Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

If you are redeeming all of the Barclay Arrival points on travel, wouldn't the break even point be nearer to $4050?

Fee is $89 (waived first year) - 4050 x 0.022 = ~89.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Just got approved for the BarclayCard Arrival+. :D

It's my second card ever (I have a Wells Fargo Visa Platinum through banking with them for years).

I have the option to pay my rent via card - this is a good way to spend $3000 in 3 months to earn the 40k bonus points, correct? Am I wrong in thinking I can pay my rent with this every month to earn sweet sweet points toward travel?

khysanth fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Nov 17, 2014

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Guinness posted:

Make sure your landlord isn't charging you a credit card fee to do so. Fees can be up to 3-5% typically. It's rare for a management company to accept credit cards for no additional charge.

There is a flat $35 fee for paying with a card, so here are my thoughts:

Rent is $1600, and assuming I spend all Arrival+ bonus points on travel, 2.2% of $1600 is ~$35.

I think it's worth it to pay rent for the first three months on the card in order to get the 40,000 sign-up point bonus.

After that it is mostly a wash, right? The points I get for paying rent are basically exactly canceled out by the $35 fee. Would it still make sense to pay with the card after the sign-up bonus? In a way it's sort of like I'm just putting money aside each month for future travel I think.

Let me know what you smarter goons think.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Quick question just to make sure I understand 100%.

I just got my credit card statement today from the bank, but the payment isn't due until Jan. 11, 2015.

Can I pay it today or is there any good reason to wait?

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Thoguh posted:

Any Chip & Pin cards in the US right now that you guys know about? My corporate card got upgraded to Chip & Pin recently but the best any of my personal cards are is Chip & signature.

Barclaycard Arrival+ is chip and pin.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

A few months ago we picked up the Barclaycard Arrival+ and hit the sign up bonus. Today I was approved for the Chase Sapphire and will hit that bonus within the first three months.

When it comes time for us to redeem the travel rewards (probably plane tickets somewhere next year), what is the best way to use them both? Buy one ticket on each?

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

yoohoo posted:

I've really been looking into my finances lately and learning as much as I can about what I'm actually doing instead of just kinda going along with what the bank says. I'm at the part where I need to decide whether I want a better credit card or not... I currently have a Wells Fargo Signature Cash Back card. 1% back on all purchases but that's really it. I'm deciding between the Discover rewards card or the Sallie Mae MasterCard. Thoughts?

Sallie Mae MasterCard and Citi Double Cash are probably your two best bets.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

What is the timeline like on the merger? I'm currently spending on the CSP to get the 50k bonus and need another month or two. I'd like to get the 100k from these two cards if I can...

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

SaltLick posted:

Got approved of the Citi Double Cash with an initial limit of $900. What are the chances of calling customer service right off the bat and trying to get that raised a bit?

Probably pretty slim. If you request a limit increase after 60-90 days of on-time payments you will probably have a better chance.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

pig slut lisa posted:

Is more of your flying within the US or back to your original country? The best travel card for you depends on your typical destinations and the airlines that serve them.

I'm not the one this question is addressed to, but I'd like to know anyway. If my wife and I travel internationally every other year (to any other continent), and on the off-years we take trips within the US, which travel card(s) make the most sense?

Right now we have both the Barclay Arrival+ and the Chase Sapphire Preferred. Our free year for both cards will be up in several months and I'm planning on downgrading one or both of them to avoid any annual fee. Not sure if it is worth keeping either one. Definitely don't think we'll keep both.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

11 months into my Barclaycard Arrival+ World Elite Mastercard. Just called customer service and had them downgrade it (painlessly) to the no-annual fee World Mastercard. Thanks for the 40,000 points Barclays!

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

becoming posted:

Good to know. This was going to be the annual fee card that I kept and put most of my spend on, but I'm pretty disappointed in the recent nerfing and will now be downgrading to the Arrival. Thanks for confirming that this shouldn't be a hassle.

Same. Wife and I decided to keep the Chase Sapphire Preferred instead for all our non-grocery/gas purchases (we use the Barclaycard Sallie Mae for those).

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

It's the start of a new year and therefore a good time to try and get the Southwest Companion Pass (which is good until December 31, 2017). Just had my wife apply and get approved for the Chase Southwest Premiere (50k bonus with $2,000 spend in 3 months). Next month we'll probably have her get the Chase Southwest Plus (40k bonus with $1,000 spend in 3 months). Hoping to hit 110k points in March to enjoy those sweet sweet 20 months of companion passes.

