Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Bragon posted:

QS is running a $100 bonus, as is BOA. Barclays Arrival is running $200 and gives 2x points to the BOA's 1.5x, even considering 10% from a BOA account. And as mentioned to me above, try signing up for an Arrival+ for a $400 bonus and downgrade it at the end of the first free year.

Arrival isn't EMV, only the +. Yes, you should get the card if you're going to have enough travel spend to get the bonus, but the BOA card is a good one to hold 'forever', IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

The Rev posted:

A couple of questions on the Discover IT Card - I feel like the promo they are running right now is too good to turn down, especially since I will have several large purchases in the next year. All of which I can wait until the appropriate 5% category is up.

1. For those who have it, I assume it's a legit good card to have with nice customer service/support/etc?
2. My understanding is on the 13th billing cycle it will take my total cashback from the 12 previous cycles (say $250) and instantly credit me with $250 more, right?
3. I see on their site you can get an NHL logo on the card which is nifty as I am an avid hockey fan. Will choosing an NHL logo gently caress me up in anyway with any of the rewards/bonuses/referrals?

Cons: This would be my 4th card, but I'd really only like to keep 3 active. Ideally I would like to phase out my Amazon Rewards Visa. I also have an Amex Blue Cash Everyday and Sallie Mae MasterCard active at the moment and plan to keep those. The Amazon Visa just so happens to be my oldest card, 2 years older than my next oldest. Should I opt to just let the Visa stay active and rot in a drawer, or can I safely cancel it without too much repercussion to my credit?

Thanks Goons

yes, yes, no

Who cares? Have as many cards open as you want. It's not going to hurt anything. Leave them all open if you only have 4 revolvers, you could use the help to build your average age of accounts (as opening a new card is going to drop it by a third immediately at the moment.)

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Desuwa posted:

I have not tried it but BoA does claim to offer chip and PIN cards and should issue PINs on request. https://www.bankofamerica.com/privacy/faq/emv-chip-card-faq.go
BoA is online PIN, which isn't helpful for the places where people want chip and PIN cards (gas stations in france!!!!!!!!!11111).

There is no no-AF, no-FTF, chip & offline PIN card in existence as far as the Internet knows.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

lampey posted:

Most credit cards from Penfed. https://www.penfed.org/credit-card-overview/
They do chip+pin and chip+signature. The cards with good points have relatively high credit requirements but the other cards still have no ftf or annual fee.

Penfed has membership restrictions, so they don't count in my book. Although it looks like they've gone the LMCU route of offering a "pay a bribe to some random charity and we'll let you in" option, so that's good to know. (The fee is $14/$15 depending on which organization you want to join.)

They do appear to be offline PIN backup cards though (so signature first, PIN if the signature isn't accepted).

Here is a list of known No-AF, no-FTF, offline-PIN cards: https://www.spotterswiki.com/emv/cardsearch.php?feature%5B%5D=af&feature%5B%5D=ftf&feature%5B%5D=offline_pin&type%5B%5D=credit

Note that they're all credit unions with membership restrictions, though some of those are apparently gameable.

Bisty Q. fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jul 5, 2015

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

triple sulk posted:

Is the Amex PR Gold good again after the improvements they made? I have an EveryDay card and kind of fell off being interested in using them as it seemed like their MR points weren't super useful, but I'm most interested in being able to transfer MR points to Avios ones and it seems like they do that. They boosted the AF to $195 from $175, but also added a $100 airline credit and 2x points for restaurants. No FTF now, too.

No, it isn't, unless you buy a shitload of airfare (3X MR). Also, they're nerfing the avios conversion and making it 5:4 instead of 1:1 later this year.

quote:

I still have to look more closely, but it seems like Visa Signature and MasterCard World Elite benefits are pretty similar overall?
They're almost carbon copies of each other, yes.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

THF13 posted:

It does not tell the credit bureaus if you pay it off in full every month, only pay the minimum, or intentionally leave a few dollars on it.
Experian does indeed collect this data from some creditors. It isn't used in any of the scoring models AFAIK but some bureaus have it.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Cacafuego posted:

When the Amex SPG offer went up to 30,000, a couple weeks ago, I applied for it and the PRG at the same time. I have yet to get the SPG card, but the PRG is backdated to 2012. I thought Amex stopped doing that earlier this year?

