Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
Just got my Amex Gold for the 50k bonus. Does buying Amazon Gift Cards via MileagePlusX still work for the $100 yearly airline fee credit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

It's me, after four years of sign-up bonuses I finally did it-- forgot to pay a cc bill. Luckily Citi was forgiving and waived the interest fees and late penalty.

Edit: God drat, didn't know Barclay Arrival+ went to a $100 minimum redemption.

Blinkman987 fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Dec 7, 2016

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

I don't qualify for the CSR sign up bonus, but I guess at this point I should move my CSP to a CSR just to double-dip on the $300 annual credit.

Blinkman987 fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Jan 11, 2017

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

EugeneJ posted:

I'd like it better if the Prime card had a $95 annual fee but you got Amazon Prime for free every year when you renew

Chase would have to pick up most of the bill on that one and I doubt it's worth it for them.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

I guess I've churned too hard-- Cap One won't let me apply for the Venture (cancelled it 10 months ago) and couldn't get the Merrill Lynch BoA card for whatever reason. I picked up the Discover card for the 5% + double year bonus last night, and I'm not really eligible for any of the best cards until I can do the Citi Hilton Reserve in July. Bonuses of $200-$250 just aren't exciting enough. Any recommendations?

Current cards:
CSP (calling in to change this to a CSR soon)
Chase Freedom
Chase United MP Explorer
US Bank REI
US Bank Gold Amex FlexPerks
Barclay Arrival+
Citi Hilton Visa Signature
Amex Blue Cash Preferred
Amex PRG
Capital One Venture One
BoA MLB Card (x2)
Crate and Barrel

Cards waiting to be able to quality for sign-up bonus again:
Citi AA Plat
Citi Hilton Reserve
Chase Southwest Premier (end of this year)
Chase Southwest Plus (end of this year)

Amex cards I've already done:
Gold / Plat Skymiles
SPG

Edit: I got the ML BoA card. I read about how people got rejected (or maybe it was told "no decision") for the Merrill Lynch card but then would find it on their account. I applied, got rejected, and checked my BoA account and didn't see it. Logged in today and there it was. So, this should last me until about March/April and then I'll have to find a card for May/June.

Blinkman987 fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Jan 28, 2017

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

asur posted:

There's a Citi AA Plat application without the 24 month restriction floating around. You also have none of the Amex Plats and business cards in your list.

I'll look around for that AA Plat app in April. Thanks.

Yeah, I've missed the few times there was a 100K Plat offer and I'm not sure how to sign up for business cards since I don't have a small business. I started looking into that and then bounced once I saw that I got the Merrill Lynch card. I'll probably have to start signing up for business cards that this fall while I wait for the Southwest cards to pop so I can get a 2018/2019 companion pass.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

I got a targeted United MP Explorer 70K sign up bonus offer... and then I saw the name on the mailer was that of the previous tenant :(

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

I've been looking at the SPG Business Amex since that card is likely going away. I've never done a business card app before. How loose is Amex with those sort of apps? I'll be applying with what I assume is $0 revenue and my own income.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Can confirm I used the United gift registry to get reimbursed for a $100 charge on my gold card in February.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

I got my Citi AA card offer that didn't have the two year language and I'm currently running through that. I'm looking at making about a $4K purchase online next week. I would've done the SPG business 35K point offer (because Amex is so generous with what qualifies as a business) but that ended on the 5th of April. Are there any other good sign-ups? I'm far past the 5/24. I've recently wrapped up the BoA Merrill card and HIlton Signature.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Amex Hilton Surpass 100K offer expires tomorrow 5/31.

https://card.americanexpress.com/su...v4vBhoCW__w_wcB

(Not a referral link)

The one important thing to note is that you get automatic gold status and it's only a $75 annual fee. Plus, you get one free weekend night after your first year and paying the subsequent annual fee. Because you get free breakfast for you and a guest with Gold at the vast majority of properties (Waldorf Astoria the notable exception), it's really worth it.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

DeceasedHorse posted:

What are your thoughts Amon the value of the points themselves? I haven't been too impressed by the huge amount of points needed for a stay, but I could be missing some sweet spots

Yeah, as mentioned the points don't have a great value but 100K is a lot of them. It's a card designed to be good only for existing Hilton customers, but the annual fee is so low that it's a good value no matter what.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

I fell under 5/24 so I had to upgrade my CSP to a CSR. My card anniversary was in February, but they only charged me the $450 as of July. I thought about cancelling it, but between the trip insurance that I regularly use and that I think I still fall under the old rules and get the $300 credit on the calendar year, I'm not cancelling but will definitely cancel the following year or at least downgrade to the CSP again. Pushing almost all my spend through new cards for bonuses, it's hard to justify the annual fee.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

astral posted:

e: oh I should mention one of the best citi IT stories which, as far as I know, still holds true: say you have a credit card account, and you later decide to get a citi checking for a while and link it to the same account. if you close the citi checking, it closes your online account because why would you want to access your other citi products, right?

