Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

I'm a recent grad with almost no credit who got approved for a Citi double rewards card that I've been using for all of my expenses for the past 2 months. The card limit is very low so I end up hitting 80% or more each month. I tried to get the limit increased but they told me I had to hold the card for a minimum of 6 months before any increase would be approved. Anything I should know to avoid tanking my credit score?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

I've been using the Citi Doublecash as my only credit card for over a year now but I have a couple large purchases coming up in the near future and think it would be a good time to expand into a travel card. From reading around a bit it seems like the Chase Sapphire Preferred would be good if I can hit the sign up bonus (plus it looks soooo sexy) but I've also read some things about how it works best with a Freedom card (or freedom unlimited)? Is that true or is it fine to use the CSP alone as a main card? Should I get two? Or three? Hard not to fall down the rabbit hole

Virtue fucked around with this message at 07:32 on May 22, 2016

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

pig slut lisa posted:

The CSP is likely (but not definitely!) a good first travel rewards card for you to branch out into, and the Freedom would be a good card to pair it with if you want to get a second (not so sure about the Freedom Unlimited, personally...maybe someone else here is?).

Here are some reasons to get the CSP+Freedom:
  • Applying for, meeting the minimum spend on, and adding an authorized user to both cards will net you 50K+5K+4K+15K+2.5K+.5K=77K UR points, which you can do a lot with
  • You have a specific, large scale redemption that you know you want to spend those points on
  • You don't have a specific, large scale redemption in mind, but you know that some of the point transfer partners work really well for you (e.g. you want to take a lot of domestic flights on United)
  • You value the best-in-class trip protection that comes for any travel booked with the CSP
  • You're going to be diligent about registering your Freedom for the quarterly 5% category bonuses
  • Chase has been tightening up on card approvals, often shutting out people who have applied for 5+ cards in the past 24 months, so it's better to get these sooner rather than later

Here are some reasons to maybe not get these cards, at least right now:
  • You're planning on mainly using your UR points to transfer to British Airways Avios or Southwest Rapid Rewards. If you know this is how you want to redeem points, you may want to apply for Chase's BA or Southwest cards
  • You want to fly Delta a bunch. You should instead be exploring Amex cards.
  • If you're only planning on applying for a couple cards right now, you'll still have a cushion within the Chase 5/24 rule

If you want to post a little more info about what your travel goals are, we can help you decide for certain whether this is the best option for you.

I travel US domestic for work ~1-2 times a year so being able to use points to upgrade to first for some of the longer flights would be nice. I also try to travel internationally for vacation once every year or two, primarily to Asia but I'd like to hit Europe eventually. In the past I've used mostly Delta and United with no real preference either way so I wouldn't lose any sleep if I had to stop using Delta/British Airways/Southwest. Googled the 5/24 rule and don't think it will be a problem since I'm only looking at 2 or 3 chase cards right now (CSP, Freedom, Freedom Unlimited). Remembering to check up on the quarterly 5% category bonus is doable -- it will probably just go on my calendar.

Virtue fucked around with this message at 14:38 on May 22, 2016

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Cacafuego posted:

You want to use personal miles that you can (and should) use for vacation to upgrade your domestic work flights?

If I have enough miles yeah. Wouldn't be my first choice though

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Puppy Galaxy posted:

Got an email from Capital One, apparently someone tried to use my card to donate $3865.60 to United Way and $2000 to the Red Cross. No other fraudulent activity occurred.

Everything's all set on my end (card cancelled, no charges) but I'm wondering what the heck happened? I thought thieves would try and make small purchases to test the card and then rack up big charges? Why the hell did someone try and donate 6 grand of my money to charity?

Robin Hood is real

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

The CSP is really sexy.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

gregday posted:

I don't want it to matter to me that it's made of metal and doesn't have the number on the front, but dammit, it does matter.

It's going to hurt to switch to the freedom once I hit the sign on bonus. I'll probably keep using it even though it's not as good for rewards because I'm dumb

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

gregday posted:

There are rumors that next month Chase is launching some sort of "Chase Sapphire Elite" (or possibly Sapphire Reserve) card with a $300-400 AF and benefits to compete with the Amex Platinum and it's ilk.

Is it sexier than the csp

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

But is it as sexy as the CSP?

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

ilkhan posted:

When I used my CSP for 3 months to meet the min spend I was amazed at how many comments it got. Like, really? Its still just a CC.

Nice cc = rich = a cool dude

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

I guess I'm in the lucky boat with large work related expenses at predictable intervals that I get reimbursed for.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

gregday posted:

Word is the CSR is a heavier, more clangy metal like the Ritz Carlton card and not like the CSP, for people who care about such things.

oh god it's me, i care about this stupid detail

I don't spend nearly enough to warrant this AF over the CSP but I'm a big baby and will end up getting one anyway.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

The youtube videos I've watched suggest that the CSR is the same metal as the CSP so no incentive to upgrade there but that 100k sign up bonus is too good to pass up. Won't be applying until the end of the year though so crossing my fingers that they don't pull the bonus before then.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Pryor on Fire posted:

Well, just experienced a retailer orgasm for the first time when I handed a clerk the CSR. I could get used to this, giving people orgasms loving owns.

