Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I've had a Discover-It card for a bit over a year now, and it has worked out really well for me. As a student my starting limit was $500 but at the 1 year mark they bumped it up to $1000 automatically (bill paid in full monthly). I also referred someone to discover and got $50 bonus cash-back. With the cashback program I've been able to buy some textbooks directly from Amazon (you can set up the card to pull cashback rewards directly through Amazon). I've been very happy with the card as a first credit card, and getting free money out of the cash-back program for purchases I was going to make anyway is awesome (and I started to build credit, which before having the card I had no credit).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Not a Children posted:

Discover is a great card, but don't use the rewards directly for Amazon, since it's a 1:1 credit -- rather, apply the credit to your statement balance and use your card to make your purchases from Amazon, so you get the rewards on that, too!

I did not realize I could apply it directly to my statement. Awesome, thanks.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Is there any way to get credit card companies to stop sending me offers? I get like 5-10 a week.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

SiGmA_X posted:

I did that in 2010, and again in 2013. As soon a I started using credit in 2013, the offers started pouring in and haven't stopped since. I get 1+ a week from Cap1, Discover, etc.

I get like 3 from cap 1 a week, all of different card types, and then summer Amex thrown in for good measure

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Fluue posted:

Been thinking about getting another rewards card and need some pointers on which card to get: Sallie Mae or Discover It. I currently have a card with no rewards (was my first credit card) from BofA and a Chase Freedom card. I've been eyeing the Sallie Mae card because my grocery and gas spending adds up to ~$250 per month, so I'd be maximizing those rewards. The Discover It card seems pretty similar to Chase Freedom, and the main downside would be if the two cards have overlapping 5% categories. The Discover 'perks' seem nice, though (even if they are just fluff).

Anyone have opinions on either card?

I have the Sallie Mae and Discover IT. The 5% back for the SM also works at Amazon if you buy physical goods. Discover has been great, and if I've ever had an issue it gets resolved very quickly - and it's nice have someone answer the phone that speaks understandable English.

I think between the two it comes down to: would you rather always have 5% in a useful category or do you want to take a chance that not all the time it's that useful? Right now Discover is 5% restaurants, which to me isn't all that great.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Are you going to fly? If no, get quicksilver.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Any no fee chip and pin cards out there with no overseas charge? Doesn't have to be rewards card but that would be cool too.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Did not realize discover has chip cards note - I'll have to call them up and have them send a new one. Any idea on usability in Quebec fit discover?

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

No Butt Stuff posted:

I applied for the Citi Double Cash and didn't get instant approval, so now I'm nervous.

I mean, there's no reason for me to not get it, but man, I get flashbacks to when I didn't have good credit and applying for things and getting turned down. Which has completely soured me on ever using credit for anything except a home purchase again. I just want the cash back.

Happened to me when I applied to Sallie Mae card. They ended up approving it. If you have good credit I can't imagine they would deny you.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I'm looking to get a visa or MasterCard with a chip for going to Canada (currently have discover (poor acceptance) and Sallie Mae (no chip) cards. Discover if my current main card, Sallie Mae used for 5% cash back categories.

I've been looking at double cash or quicksilver cards - and I can't decide which. Quicksilver with no ftf would be nice, but on the other hand the extra .5% rewards of the double cash for general use may be good. I don't plan on spending a whole lot while in Canada, so the 3% ftf may be okay for the one trip I have planned to Canada.

2% cb/3% ftf or 1.5% cb/0% ftf

Anything else I should consider or that I have overlooked? I have gotten mail offers for each of the cards. Credit score around 720 and I've never missed a payment, only carried a balance once.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

No Butt Stuff posted:

Finally got my Citi Double Cash approval. The hold up was they asked for a paystub and were reading my work address off of it instead of my home address.

I quickly did the math and this should be about $400 back to me a year, which is okay. The big thing here is having the Mastercard instead of the Amex, so I can run all my money through it with the exception of my mortgage.

Yay not having to use a debit card for anything again.

Also, the price matching thingy seems pretty nice.

Mind if I ask what your credit score was when you applied? I've been thinking of getting this card to use for general purchases.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

No Butt Stuff posted:

Depends on what agency is asking. But pretty much between 720 and 750.

Awesome, thanks. I'm right in that range. I'll see if they want me.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

EAB posted:

So I'm 29 and never had a credit card in my life. My credit history is probably bad with a history of late payments on services, outstanding medical bills and other poo poo.

I was getting ready to get a secured card, but BoA just like instantly approved me for a Cash Rewards Platinum Plus. Spend 500 in the first 90 days and get 100 back, 1% cash back on all purchases, 2% on groceries, 3% on fuel, with a $1500 limit. Pretty happy with that for my first card.

they have rewards programs but the only one that interested me a lil was 10% cashback at zappos.

Pay off your balance monthly and don't buy something you don't have the money to back it up with already in the bank.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Applied and got approval for citi double cash with a 5k limit. That seems crazy to me - it more than doubled my credit limit across my other two cards.

Time to get marginally more cash back! Really I wanted an EMV card that wasn't discover to use in Canada - yea I know it has a ftf but I figure this one trip to Canada I'm going to use as an 'in case' and get some $CAN to use, and then I'll have a 2% cb card for things discover doesn't have on category and aren't on the 5% for Sallie Mae card.

The amount they gave me as a line of credit just seems astounding though. It's definitely going to make my utilization plummet. Would that drop my score significantly? (Not trying to game my score, just curious how it would impact it)

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Is there a point where too low of utilization will negatively impact score? My utilization is probably around 20% currently, and will drop to around 10% or so with the new card (no change in purchasing with card, just which card I will be using)

I thought you didn't want too high or too low of utilization.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Awesome, thanks!