This happened to me 3 months ago.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Everybody who lives in CA and doesn't get hosed by the Chase 5/24 rule can get a companion pass

https://thepointsguy.com/2017/10/sw-companion-pass-offer-all-california-residents/

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Edit: Nevermind

Blinkman987 fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Oct 26, 2017

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Currently have ~800 rating, 12 accounts open. Is that too many or something? I currently can't get approved for a card to save my life. I'm told I recently opened too many cards, but my card cadence hasn't really changed-- a new one every 2-3 months. Tried the new BoA travel cards and a Barclay Arrival+, neither very tough cards to get approved for.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Interesting. With the companies all locking down their cards, either I'll have to figure out how to open exclusively business cards or maybe even wait 24 months to completely reset my card counters.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

I don't get the Priority Pass thing--- are their lounges noticeably higher quality than the other airline lounges? I guess domestic ones tend to be so lovely that it's not hard to beat. I haven't paid for an airline lounge for a long time, so is like $25 or w/e PP charges that much cheaper than an airline lounge?

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Ah, thanks for the explanation. I was confused because my Hilton Surpass Amex comes with the standard membership, and I didn't know the Reserve has unlimited entries membership.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

The data Uber's getting must have an incredible value attached to it, like filling in a bunch of blanks and connecting otherwise lost pieces into their individual profiles. Because that card is loving nuts. The phone insurance even covers theft. I'm still keeping my CSR because I've used the Trip Interruption insurance before and it's great peace of mind, but I could theoretically cancel it and still be fine with just the Uber card.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Barclays is pretty poo poo imo.

My Uber card was eaten by a parking gate machine, so I got a replacement card. It would occasionally be unreadable and I finally got around to getting it replaced and asked for expedited shipping on the house. I certainly spend enough on it per month. Their "investigations" team looked and could only see one time that my charge was rejected, which basically means their method of checking these things can't actually log poo poo and they're wrong. Amex would send me expedited cards without my asking, and that is with my spend on Amex much lower than my Uber spend.

Oh, and the app doesn't work in random places. Click "report lost card" and it'll try to dial both domestic and international phone numbers together as one long string.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I love the Uber Visa card, the phone insurance has come in handy.

Last night my iPhone screen and phone back shattered and I got a crack in the LCD itself, so I'm going to make my first claim this week. It's probably super suspicious that it happened so close to new phones being announced, but it really did happen!

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

I just downgraded to the CSP since the $90 or w/e a year for the trip delay and interruption insurance is worth it for me, and I don't really need anything else that the CSR offers since nearly everything else goes through my Uber card. Having a strict 2% back card would be good for in-person purchases that aren't covered by freedom or Discover bonus quarters, but I'm about 9 months from my last card sign-up so I'm going to try to grind out 2 years so I can start all over again.

Non sequitur, but I totally support the Priority Pass change with the CSR. Holy poo poo, I literally failed to get into a single Priority Pass lounge for my year and a half with the card. It was always loving full.

Blinkman987 fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Aug 15, 2018

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Barclays isn’t Citibank levels of clownshoes, but they are kinda bumbling so yeah sometimes things take a while (mailings) or don’t quite work how they should (app).

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

VorpalBunny posted:

I find the potential value of the travel insurance on CSR to be worth the annual fee. I am currently dealing with a $600 charge for damage to a rental car, and I'm dealing with CSR who hopefully will cover it. It's a fairly straightforward case, I imagine they keep coming back to me for more documentation to try to weasel out of it. This annoyance aside, I figure the travel protections are worth the annual fee, plus the $300 travel credit.

But all my other annual fee cards get downgraded to the lower no-fee tier. I may keep my premium Venture card as I seem to be staying at many off-brand hotels booked via hotels.com so 10% off (aka 10x points) is very appealing.

The handful of times I had to deal with Chase Sapphire over issues like getting a refund over a new canopy destroyed by wind or an unscheduled overnight in Las Vegas, they were pretty reasonable about it and never screwed me. Good luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

I can’t ever get that Plat promo but I’ve also been an Amex cardholder for a decade so it’s not like I qualify for any winback campaigns.

For those who can’t get it, Arrival+ has 70K points and AF waived for a $5k spend.