The member since date on the card is backdated but the date they report to the credit bureau is no longer backdated and will accurately reflect when you opened the card.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008
Air cards for revenue-based programs (that don't have gigantic bonuses) are generally a bad idea.

Hell, even 20k TB points isn't really worth a hard pull, IMO.

As an example, I found a few heavily-restricted flights that are 12K points or $164 each way. 1.4cpp. Mint was $1099 or 120500 pts; 0.88cpp. But I did find $829 or 63100 pts for a different mint flight, 1.3cpp again. So...

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008
Heads up, the American Express Platinum Card 100,000 MR points offer for $3K in spending is available to everyone for some period of time. This is considered one of the best credit card offers, period, and is generally only available to people magically picked by the Amex fairy.

Open an incognito window and go to https://www.americanexpress.com/us/credit-cards/platinum/. If you don't see the "Special Offer for You" for 100K, close the incognito window (this part is important) and try again.

If you have ever held an Amex Platinum card, you are not eligible for the bonus. The annual fee ($450) is not waived. You are getting at least $1000 worth of points (and potentially much much much more if you transfer them to a partner for travel) for $450, plus some lounge access, free Global Entry or TSA Precheck enrollment, $200 in airline fee credit in 2015 and another $200 in 2016, AND the 100K MR points for your fee.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

triple sulk posted:

The latter. You will get mail/an email saying when your statement balance is due.

Just for more info, if you're talking about an Amex charge card (which I'm guessing you are?) there will be a "Please Pay By" date on your statement, but this date is not binding, you actually have until the next statement close date (which will also be printed on it) to make your payment. However, your payment has to be processed by the close date, so if you're still mailing checks for some reason, you'll want to put them in the mail by the please pay by date.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

becoming posted:

Closing the Quicksilver and the Bank Americard will negatively impact your credit score. Your AAoA will be under two years and your FICOs will take a poo poo. Keep those open by charging something to them every so often. A good idea is to put, say, Netflix on one and Spotify on the other. Set them up to pay automatically and you're done. I know you're not planning on getting a mortgage or car loan in the next few years, but closing your oldest accounts will take your oldest account from ten years to five. Lenders actually look at that. Keep those two open.

average age of account includes closed accounts, so all of this is wrong

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Barry posted:

It's possible the Amazon GC via the MPX app might be done for. I bought a $200 GC via that method the day the 100k Platinum offer became available and still no credit. Which isn't the end of the world to have $200 of Amazon credit. Just means I'll be making my way through $200 of booze on United flights. How will I ever manage.

All auto-credits through Amex seem to not be posting, not just travel incidentals. I wouldn't call it dead yet.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Boris Galerkin posted:

I completely dropped the ball and forgot I was going on vacation to Europe on the 15th. I was planning on just withdrawing cash at the ATMs for daily poo poo but I guess it wouldn't be bad to have a no foreign translation card. Is it possible to apply for one today and have the card delivered by the 14th I don't remember what the usual delivery times are. Also CK says my score is 756 so which card do I want? As far as I understand that shouldn't really restrict me from too much right.

e: it's looking like the chase sapphire preferred is what I want?

If you're going to meet the minimum spend for the bonus, go for it. Just don't forget to cancel before the annual fee hits next year.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Blinkman987 posted:

If you have a Chase checking account, they can issue you a chipped debit card in-branch.

It won't help in the situations he was talking about because it's Online PIN only and to be 100% safe you need a card with Offline PIN support.

That said, the odds are super small that it will mater. Almost every terminal properly takes American style cards at this point. It can suck to find one that doesn't but unless you're driving it seems like most people that have travelled recently never see one.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

triple sulk posted:

Normally it is but I'd say that the Discover It is much better right now due to the cash back at the end of 12 months, the rotating categories, and the 10% cash back for Apple Pay in-store through the end of the year.

I kinda gave in and I'm going to see if I like the Prestige card (worst case I get two $250 calendar credits I'd 100% definitely use and then cancel it a few months down the line). I've yet to really get a feel for how good Citi's customer service is but I suppose I'll find out. I just fear their points program and redemptions won't be anywhere near as nice as Amex's.

Thank You Points are pretty good as far as transferable points go.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

ilkhan posted:

Are the Citi easy deals points worth anything? They seem like the worst possible rewards system.

Easy Deals points are completely worthless.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Richard M Nixon posted:

Twice in the last few months I had credit limits raised on two different cards without me requesting it. I'm talking about a $6k raise on one and $4k on another. As far as I can tell, there's no downside to this, right? They're just trying to entice me to spend more and actually helping my utilization % go down, yeah?