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

EAB posted:

So this is my first credit card and all I've got is a "closing date"

Is this the date that I should be paying off my balance in full or is this like, the last day of the period before they send me my statement and due date or something. Kinda confused. I can't find a due date anywhere.

Way to stay on top of your card. Credit cards are a great tool, make sure you use it right and don't end up in debtors prison.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Got a new card, activated it and tried to use it and it tripped fraud. Now they won't reactivate unless I give them my case code, which they left as a voice mail on a phone number that isn't mine.

The other option is faxing ss card, license and a bill to them.

Who has fax machines?

edit: the phone number used to be a valid number, and still is, but is not mine

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

asur posted:

You should be able to mail them the documents. There are free fax websites, but I wouldn't send personal information over them. You could also try asking for a replacement card. Why did you give them an incorrect phone number?

I didn't. They got it from "public records". Apparently they think the opening of the account was unauthorized use of my credit.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I gave them my cellphone number, but they called my parents home number for the fraud alert, which I never listed on the app. I do not live with my parents. Big PITA.

edit: CitiBank card. I've never had this issue with any of my other cards. I got through to them and the fraud got tried because I tried to make an online purchase with a new card... Because why would you want to use a credit card you just got???????

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Boris Galerkin posted:

I completely dropped the ball and forgot I was going on vacation to Europe on the 15th. I was planning on just withdrawing cash at the ATMs for daily poo poo but I guess it wouldn't be bad to have a no foreign translation card. Is it possible to apply for one today and have the card delivered by the 14th I don't remember what the usual delivery times are. Also CK says my score is 756 so which card do I want? As far as I understand that shouldn't really restrict me from too much right.

e: it's looking like the chase sapphire preferred is what I want?

Capitol one quicksilver is a no fee 1.5% cash back with no ftf. You might be able to get rush processing. Should probably call them vs filling out an online app

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I see that the Sallie Mae Barclay card is no more. Will those of us that already have them be able to keep the 5% gas/grocery/bookstore benefit?

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I browse the discover deals before I buy anything online. A lot of the time there will be a 5% or 10% cash back for some major stores. Sometimes they have coupons - e.g. 50% off full priced items at Men's Warehouse if you use discover.

I haven't bought anything I would need price rewind for, but I've keept it in mind.

Also citi and discover report different credit agencies ratings, so it's cool to be able to see the difference there. Citi - at least the double cash - let's you look at upcoming performances and allegedly has cheaper/earlier tickets on sale for some things. I've looked at the offerings but haven't gotten any tickets

The Slack Lagoon fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Dec 29, 2015

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Tots posted:

I just realized that the cash back for groceries on my card ends in March 2016 and that is basically the only reason I got this card. When that date rolls around should I just cancel it and get a new 2% grocery card or keep it open?

Which card?

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

The strip on cards with chip+strip are the same strip on cards without a chip.

Your swipe transactions will be the same as if the card didn't have a chip.

Chip and sig is still even not so secure. Chip and pin is more ideal.

e: guess not!

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I got an amex platinum offer in the mail with the 100k/3k spend. I see a lot of talk about amex 100k signup - is that the one? It doesn't say anything about waiving the first year fee and it was like 295 or 495. Does that fee get waived?

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Do people close cards and reapply for them to get signing bonus, or is this talk about getting signing bonuses through some other method?

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Any information on what's up with the Sallie Mae Barclay's card? I only use it for the gas/groceries/Amazon but I saw it's not online anymore and would hate for it to go away.

I just a double cash for most other purchases and a discover for whatever is in its 5%.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

In the next few years I'll probably be doing a decent number of domestic flights. Mostly Georgia, Texas and New Mexico, maybe California. Is there a card/airline that would be good for those areas? I have 3 cash rewards cards right now (citi DoubleCash, Barclays Sallie Mae, Discover) bit I understand travel cards may yield higher rewards rates if used for travel.

It would be great to get some free flights, as the plane ticket cost is a major barrier to visiting family.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

If you're not looking for a travel card the citi double cash is 2% on everything, I've had it since October and it's been pretty good. Good customer service too

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

My local grocery store started carrying beer, wine and liquor (which is rare for MA). Now I can get 5% cash back on beer, wine and liquor. Sorry liver.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Just redeemed $250 in credit card rewards for purchases I made outside the budget. Nice to bank up some extra buying power for use on frivolous things (in this case gifts for a friend going overseas for a few years).

All money I got with zero interest paid via responsible credit card use!

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

If you want a simple no ftf card the CapOne Quicksilver is decent.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Signed up for a store credit card because it gives you free return shipping if you use their card...

No annual fee. How do people feel about store branded cards?

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

It's kind of funny y'all are taking about high interest because the interest on my double cash is like 26% and the interest on this one is 17. I was also happy to see the card is serviced by Barclays so I didn't need to make a new account and it automatically popped up with my other Barclay card.

Same story with all cards though, never carry a balance!

Only did that one, before I had an emergency fund, and the card was at 0% introductory rate.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

The thing I got didn't come back with a lower price :(

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Yes it is, for now! I'm going to be sad when they change the rewards

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I have a Citi double cash card and they keep sending me 0 bt offers. I don't have any balance to transfer so I can't really say more than that.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

Citi BTs are not free, they carry standard 3% fee. But yes they send a crapload of BT checks out, I guess they make a huge amount of money on those if they can afford millions of mailings every month.

Guess I never read it carefully. I even called them and told them to stop sending them to me. Get like 2/week. They stopped for a month and it's started again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Peace out Sallie Mae I guess double cash for everything.