I thought it was the same as the csp. Is that not true?

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Hot Dog Day 42069 posted:

First time for everything, I guess.

drat

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Hot Dog Day 42069 posted:

Chase Freedom's holiday quarter 5% isn't Amazon this year. It's department stores. :(

I guess that's okay since I'll probably still be working on that CSR minimum spend but I was hoping for a repeat of Amazon.

Makes me want an amazon card but I'm right under the 5/24 and I have a butt load of business trips next year. Gonna hold out for that CSR if the bonus isn't pulled before then

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Looks like I won't be getting much mileage out of the freedom this holiday season. Unless maybe present shopping?

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

wyoak posted:

Also, depositing lots of smallish money orders is a pretty good way to freak out your bank (and potentially get the attention of the IRS).

This reminds me of the time my bank account got frozen because of diablo 3 ah transactions

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Krunge posted:

Rather than maximizing my cash back, I'm hoping to get approved for the highest limit possible that I can get with a 700 credit score and a graduate student (re: basically no) income. Graduation is coming in 7 months I'm expecting to need to live off credit for up to 2 months afterward while I find a job, if I am not so blessed as to have one lined up before graduation. How much could I get and where should I look? I have pre-approvals for $1,500 limits coming through the mail, but that's not enough and I'd prefer not to apply to multiple cards (I like to keep my credit card management minimal).

This sounds like a terrible idea

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Sits on Pilster posted:

I'm having a bit of a difficult time deciding on a card. Current options being considered are the:

- Citi Double Cash
- AmEx Blue Cash Preferred
- AmEx Premier Rewards Gold

Basic monthly spending on credit cards categorized into typical rewards categories as follows:

Groceries: $400/mo
Gas: $100/mo
All other: $1500/mo

In addition, I have budgeted $6000/year for air travel and need to book $1000-1500 in tickets ASAP. This will most likely all be on American as they are based out of where I live.

Also, due to a recent move and the associated one-time expenses like furniture, etc., in the next 6 months I expect to spend as follows:

Furniture: $3000
Misc. Amazon: $3000

Am leaning toward the Blue Cash Preferred card due to (1) 6% back on groceries, and (2) the $450 initial bonus that, due to my expected outlay at Amazon.com, I'd likely be able to take advantage of in full. One nagging thought is that I should be looking at more travel focused cards, considering my annual outlay on airline tickets. Confirm/deny?

Why not more than one card? You have a ton of spending so you shouldn't have a problem hitting the sign up bonuses

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

They are still posting $5 billion in quarterly profit and Dimon says that the loss is a great thing because it means so many people signed up. If only 20% of those people keep their cards for more than a year, then they will come out ahead.

If everyone dumps it before the next annual fee is due, then they might get gun shy about huge signup bonuses on future cards.

Alright yall I'm signing up in March so hold out until then

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

THF13 posted:

Chase Sapphire Reserve signup bonus is being reduced from 100k down to 50k as of January 12th, though the offer will apparently still be available if you apply inside a branch until March 12th.

Ooh that sucks. My travel might fall outside of that window. I guess I could take a chance and apply for it anyway.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Insane Totoro posted:

Girls love it

I like to tell myself this is true but really I just love how cool it is

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

The annual fee for my CSP is coming up and I haven't used the card in months between my CSR, freedom, and double cash.

Should I look to cancel or downgrade to either a freedom unlimited or no fee sapphire? My first thought was freedom unlimited but then I wouldn't be able to churn that card in the future for the bonus right

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

pig slut lisa posted:

What are you planning to do with your CSR when that annual fee hits? You need to have either a CSP or a CSR in order to be able to transfer your URs to travel partners.

Downgrading to either a Freedom or a Freedom Unlimited shouldn't impact your ability to get a bonus because Chase awards those on the basis of your last receipt of a bonus for that product. Citi is the one that ties the bonus to how recently you've opened or closed the product, and Amex ties the bonus to whether or not you've ever had the product.

I'm keeping the CSR for the long haul (unless something better pops up). Plan to continue churning Chase UR points

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Does CC autopay in full do the last statement balance or the total balance as of the payment date? Like if I made a purchase that cleared January 2nd, would it be included in the autopay on January 3rd?

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Russian Bear posted:

If you value UR points, the FU earns 2.25% once you transfer to the CSR. If you max out the 5% categories, you can PC the CSP into another Freedom. Or just cancel and apply again once you're 24 months past the bonus.

