Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

spwrozek posted:

I have been considering changing cards lately but have been lazy so far. I use chase checking and have a chase freedom card. After this year they are removing the bonus points for having a checking account with them. I was averaging about 1.65% cash back accounting for the bonuses, categories, and 1% on everything.

The new citi double cash card looks pretty good. Here is some info about how we use our card:

Spend per year - $42-45K (average of the last 3 years)
Haven't done any international travel but would like to in 2 years after my wife's current contract is up.
Just want cash back with no hoops to get it (the chase card is nice, deposit right back into my account).
If I do add a card or change a card I would probably keep the chase and use it for 5% cash back when it makes sense.
Both our credit scores are hovering around 800.

What do you think?
If you're spending is that much and you travel a bit, the Barclays Arrival (w/ fee) more than pays itself. The effective 2.22% is a winner, with no foreign transaction fee and chip+sig/pin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
It looks alright, but you could do better with the Citi Cash, BoA Travelcard, or Quicksilver. That is if you don't care about supporting The Man. I'd recommend the BoA card if you travel a lot. If you charge a lot per year (>~$12000), the Barclays wins.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
On the flip side, I think Chase has the best over-the-phone service I've experienced from any company, and this is over three cards I've had with them (and sadly all closed).

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
You're still probably better off with the Citi Cash card on average, though the no FTF is a nice feature.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
With that high of spending, you should consider the Barclays Arrival with the 2.22% plus all the travel benefits. The break-even point for the annual fee (vs. a 1.5% card with similar benefits) is ~$12,000 a year charged on the card.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
Rurutia's correct. Maths below.

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=2.22x-8900+%3D+2x+solve+for+x

So really, right now the best way to maximize your flexibility and cash back is to have the Citi Cash (2%) and then one of the travel cards with no FTF and chip+sig/pin (BankAmericard Travel, 1.5%).

I think I may be switching credit cards around... again...

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
Interesting post made by the "Finance Buff." If you have $100k in assets and willing to sell your soul to Bank of America and Merill Edge, you get an effective 2.65% on purchases after three months of establishing a checking and brokerage account with them. This includes free trading, no ATM fees, and all the benefits of the BankAmericard Travel Rewards. It seems crazy good, but you have to be loaded to take advantage.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
If you use Paypal to pay for a lot of stuff, you can charge your new card through it. No FTF, either! Just don't send friends/family cash with the card, of course.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
The ultimate question for you is do you prefer your $35 in points in cash (liquid, growable) or points (rigid). Also, if you have a decent interest-bearing checking/savings account, it technically will outperform credit card rewards. After hitting that sign-up bonus, I would just convert back to ACH or whatever for your rent.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Bisty Q. posted:

:what:

Even the highest interest-bearing savings account yields are 1% or barely above. The FIA Amex gives you 2% on everything. How do you figure a savings account outperforms rewards?

You're forgetting about the flat fee which negates the rewards...

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Raymn posted:

A number of years ago I had a bankruptcy discharged. After that I got a bad credit score card from Capitol One that has a yearly fee just so I have a card for emergencies. Since then I've never really carried a balance but USAA refuses to give me a normal credit card. I apply about once a year and am always denied. I haven't really applied at multiple places since I figure they'll likely end up the same? I would like to get a card where i don't pay a fee for it especially since I never really use the card but it seems like I'm kind of screwed right now. Anyone have any experience getting back onto the wagon of normal cards? Am I going to have to wait until it falls off?

The fact that you weren't carrying a balance at all meant you weren't really building your score. Have you been paying off any other debts, like loans?

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Raymn posted:

I have no debt. My credit score is 672 which isn't great but I don't think is awful. I've had a balance a few times but for the most part I haven't really used it. It could very well be that my bank is just being super conservative with handing out cards and if I were to try elsewhere I would have some luck.

That's a fairly decent score, so I'm unsure why USAA is rejecting you. Have you considered another card with a different bank (maybe a credit union), or is there something special about this one?

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Bloody Queef posted:

Jesus Christ stop spreading this poo poo. It's wildly incorrect. He was building credit by length of account being open. Utilization has no history component to it. It resets every time it's reported.

Sorry, my wording was poor. I am a proponent of paying your card off every statement, thus I meant high utilization = better score, but even that is untrue it seems.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
Citi Cash is pretty much guaranteed to give you more bang for your buck. If your spending on credit is greater than ~$22k annually, you'd benefit more from the Barclays Arrival Plus, even with the annual fee.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
If your checking is earning any kind of interest, you'll be making cents more if you wait! :toot:

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
Just for the sheer lack of hassle, the Citi card wins.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Omelette du Fromage posted:

I'm buying furniture soon. What's the best card for dropping 3-4k on it, rewards-wise? Bonus points for 0% APR for a year or something, but that's secondary (I have the cash).

I saw the Sapphire, but I don't really fly that much. Are there cards with a similar deal that aren't travel focused, or am I being dumb about this?

Citi Cash.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Bisty Q. posted:

Buzz, Arrival Plus. Citi Double Cash doesn't have a signup bonus.

You will need to make a ~$500 travel purchase to get the value, but it's definitely worth doing. "Travel purchase" is a pretty wide category on that card, too.

