Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Rip got the Sallie Mae end letter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Yea I think I'll just be using my double cash for everything. Does Barclays have a no fee 0 ftf I could convert this card to?

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Positive is lower utilisation, negative is ??? Unless you can't control spending and a higher limit would lead to more spending

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I have double cash and discover it. Hoping it will do well enough

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Bumped up my average age of accounts from 1.5 years to 3.5 years by adding myself as an authorized user to my wife's oldest cc. Credit score isn't a game but at least now I have a 0 ftf card with my name on it I can use overseas (Quicksilver)

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

THF13 posted:

Have you checked your credit report directly? I didn't think credit card companies still used the primary account holder's signup date for authorized users.
Amex used to do this, my credit history is actually older than I am because my dad added me as an authorized user to his ~30 year old account when I was in high school.

Ya I use the nerd wallet app to track it, and according to the report that pulls it shows there. Both of my cards I've added my wife to have also shown up on her credit report (former Sallie Mae and double cash)

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

ChikoDemono posted:

Welp, declined for a Chase Freedom card because I don't have recent credit history. I guess I should try out that Discover secured card, unless there's a card that would accept a 711 credit score with no history?

Was that online app only or did you call them? If you didn't call them then try that.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I have a Citi double cash card, and I recently joined Costco and got the Costco card. Does anyone know if I will be able to use the same Citi login as the double cash?

When i opened a second barclays card it popped up immediately. So far the Costco hasn't shown up in my Citi account.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Great, thanks!

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Quicksilver is nice for a decent bonus and no foreign transaction fee if you're going to be going over seas.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I have the Costco card, and purchase passes for local busses and subways. It doesn't appear that these are falling under the 'travel' section of the Costco card. Is there a list of what counts somewhere? It's potentially $12/mo in rewards, so not insignificant

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

It's crazy how much credit utilisation can effect credit score. I usually sit around 6-8% toward the end of the month, but I had some large expenses this month and it's at 10%. Acording to nerdwallet my score dropped 18 points, with everything else being the same.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Most of my spending is done on my double cash, or Costco card (gas 4%, restaurants 3%, travel 3%). I have a discover it that I use when the 5% category is something useful.

Thinking about opening the chase freedom to have another card with 5% rotating, and for the $150. Any harm in opening that and only using it when there is a compelling category? Might mean it's not used at all for a quarter or something.

Credit score about 780, not planning on getting a car loan or mortgage soon.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Got a mailer for a promotion the Barclays Commence is doing (its the re branded Sallie Mae card).

$10 bonus cash back each for October, November, and December if you spend $1,500 each month. $50 bonus on top of that if you hit $1,500 each month. They really want people to use their lovely card I guess.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Could be worth a product change from the lovely card Sallie Mae got turned into

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Lol my wife got a mailer for LUXURY BLACK CARD and it's trying so hard to sell the SODOSOPA lifestyle

And it's only a lovely 1.5% back

Lol holy poo poo $495 annual fee just to have their lovely card

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I have the Quicksilver it's good.

If you live in a market with Capitol One bank locations that have Pete's coffee shops in the bank, if you use a capital one card the drink is half priced.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

lol

Former Sallie Mae Barclay turned into Barclay Commence is already being changed to a different Barclays card.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Does Barclays have any non poo poo cards I could change my old Sallie Mae to something else? I just got an email that it is now an even new card but it is still poo poo for rewards.

I have a double cash for normal spending, Costco visa for gas/restaurants/travel expenses...

I pay Hulu on the Barclays card and that's it

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Barclays is poo poo

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Awesome LL Bean card is switching from Barclays to Citibank. I loving hate Barclays. I set up text alerts for purchases with Barclays and it doesnt text you until the transaction clears (after 2-3 days...)

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Is Citi price rewind only for online purchases or can I do a b&m purchase and match it to online?

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

astral posted:

The latter.