Hmm maybe this should replace my doublecash then

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Cacafuego posted:

How does the rental car insurance payout work with the Chase sapphire preferred card? I was under the assumption that chase card services would pay the cost of the deductible and my primary insurance would pay everything else?

I had a small accident in a rental car a couple months ago. Shortly after, I notified my insurance (USAA) and chase since I used the CSP to pay for it.

I submitted my claim a couple months ago and recently I was notified that chase card services paid the "auto damage collision waiver" or something like that for a total of ~$1600. I asked hertz if that was a full payoff and they said that there's still a balance of ~$367. My USAA insurance deductible is $250. If the remaining balance is only $367, I'll just pay it, but will my insurance rate increase if they don't pay anything? Why is there $367 left over?

I can ask hertz of course, but I want to know what I'm talking about when I ask.

Edit: rewriting because this was phone posting gibberish

Was there a liability issue or just damage to the car?

Don't have the language in front of me but personally I wouldn't file a claim over 400 bucks if you have a clean record otherwise. The accident free discount is probably larger than that.

Virtue fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Aug 31, 2017

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Whoops I forgot to do the math and figure out if the csr is worth keeping. I do travel at least once a year and sometimes twice so I took it for granted that it was worth the fee. Haven't spent my chase balance yet anyway so I'm in for at least another year

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Maybe I should r[place my csr with the Uber card. I still have a ton of chase ur points though

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Insane Totoro posted:

Well is it a sweet metal card?

Asking the important questions.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

OnceIWasAnOstrich posted:

Say I charge $10,000 of airline flights per month on average on a card with no guarantee on any particular airline. Are there any cards that are going to be more efficient than the Sapphire Reserve?

Open a card with every airline for free upgrades all day erryday?

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

astral posted:

Just a reminder that you can register your Chase Sapphire Reserve Priority Pass to get the digital membership card now. If you already had a priority pass account, you're still forced to make a new one because technology is difficult for them.

Link: https://www.prioritypass.com/chasedmc

Oh hey this is cool. Gonna give it a try tomorrow. I registered for the card but managed to forget it every time I flew since.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Speaking of Barclays, anyone having experience using Apple Financing with the Barclaycard Visa? Planning to gift someone a macbook this Christmas and I could pay it lump sum but the 0% interest caught my eye. If I'm understanding it right though it's basically a credit card that only works at apple so it would affect my credit like any other card? Might as well use another cashback card unless I'm missing something.

Virtue fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Dec 8, 2017

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

astral posted:

You can have more than one Chase Freedom through a product change, though, which is useful when you're already maxing out the 5% categories in a single month. Or are you saying you already have 3+ regular Freedom cards?

This is useful to know.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Small White Dragon posted:

Apparently Chase is getting rid of return protection and price protection on a lot of its cards.

Also, revised/new IHG cards and Barclay's new transferable card sticks. What a week in credit cards.

Hm I just got a mileage plus explorer to buy some gadgets with. Bad timing i guess.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

I've been sitting on the chase trifecta (CSR/freedom/FU) for a few years now with no credit card applications since. Between now and my CSR renewal I expect to burn through all of my UR points so I'll cancel the card at that point. Would my best bet be to apply for the CSP or the CSR again for the sign up bonus assuming I can hit the minimum spend for either? Anything I should be aware of before I go down this road? Thanks in advance.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

I've finally emptied my chase point balance right in time for my CSR renewal so I think I'll cancel it for the time being. Once pleasure/business travel ramps up again I'm thinking about doing the amex plat bonus through schwab or maybe one of the sapphires again since it's been a while since I got any bonuses through chase. Anything else I should be considering? Citi prestige popped up on my radar too but it looks like it's closed to new apps. In the mean time I'm going to use my citi doublecash for everything. Also any advice on what I should product change my CSR too? I already have a freedom and a FU so not sure if it matters.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

astral posted:

You could change to a Freedom Flex which offers some benefits the regular Freedom doesn't, such as cell phone insurance.

Thanks for the tip, didn't know this card existed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Virtue posted:

I've finally emptied my chase point balance right in time for my CSR renewal so I think I'll cancel it for the time being. Once pleasure/business travel ramps up again I'm thinking about doing the amex plat bonus through schwab or maybe one of the sapphires again since it's been a while since I got any bonuses through chase. Anything else I should be considering? Citi prestige popped up on my radar too but it looks like it's closed to new apps. In the mean time I'm going to use my citi doublecash for everything. Also any advice on what I should product change my CSR too? I already have a freedom and a FU so not sure if it matters.

Went through with this and ended up changing to a freedom unlimited (they said the flex would require closing the account because it's a mastercard) but they really were not happy that I now have two freedom unlimiteds open at the same time. Hope that doesn't cause any issues down the road when I want to apply back for the CSR or CSP bonus.