Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Baddog posted:

Apparently you can go over the Roth IRA contribution limit with amex points using the Schwab card. Because no one values them as actual cash.

https://www.drmcfrugal.com/roth-ira-loophole-schwab-amex/

I am not a tax accountant,.please verify with your own, etc. But this would make them worth considerably more than just cash. Worth more than any other redemption to me.

Be aware that there is a penalty for over contributing to an IRA. I would not recommend doing this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

ranbo das posted:

A first class flight from Japan was 180,000 in 2019, it's like 400,000 today

Also Delta doesn't have international first class anymore, just business.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

pseudanonymous posted:

It worked, proud owner of 2 custom cash cards.

In other news, Amex has changed their rules, and now instead of 1 signup bonus for the "vanilla" amex, 1 for Schwab and 1 for Morgan Stanley amex they are only allowing 1 SUB for 1 platinum card . Though it' really unclear and people are reporting still getting a vanilla sub and then say a schwab sub, and it is sort of looking like if you go from vanilla - branded card you can get 2.

They have also removed the "3 for the price of 1" authorized user deal on the Platinum card.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

skipdogg posted:

I have no skin in the game, but man Delta people are big mad about the changes on social media.

They made the program too easy to get status in and they're basically resetting it

If you mean rollover MQM, yes, they let people acquire tons of it during COVID leaving a bunch more Medallions.

But, they, like, burned down the house to solve a termite problem.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

saintonan posted:

The Chase Sapphire Reserve (CSR) has a $300 annual travel credit with it, and their definition of travel is pretty broad, so think of the CSR as having an annual fee $300 lower than it is. I would start with that and see how you like managing credit card rewards before pushing into the Amex Plat.

Honestly, I think it's hard to recommend the CSR these days. It's a $550 annual fee with a $300 travel credit, so $250 is out of pocket.

The Chase Sapphire Preferred (CSP) is $95 a year, with a $50 hotel credit (if you book through their portal).

The main differences -- aside from the annual fee -- are that the Reserve gives 3x on travel while the Preferred gives 2x, and the Reserve lets you redeem towards travel at 1.5 cents per point while it's just 1.25 cents per point on the Preferred. However, if you're transferring to a partner airline/hotel, then there's no difference.

How are you looking to redeem the points?

If you want to use them as a cash towards travel (rather than transferring), I think you're better off with the US Bank Altitude Reserve. $400 annual fee, but $325 annual travel credit, and 3x points on travel and all mobile wallet transactions (think Apple Pay). You can redeem at 1.5 cents per point (CPP) towards travel.

CubicalSucrose posted:

Is there a good/better card for food/groceries than the AmEx Gold?

The Amex Gold is hard to beat, especially if you can leverage the monthly credits, but the other competitors in that space would probably the Cap1 Savor cards, the Citi Premier, and the Chase Air Canada card.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

saintonan posted:

CSR also has Global Entry/PreCheck reimbursement and lounge access that CSP does not. Always a good idea to work out all the benefits and see what matches your spending profile.

Right. The poster was asking about the possibility of having a card in addition to the Amex Platinum.

If you have the Amex Platinum, you'll get those benefits.

(Also, worth mentioning that Global Entry is only $100 for 5 years, so paying it outright is still far less than the difference between the CSP and CSR annual fees.)

saintonan posted:

The problem with USBank cards is that they don't have any transfer partners, so you're locked into their travel portal for redemptions. Since the major value of UR/MR is transferring directly to airlines (or Hyatt in the case of UR, the only hotel transfer partner I'd recommend), this is a pretty big deficiency.

Right.

If you're looking to just transfer points to partners, the CSP is basically just as good as the CSR, if you don't care about a few extra benefits.

If you're want to redeem as cash towards travel, the USBank card trumps both CSP and CSR.

If you're going to do a mix of both and plan to potentially redeem lots of points, then the math works out for the CSR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Shear Modulus posted:

You can transfer Citi points you get from other cards to the Rewards+ and redeem them with the 10% bonus

You just need to have the Rewards+. I pair it with a Custom Cash card and get effectively 5.55% cash back on gas with no annual fee.