Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Nice! Thanks for the effort. I have closed the old thread - holler at me if there are any issues.

How does the PenFed cash back card compare to others? I think the rewards are less, but it's also a (mostly) no-BS credit union instead of a for-profit bank.

slap me silly fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Nov 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Oh lord I'm approximately a million posts behind in this thread and I can't possibly catch up. Penfed has let me down too many times and I want a card that (1) doesn't constantly get declined on legit transactions and (2) ideally has some rewards that happen automatically without me loving around with points or requesting checks or so forth. So far I have been suggested the Citi Double Rewards but I can't apply for it right now because their website is down. Any other options I should look at in the meantime?

Oh and I've got some travel coming up so I need something that works in the unattended chip&pin train ticket machines in Europe.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

pig slut lisa posted:

Barclaycard Arrival+
Ok I did this thing. Here's hoping it works out!

Conveniently, this is a mastercard and my other bank just switched me from mastercard to visa. Not that having both is really any use in this day and age

slap me silly fucked around with this message at 06:52 on May 7, 2016

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Tyro posted:

They're most likely chip and signature, not true chip and pin. 99% of the time it doesn't make a difference but I've run into machines in Europe that won't accept my chip card.

Yup. Nothing quite like finding yourself in a remote train station in Italy with no attendant in sight, needing a ticket for the 10pm train and your cash is 5 euro short.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Every time I think I understand what's going on with it, something else changes...

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, it looks good. Now I'm going to find myself in a year having to figure out whether it's worth the annual fee to keep it.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

asur posted:

It's not, definitely get a different card and don't pay the annual fee.

If it's reliable, chip/PIN, and has some amount of rewards I can wring out of it without a lot of hassle, it might be worth the 90 bucks. I travel internationally at least every couple of years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

asur posted:

There are plenty of cards with similar features that you could rotate though on a yearly basis to rack up some signup bonuses and keep AF free assuming that Barclay won't waive it.
No doubt, but this is precisely the sort of game I can't be arsed to play. Wouldn't be bothering with this in the first place if my current card didn't keep getting declined for no good reason in the the last year or two.