 1:1 points to my AAdvantage card.

If you and a spouse are frequent flyers that Exec card is great for the family. Primary holder gets the membership and all other cards get individual access on their own for the annual fee. Spreading that benefit amongst several user makes the cost much more palatable. I've got 4 independent travelers on mine.

No idea on acquiring miles though, and changes are coming with the status plan going through another change.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

Etuni posted:

It wouldn't be a huge deal to do this and it sounds like most here do, but I've successfully avoided those annoyances and maintained a high credit score only from credit card use, so it seems like the amount you're "hurting yourself" is a bit overblown.

Good luck, I've been called out in this thread for similar logic.

Ultimately, banks want to extend credit to people who pay it back. If you're going to min/max your cards to get the most rewards then you probably need to min/max your credit score as well.

If you're out of the game I think you're safe just keeping a reasonable mix and not churning too often on new cards. So long as you continue to pay them properly your score will be fine too.

Biggest hit to my credit so far this last year was selling my house. Took 3 whole months to fix itself.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

Professor Shark posted:

I decided to switch banks after moving and seeing that RBC had an offer of a free iPad if one were to set up a Chequings account with 1) payroll deposit and 2) two monthly deductions (my old bank offered nothing and the local branch is open for a couple hours a day at this point). *The offer had a deadline of Feb 28th

I switched over my payroll and, after a lot of time on the phone, got both my home insurance and car insurance (same company, two different transactions) to go through my new account. When I phoned a rep the day after my insurances came out I was told that despite what the offer said, the call center team leader told the employees that the withdraws had to be from two different companies or else the system wouldn't count them and that there was nothing that they could do.

I scrambled (feeling bwm even more at this point) and set up my phone bill to come out a week later, however it didn't and the rep for that company said I probably switched my billing too late and they would just charge me double next month.

Feeling annoyed at this point, but thought it might be worth asking this thread if there was anything I might be able to do, assuming CC rewards are similar to bank offers.

Do you have a utility bill you can pay via deduction? Maybe sent the power company $20 via a manual payment to see if that triggers the deduction credit.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe
Got a retention offer when I went to close out my Amex for 550 cash for 4k in spend. I think I'm going to do it, but I'm still on the fence on if it makes sense to keep spending on this Plat or just shut it down, get a no-fee Amex CC for the points, and move my spend to a normal 2+% cash back card.

If I assume I cut back spending on the card to ~12k/yr then it works out to about 3.5% return on spend with the Uber, NYT/D+, and other benefits. And if I zero the other items out then I get to about 2.7% so its a wash with other cards.

Upgrade posted:

i've posted this before, but its worth mentioning again: amex return protection is very very good and easily nets me $200 - $300/yr

How do you get this kind of benefit out of it?

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

Residency Evil posted:

I have yet to use a priority pass lounge successfully in the US.

The club at CHS is awesome and a Priority Pass lounge.

Well, awesome for Charleston.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

MrLogan posted:

You only get 2.5% on the first $10k spend, unfortunately (in addition to the other hoops). I just want something to put $25k-$30k on annually and not have to worry about rotating categories or min/maxing or anything. :(

BofA will do 2.62% everywhere on their top cards with relationship bonus from parking assets with BofA/ML.