Cool follow up question - is the amount they pay you back from Citibank itself or do they force the vendor to give them back money

I don't want to dick over the small mom & pop store

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Awesome thanks

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I have a question about Rental Car Insurance provided by credit cards. Using the Citi Costco Card it says they pay up to $50,000 or the cost of the car, but we have to decline the rental companies insurance.

How does that all work? How does our car insurance play into the equation?

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Shear Modulus posted:

I got the Discover It via Leon Trotsky 2012's referral link and they gave me a card with a $2000 limit?? :psyduck: this is maybe the first time that a credit card company gave me a credit line that's not like almost half of my annual income.

discover must be the only company still operating on the decades-outdated "dont lend more than the borrower can reasonably repay" logic

I opened and LL Bean store credit card (my wife makes a lot of returns and it's free shipping on returns w the card or it was they changed it and now I don't know) and they gave me like 15000

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Discover was my first credit card I opened when I was in grad school with no job and a limit of $500. I think it's at $3500 now but I'm not sure I've done an increase request recently

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Weird question. I had a store brand card (LL Bean) that was serviced by Barclays. They changed it to Citi, and changed the rewards. The Barclays card dropped off my credit report, but the Citi card still hasn't shown up, and it's been 5 or 6 months.

How long should it take to appear? It's not a big issue, just weird.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Power of Pecota posted:

How often do you guys have anything eligible for the Citi price rewind? I just recently got my Doublecash and honestly didn't realize that was a feature.

I bought a bike rack at a local store for like 150 and Amazon had it for 120 and I submitted a price rewind and they gave it to me.

It was good because I needed the rack same day and the store couldn't price match because the Amazon price was below wholesale cost

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Costco card is 3% on travel 4% on gas :getin:

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Sirotan posted:

Only 4% back at Costco gas stations though, 1% everywhere else.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Fhqwhgads posted:

From what I'm reading, if I add an authorized user to my CC, and I have excellent credit (long credit history, no bad marks, high credit limits), I can help improve their credit score at no hit to my own (assuming they don't run up a huge bill and gently caress me over obviously). Does the opposite hold true, then? If after a time I remove them as an authorized user and they then lose that account, their credit will take the hit as if they closed an old CC line?

My wife added me as an AU for a 9 year old card and it bumped by score up, as at the time I had a very short credit history (less than 2 years). If you removed them it would probably drop off their report. Keep in mind some servicers don't report on credit report for AUs.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Furia posted:

Is it true that getting a phone contract (either sim only of device included) is good for credit history?

I've never seen a cell plan show up anywhere on my credit history and I've have a few different carriers.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Has anyone gotten a double cash recently? Mine is expiring soon and I'm wondering if the replacement they will send will have the NFC chip for contactless payment. I find myself using the Quicksilver sometimes since it has the NFC and the double cash doesn't. Missing out on that sweet sweet 0.5% cashback

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

astral posted:

Sounds like Citibank is now offering contactless versions of cards other than the Costco card. Just request a replacement for a 'damaged' card online - they'll even express it for free - and it'll be contactless by default.

I just got replacement DoubleCash cards in the mail because the card is expiring at the end of September, and I'm sad to see they aren't contactless.

e: Sometimes I end up using Capitol One Quicksilver and get less in rewards just because it has contactless

The Slack Lagoon fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Aug 30, 2019

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Called Citi and they are sending replacement cards that will be contactless FedEx express. Noice.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Got an email saying the Double Cash can now convert to Thank You points. Any way to turn those points into something more valuable that the cashback value?

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Magic City Monday posted:

So what would be the next best no-fee all rounder? Capital One Quicksilver? (Double Cash is no good because I need no foreign transaction fees).

I use a double cash in the states and Quicksilver abroad

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Josh Lyman posted:

and the rewards only come once/year in the form of Costco cash.

You cash the certificate in for actual cash at the membership desk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Josh Lyman posted:

FYI 4% on gas is only the first year. After that it’s 1%.

On year 3 of the Costco CC and gas is still 4%