Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

khysanth posted:

If you are redeeming all of the Barclay Arrival points on travel, wouldn't the break even point be nearer to $4050?

Fee is $89 (waived first year) - 4050 x 0.022 = ~89.

No, because you would've earned 1.5% anyways. With Citi Double Cash, I actually think the better comparison is 2% where the break even point is 44500.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
I'm really annoyed at my credit score. It's inexplicably going down and it's hit the lowest it's been since I was 19 (720). I've pulled two of my credit reports and nothing's awry. The only bad thing on my credit report is one late payment 4 years ago. Other than that, I have 11 accounts that are always paid in full every month. I just don't get it. But it's annoying as poo poo because I've gotten declined from so many rewards credit cards, and the only credit card offers are balance transfers or low APR. And I've never carried a balance even, so what the gently caress man.

Eugh.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

THF13 posted:

There's not a lot you can do to protect yourself from having your card compromised, so it's important to always monitor your credit cards, even the ones you aren't using that are still active. When the US switches to chip and sig it should help pretty dramatically but you will still need to worry about people stealing your credit card number and using it online.

This is pretty strange. Are you using a large percentage of your credit limit on any of your cards? And how often are you applying for new cards? Each time you apply for a card it has a small effect on your credit score but it should pretty quickly recover.

I generally apply in batches, my last batch was 6 months ago (only the Sallie Mae). I decided to apply for a new batch because of the US Airways Premier Card offer. I actually don't pay much attention to my utilization, because it's managed by the budget, my utilization is mid-high (30% ish) because my available credit is low cause of my individual income.

Usually, if I call the reconsideration line they look at my actual credit report vs the score and ask me a few questions and I get approved. (Just did that now.) But I'd gotten used to instant approvals. Heh.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Pryor on Fire posted:

There's a few magic numbers that are % thresholds of available credit that if you cross they trigger a drop in FICO. Ten years ago they used to be like 33% and 66% and if you crossed that as a balance of total line of credit it's considered a red flag, but in FICO's ever changing clandestine secret algorithm should be illegal horseshit these thresholds keep getting fiddled with, I've heard about it happening as low as 15% for whatever stupid reason. So ideally just avoid ever utilizing more than 10% of your available credit line at any point, even if you pay it off the day after. So try to get that massive line of credit on any individual card and pay if off once a week if you have to to avoid utilizing much of it.

It's either that or people are running credit checks on you that you don't know about, either for some sort of background check or just fraudulent applications.

Having 11 accounts is too many, you want two or three tops with as high a limit as you can possibly find but closing accounts triggers a drop too so just go back in time and don't open so many.

Thanks for the advice on utilization. It's a byproduct of the fact that Sallie Mae is on my account, and we buy a lot of things through Amazon, but my husband makes the vast majority of our household income.

Why's having 11 accounts too many? I've never gotten dinged for the # of accounts. I churn credit cards (and some of them are shared CC's with my husband).

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

dexter6 posted:

This may be common knowledge, but thought I'd put it in this thread just for other peoples information

Barclays will not allow you to have > airline branded card open at once. I attempted to open a second US Airways card for the additional 50k miles, but they declined the app because I already "had sufficient credit" with them.

I found a two-year-old blog post from someone saying that it was possible, but apparently, it's not.

Did you call the reconsideration number to see if you could move some credit around?

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
Looks like it's a calling thing. I got the offer first try last night but procrastinated and couldn't get it to pop up today. Tried calling and got this and the Starwood done in one fell swoop.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
I don't know of any fee free cash advance credit cards. But Charles Schwab allows fee free debt card withdrawals (which is what we used) and if you're with a credit union that refunds ATM fees, mine includes foreign ATM's in that.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Massasoit posted:

I got an amex platinum offer in the mail with the 100k/3k spend. I see a lot of talk about amex 100k signup - is that the one? It doesn't say anything about waiving the first year fee and it was like 295 or 495. Does that fee get waived?

Yes, it's the one. No the fee doesn't get waived. Yes, it's totally worth it.

My husband and I got so much mileage out of the benefits, we're talking about keeping it after the first year.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Tyro posted:

I haven't really used any of the benefits yet and it looks like the points aren't transferrable to partner hotels/airlines which kinda sucks. What benefits have you been using a lot?

International travel mostly. We take yearly month long international vacations. In order of love, Global Entry (basically just skip past immigraton AND customs, crazy), Priority Pass (long international layovers are really rough without lounges), $200 airline credit (we used this on airline gift cards to then book a flight), Hilton and SPG Gold means that the couple times we booked a lovely hotel under those companies we got upgraded to a King deluxe room, Boingo wifi (meh). We also used it for the purchase protection stuff like extended warranty.

Points are transferable here

Rurutia fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Jan 19, 2016

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
It's fine. I hate Synchrony's interface but they link up fine with nYNAB and auto pay so I don't have to see it anymore.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
Or just get the Synchrony if you're not a super churner who needs to minimize your pulls. I churn and I still just got the Amazon Store Card because it's so brain dead.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Sperg Victorious posted:

You just say you're a sole proprietor. They're not going to drill you on it. Same for most businesses cards.

When I was looking into the Ink a year ago they definitely asked some questions on the application form I was not comfortable answering as I would literally have to make up stuff.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Sperg Victorious posted:

I had to do it once when I was a sole proprietor, which is basically just you saying you're a business within yourself. At the most, they may have asked for an EIN number, but you should still be able to use your SS number.

One of my friends even got the amex platinum business card the same way. Although they printed his name in the company field, which was kind of weird.

But you were a sole proprietor which makes all the difference. I'm talking about them asking about business income, what category your business is in etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
Yeah the way Citi's backend works is just poo poo. I haven't had a problem with linking accounts but I wouldn't be surprised if they hosed up something.

They also randomly render my username/password useless so I have to reset it even though I use KeePass and I know I'm using the same thing I've been using to log in for the past 4 months.