Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009
Didn't part of the Credit Card Bill of Rights / CARD Act that Obama signed force them to apply payments to the highest interest portion of a balance first?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009

THF13 posted:

The second is if they are going to retroactively charge interest if the full balance isn't paid off at the end of the promotion. I'm not sure if this is common, but I would definitely check.

This is big with Synchrony (Sweetwater, Paypal Credit, and Amazon cards for me definitely something to keep on top of).

I haven't come across anyone else which does it, but I'm sure there are more. I'd be surprised if Chase is one of them, though.

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009
People who minmax probably aren't going to get to the $15,000/year unless they spend a lot on their fallback card. But if you're only looking to carry one card it seems worth considering.

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009
First Tech Fed

- 10K minimum credit limit
- Always $0 transfer fee
- you can literally deposit the money into a checking account and spend it as cash*
- 12-month intro 0% APR
- Solid Credit Union that routinely offers me 3% APR promos**

*may no longer be the case, but I can 99% guarantee they don't care who's debt they're potentially collecting interest on.

** I'm generally willing to take a 3% loan and float about $15K constantly because I make more than that using the money, I also have the money to pay it off anytime if I can't find the next offer to daisy chain. 3% APR is better than a 3% fee because the effective rate decreases as you pay your balance down, so their follow-up retention offers are still better than most CC intro rates+fees. Remember, they never have a balance transfer fee.

CubicalSucrose posted:

Old card has some annual fee though, right? Cancel it if you're not going to use it but after you get your new one(s).

Product change to a no-fee card. You'll keep your total history in most cases and then you can just sock drawer it.

Girbot fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Aug 18, 2022

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009

Strong Sauce posted:

i'm a bit confused.

Deferring interest is seen by Synchrony as their riskiest loan/promotion/leverage, because it is.

Default allocation for Synchrony appears to be to pay the standard balance, then the minimum 1% (or fixed payment) on every type of promotion, and then further pay off the non-deferred interest promotions.

It's also "deferred" interest. Meaning it's building in the background and you're only absolved the responsibility to pay it if you finish paying off the balance during the terms. So yeah, the default makes sense for Synchrony. The number they're not overtly showing you and you're not thinking about is going up more with a higher balance.

Girbot fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Aug 24, 2022

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009
CapitalOne Quicksilver 1.5% No Annual/Foreign Transaction Fees.

Took it on vacation last week, outside of that it pays for a Minecraft realm and doesn't otherwise get used.

Discover and PenFed offer better cards if you just want the 1% Cashback on off category foreign transactions and have them be feeless.

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009

IOwnCalculus posted:

My wife got an Apple card as soon as they started offering 3% at Ace, since we shop there regularly.

https://www.usbank.com/credit-cards/coming-soon-shopper-cash-rewards-visa-signature-credit-card.html

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009
Customer service likely won't help you, merchant codes are selected by the merchants themselves.

Safest bet to get gas codes is the fill at non-store related stations and pay at the pump.

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009
5.555555%

You get the 10% refund on the refunded points as well.

Citi Custom Cash x2 + Citi Rewards+ is a must have for min/maxing cashback-centric wallets. Whatever's missing from other 5% category cards, either rotational or situational can be covered by this Trinity.

pseudanonymous posted:

It also rounds up, you always get at least 10 points or something so on purchases less than 5$

If you could use a 5% card use that instead for purchases over $2
If you could use a 3% card use that over $3.33
If you could use a 2.5% card use that over $4
If you could use a 2% card use that over $5

Otherwise yeah, then the round up is actually a bonus.

It's a vending machine card at best, otherwise many things are better. It's main draw is the Thank You Point Ecosystem refundung.

Girbot fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Mar 3, 2023

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009
If you just want to build credit, I'm fairly certain Capital One will give you something like a no-frills platinum card. If you're employed you shouldn't need to start with a secured card.

Use it for like 6 months and then get a rewards card if you want.

Girbot fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Mar 30, 2023

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009

Xenoborg posted:

Be double extra sure you pay it off on time though or they will backdate the full 2X% interest for the whole year.

Not every card is issued by Synchrony. Please don't give blanket advice like this in a financial thread, even though you're erring on the side of caution, it's misinformation.

To OP: Yes, that's a viable strategy. It's an additional way to squeeze some money out of sign up bonuses and on cards with otherwise no rewards.

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009
TPG to Go - Free
MaxRewards - Paid

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009

Medullah posted:

Not sure if it was a targeted offer but I just got an email for 8% back at gas stations with my Best Buy Visa, only through 7/16 but hey, better than 2%

5% this quarter with Discover.