Yeah.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I'm not really one for churning, however summer tuition is unique and can be paid with a credit card. Any exciting intro promos I should jump on for an expected purchase of ~$3000 or should I just collect my 2% from Citi? Mostly just looking for cash back instead of miles or hotel points, so I guess I'm looking for anyone doing like a 5% cash back intro promo.

Chase Sapphire Preferred, $500 off $4,000. (Or $625 if you buy airfare/hotels through their travel portal with the points). https://www.chase.com/online/sapphire/sapphire.html

Other choice: Barclay Arrival+, $400 off $3,000 - however, you'll need to find a $400 travel purchase to redeem against to get that value. http://www.findmybarclaycard.com/barclaycard-credit-cards/arrival-plus

Both have annual fees of around $100, but waived the first year.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Almost none of the cards with good bonuses are worth using long term. I think most travel blogs promote CSP because lots of people have freedom cards, the points are really flexible, and it's pretty easy to get.

CSP also has "travel delay protection" which is pretty great; if you have to swing an overnight delay, they will pay (up to $500) for your hotel and food and stuff, if you bought the plane ticket (or any part of it) on the CSP.

If you use that once, it more than pays for the AF. However, there otherwise isn't much reason to keep the CSP other than being able to transfer points from the Freedom.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Thanks! I think I'll give this one a shot. I believe it's one of the more difficult to qualify for, but I'm hoping I'll be okay. I'm not sure if it'll be worth keeping afterward since I don't travel much (at least not while I'm finishing up school) but who knows what a year from now will bring!

Going to read up on it a bit more on NerdWallet since I've never really done points cards, just cash back (Citi DoubleCash, AmEx BCP, and a Wells Fargo 1% that I keep because it's my oldest account)

Edit: I've read here and in other threads that high limits might be bad for churning, resulting in maybe having to call the reconsideration line if they think you have too much credit already. Is this true if it's through other banks or just banks you already have cards with? I've heard of having to call to do something like lower the limit on an existing Chase card in order to qualify for a new one. I have no cards with them but about ~$100k in combined limits from my other 3 cards.

As long as you haven't opened more than 5 cards in the past 2 years and your credit is otherwise good, you should be able to get the CSP.

The high limits thing is on a per-bank basis. Most banks operate in that they have an internal total credit limit they're willing to give you, and if you have enough cards to hit or exceed that limit, you won't be automatically approved for a new card. Not being auto approved is bad news for a churner, so that's why there's so much talk of micro-ing it.

If your utilization is high (above 30%) on your other cards, then that might be a slight issue, but I doubt a student's got $30K of credit card debt and if you do please for the love of God don't get into any more for $500.

Finally, Ultimate Rewards points (the ones the CSP gives you) can be cashed out for statement credits at 1 cent per point, so you can pretend like it just earns 1% cashback and that you'll get $500 after hitting minimum spend if you don't want to learn about UR.

You should also try adding an authorized user in the application (you just get an extra card which you can throw away or whatever), because that used to give you an extra 5K points/$50.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Am I able to remove them afterward? What are the conditions for adding someone? I don't think I have anyone I trust enough for that. :(
You can literally give one to your cat if you want, the form just asks for their name (at least it did when I applied). You get the other card at the same time as yours, and it has the same account number as yours. I put down my middle name for the AU card then threw it away, just to get the extra $50.

I don't see any reference to the 5000 point AU bonus on their website, though, so it might not still be running anymore and the whole thing is moot :(

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Derp, it isn't on the application page or anywhere in that flow, but I didn't go back to that page.

So, yeah, definitely add the AU and get rid of the card. $50 is $50.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Busy Bee posted:

With SPG rooms going from anywhere between 7k - 30k points, what is the big deal about the 35k offer?

Seems like you can also transfer those points to airlines but United is a 2 to 1 transfer policy.

20000 SPG points = 25000 airline points, so if you spend a little over the minimum, you'll get 50K airline miles out of it (except on United)

People have hardons for SPG points because they transfer to a ton of different partners, but otherwise they're not anything amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

khysanth posted:

The Barclaycard SallieMae gets 5% back on gas year round:

http://credit-cards.credio.com/l/310/Barclaycard-Sallie-Mae
Sallie Mae is dead.