Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."
I'm looking at picking up a new card for signup bonuses. I already have a discover, chase, citi, and amex card so I've covered most of the big names. I thought I heard that one of the large companies back-dates new cards to be the same as your oldest line of credit with them so a new card wouldn't affect credit age - is this true?

Also, how big of a hit is a new line of credit going to be? I'm 25 with a 766 score and creditkarma gives my credit age as:
Average Account Age 5Yrs7Mos
Oldest Open Account 7 Yrs 5 Mos
Newest Open Account 3 Yrs 8 Mos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

If I open a card, use it for the sign-up bonus, then close it out (because gently caress fees), after a few months there won't be any net impact on my credit, right? The average age, utilization, etc will all be where they were because the card is closed?

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

Twice in the last few months I had credit limits raised on two different cards without me requesting it. I'm talking about a $6k raise on one and $4k on another. As far as I can tell, there's no downside to this, right? They're just trying to entice me to spend more and actually helping my utilization % go down, yeah?

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

:toot: Well thanks for the freebie, credit card companies!