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009
Vantage West also has a 5% card that lets you chose from few categories.

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009
That is unfortunate. Getting my second Custom Cash was the next card for me, guess I'll have to settle for P2 getting one and adding myself as an authorized user.

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009
That's why I pay my statement in the final week of being due. I want my money working for me as long as possible.

Two more things to note,

Not sure if they are still around or how popular they are, but cards outside of Citi which offer "forgiveness or forgetfulness" re: making purchases operate in the same way, it's a scheme to deny your cashback that people overlook for sake of being instantly applied or convenience. I know Wells Fargo used to have one.

Citi Double Cash combined with Rewards+ turns it into 2.222%

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009
Only "hoop" to jump through after they are linked is making sure to REDEEM the points through the rewards+ card and not the custom cash.

It just links the point pools to my knowledge.

And as the poster above stated, it's technically a rebate of 10% of the points you've redeemed, which means you get the bonus added back to the pool, but that's also how you're getting the trailing decimals and 10% on the 10% on the 10%, etc.

Girbot fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jan 28, 2024

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009
Bank signup bonuses are another option for free money without needing to manufacture spend, generally just involves moving money around.

Depending on the size of your savings, might be an option.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Everyone knows the secret service police are gonna bust down your door the moment you lie about your annual salary on your application.

"Hey dad, I'm going to court for this credit card thing today. Can i just tell the judge I could reasonably assume you'd cover my bills any month I was short?"

Every credit application I've seen explicitly states that you can include other people's income that you have reasonable access to. (e.g. parent's, spouse).

They want you to inflate your income, they want you to take out more than you can handle, they want you to gently caress up.

Girbot fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Feb 5, 2024

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009
https://alliance.usbank.com/en-us/statefarm/credit-cards/premier-cash-rewards-visa-signature-credit-card.html

3% back on insurance premiums up to $4K/yr

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009

Atahualpa posted:

(One that sites like nerdwallet often overlook in their "best cards for X" articles is the PenFed Platinum Rewards, which also gives 5%.)

This is my gas card, I was an NRA 5% cardholder and then PenFed attained us as clients when First National Bank of Omaha wanted to disassociate from the NRA.

It's not a 5 percent card, it's a 5x points card redeemable on a gift card market. There is no cash deposit or statement credit option, so you need to further devalue the opportunity cost.

11,760 Points will get you a $100 eVisa Gift Card.

100/117.60 = 0.8503
0.8503 * 5 = 4.2515

Assuming your default card nets 2%.

4.2515 / 1.02 = 4.1581
or (my brain is too fried after this work week to think about which of these methods is accurate, right now)
4.2515 * 0.98 = 4.1665

If you're like me and just add the balance to Amazon

4.2515 / 1.05 = 4.0142
or
4.2515 * 0.95 = 4.039

The 3% from BofA online would be near the middle here.

For me it is essentially a 4% gas card.

Girbot fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Mar 23, 2024

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009

Rakeris posted:

You can setup the BoA ones with auto pay..... It is just incredibly difficult to find and do. No idea why it's so difficult, I just assume they want you forgetting to pay it or something.

This is 100% the reason and if they were based in a country with any degree of consumer protection they'd be sued into the 21st century. Money lending financial institutions seemingly spend NOTHING on updating and maintaining their online/mobile banking services, it's not just BofA, but they are among the worst.

You have to setup eBills first which requires calling in.

Girbot fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Mar 23, 2024

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009
$6k to get into the green vs a fee free 2% card.

That's going to be worth it to a lot of people who only want to carry a single card, but I'd have to look if I reach that on my Fidelity card since most of my spend hits a categorized 4%+ card.

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009
Vlad is on Squak Box right now talking about the card. Not sure the easiest way to watch past segments, but there will surely be plenty of "finfluencers" :barf: covering it on YouTube later.

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I know I need to pay the entire balance every month.

You need to pay the statement balance to avoid interest. You don't need to pay off anything you've added to the card past the statement closing date until the next cycle.

This buys you time to budget for those living paycheck to paycheck or moving money between accounts (cash, savings, brokerage), and in the rare event you need it, gives you a longer window to dispute charges.

Girbot fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Apr 1, 2024

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009
Why not multiple?

The Amazon card will sit in your drawer anyway, right?

You'll want the Citi Rewards down the line for the 10% redemption rebate.

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009
Another thing to keep in mind. If you're not applying for mortgages, insurance, or opening credit cards, your score literally doesn't matter.

It's not something to obsess over, it's something to use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009