Citi does have no APR for a period of time, which is why I suggested it.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
Their password requirements are also heinous.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

SaltLick posted:

Apparently Citi is about to update their interface

Good, their interface is as bad as Barclay's in quite a few regards.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

hbf posted:

I'm looking for a card that preferably has: no foreign transaction fee, no annual fee, and has a chip/will be accepted around Europe. Based on the OP it looks like the BoA Travel Rewards meets the requirements, but was wondering if there is anything else that is decent?

That's pretty much the best without an annual fee.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

hbf posted:

the main thing I'm after is avoiding a 3% fee for foreign transactions, and an annual fee. a few of the recommended cards that have that (aside from the BoA card) don't even have chips. I'm guessing not having a chip is limiting?

It might be an issue in say, France. If you don't have an absolute grudge against Bank of America, their card is the best for % return, chip, and no annual fees.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Pron on VHS posted:

Is Citi DoubleCash the best workhorse credit card for someone who doesn't travel much and doesn't have skewed spending habits across cash-back categories? (like, my spending is spread evenly among Amazon, grocery stores, etc.)

I have a Chase Sapphire but I signed up for it primarily for the awesome intro Bonus (which I used to buy my mom a rowing machine off Amazon, I didn't even spend it on travel stuff which would have extended it even more) but now it's just a 1% cashback card with an annual fee pretty much.

I guess I should travel more, but in the meantime is DoubleCash great? 2% across all purchases seems amazing

It's best for domestic non-mileage, unless you spend a lot per year. If that's the case, Barclays Arrival Plus has a 0.22% edge on Citi, but with an annual fee. The breakeven point is pretty high regardless, something like $18k per year.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
The BoA Travel Rewards redemption is based on "travel" related expenses, which is pretty broad by their definitions. You can also redeem on the same expense if you didn't fully redeem it previously, assuming the transaction hasn't expired.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
We are talking about Travel Rewards, not Cash Rewards.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Massasoit posted:

I'm looking to get a visa or MasterCard with a chip for going to Canada (currently have discover (poor acceptance) and Sallie Mae (no chip) cards. Discover if my current main card, Sallie Mae used for 5% cash back categories.

I've been looking at double cash or quicksilver cards - and I can't decide which. Quicksilver with no ftf would be nice, but on the other hand the extra .5% rewards of the double cash for general use may be good. I don't plan on spending a whole lot while in Canada, so the 3% ftf may be okay for the one trip I have planned to Canada.

2% cb/3% ftf or 1.5% cb/0% ftf

Anything else I should consider or that I have overlooked? I have gotten mail offers for each of the cards. Credit score around 720 and I've never missed a payment, only carried a balance once.

Get both. One for domestic, one for travel.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

365 Nog Hogger posted:

I haven't applied yet because I'm unsure if applying for the card signifies activating/signing a contract, so I don't know if I'll be approved, but any thoughts on a Wells Fargo Cash Back Visa? I currently bank with them (checking/savings combo with some sort of UC employee account), have 0 credit history (as in reports simply return 'Thin File') but would rather get a regular card than a secured if I can help it. I would be paying in full every cycle, most likely just setting some of my bills to go trhough it and auto-debit payments.
Not worth the convenience compared to other cashbacks or what?

It seems like a fine entry-level card if you literally cannot get any other card.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
My time with Chase was particularly excellent. Little to no wait, instantaneous service. Probably some of the best customer service I've ever had.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
Its only weakness is a lack of sign-up bonus, so short-term gains are nonexistent. In the long run though, it'll outperform most every card with its no annual fee.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
Bank of America Travel Rewards may be good. 1.5% back, 3% for travel booked through the site, no annual fee, chip and sig, no FTF.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
The "travel" redemption guidelines are pretty relaxed, if I recall correctly. Works for amusement parks, parking...

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
Personally, I'd go DoubleCash and be done with it. Tack on the Quicksilver CapitalOne or Bank Travel Americard for travel: 1.5% cash back, chip+sig, and no FTF.

I think either travel cards have a sign-up bonus, so you could start with that and then transition to the Citi DoubleCash.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

lwoodio posted:

I have always used debit and never had a credit card. I want to build my credit in preparation for buying a home. I recently applied for Chase Freedom, Amex Blue Cash, and Capital One Quicksilver, and was denied for all of them. Amex says my score was 605. What should I do next?

Your bank may be a good place to start. Apply for a credit card there, preferably with no annual fee.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
Assuming the 15th is when your bills are due...

If you make any charges before the 15th of a month (let's say May), it will be added to your statement for that month. Those charges need to be paid by June 15th to avoid any interest.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
Ugh, that doesn't sound good. I applied and got approved for the new Costco Visa but didn't do it while logged in. I hope they can figure out I am the same person. :v:

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

The Electronaut posted:

Counter post: my switch over was seamless. Got the card a week or two prior, activated it, on Monday went in and added it to my online account; my account has checking as well as a couple credit cards.

Counter-counterpoint, record level complaints.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
Approved. :getin:

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
I try to keep gas and restaurant cards on me, and register specific cards for website use like Amazon then stash them away.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Hey, thanks Citi! First time I've tried this feature and it worked!

I've made it a habit to get my receipt for in-store purchase because of this program. It sucks when it can't find exactly what you bought, though the paperwork isn't terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

The Mantis posted:

What is the $1500 reward?

I think he means the 100,000 points which are valued at least 1.5 cents per point.