$99 annual fee for the Premiere and $69 annual fee for the Plus.

AFAIK there is no way to downgrade these Chase partnership-branded cards to avoid subsequent annual fees, so I guess next year I'll cancel the Premiere and just keep the Plus open if we intend on flying more and more Southwest (already have the CSP so we don't need the Premiere's zero foreign transaction fees).

Thoughts?

khysanth fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jan 6, 2016

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

So my wife got the two Chase Southwest cards (personal Plus/Premiere) for the sign up bonuses to hit the companion pass. We are still shy about ~6k points. I know one option to get the final points is to just buy Choice hotel points and converting them to Southwest Airline points.

I've also seen that with Chase Ultimate Rewards points we can transfer to Hyatt/Marriott and then to Southwest. The thing with this option is that the CUR points are all on MY Chase Sapphire Preferred account (she is just authorized uesr). Is this option only viable if those points are her's?

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Luigi Thirty posted:

I do a lot of commuting and want to squeeze the most cash back I can out of my gas purchases. My Discover card is one of those ones with the revolving cash back categories so I only get 5% back on gas for three months out of the year, it's 0.25% otherwise. What should I be looking at for a credit card? I don't have a balance to transfer and I'm not interested in churning.

The Barclaycard SallieMae gets 5% back on gas year round:

http://credit-cards.credio.com/l/310/Barclaycard-Sallie-Mae

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Bisty Q. posted:

Sallie Mae is dead.

Huh. I can't remember if I received any sort of notice in the mail about this. What happens to my card? Pretty sure I'm still getting the 5% back on groceries and fuel...

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

ilkhan posted:

What actually qualifies as "travel" for the CSP card? Hotels? air/bus/train/uber tickets? What else?

All that and more. Camping, parks fees, etc. It's pretty exhaustive.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

THF13 posted:

The Sallie Mae Mastercard seems to be getting the ax. A redditor got a letter saying it is being converted into the Commence Mastercard as of March 1 and will offer 2% back on grocery stores and utilities and 1% everywhere else. :rip:

Nooooooooo RIP my groceries/gas card

Any other good cards out there for 5% back?

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Blinky2099 posted:

Yeah, RIP sallie mae barclaycard. Definitely my favorite card. I'm not a fan of carrying around a shitload of cards just to min/max so I'll probably switch over to citi doublecash for every purchase ever and be done with it

This except I'll keep my CSP for travel stuff / rental cars. Pour one out for our girl Sallie Mae.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Got a mailer for a promotion the Barclays Commence is doing (its the re branded Sallie Mae card).

$10 bonus cash back each for October, November, and December if you spend $1,500 each month. $50 bonus on top of that if you hit $1,500 each month. They really want people to use their lovely card I guess.

I haven't even activated the stupid Commerce they sent me months ago after the switch from Sallie Mae.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

El Mero Mero posted:

Is the companion pass for every flight for a year? That's how I'm reading that offer and if so, that's a stupid good deal.

Yes.

Source: wife and I had companion pass all this year through hitting 110k points or whatever late last year. Both cards were in her name, so I'm going to be signing up for this and getting us another year of companion passes!

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Busy Bee posted:

Do you guys lock / freeze your credit at the 3 bureaus (Transunion, Experian, and Equifax). Is it pretty straight forward to do so and would you recommend it? I lost some important documents recently (No SS number or anything but I want to be safe).

I've locked mine since the credit report leak fiasco.

It's really easy to temporarily lift the freeze if you ever need to for any reason. I opened a new account at a credit union and they needed to do a pull. I just went on my phone to whichever of the credit reporting agencies they were using and lifted the freeze for that day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Taima posted:

Hey guys, I don't make it around to BFC too much but I have a pretty niche question about credit cards.

I'm thinking about getting a premium credit card. Some of these cards, like the Sapphire Preferred, have a pretty great signing bonus but you have to spend $4,000+ in three months.

My credit is impeccable so no concerns about getting accepted, and there's a decent chance I would hit most of that number through regular use, but I was curious what the best way would be to somehow pay a month of rent with my credit card.

I live in a high rent area so one rent payment would cover a lot of that balance requirement. I see that there are services that basically cut you a check but take a percentage cut, is that the best way to go, and if not, what is?

My property management company accepts credit car payments for rent, but they charge $37 for it. I'm not familiar with the type of service you've described. Either way you'll want to do some math to see if it makes sense for you.