Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

McPimpenheimer posted:

I've got a Citi AAdvantage Gold card that I'm tired of paying the annual fee on. Are there any other Citi cards I should be looking at PCing into? I already have Double Cash, Thank You Preferred and Dividend cards. I suppose I could PC into the Custom Cash card (Not getting the $200 bonus offer won't kill me) or the Simplicity, otherwise maybe I'll just close the card outright.

The Costco card is free if you're already paying for a Costco membership. In terms of actually using it it's nothing special except for 4% on gas. It also gives 3% on travel and restaurants but you can find equal or higher numbers for those pretty easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Vox Nihili posted:

Getting 3%/4% on gas, travel, and restaurants on one free card is pretty solid. I use mine all the time.

Most travel cards have annual fees and the like that I prefer not to deal with.

Personally my expenditure on all of those categories has been quite low lately lmao

I always read people saying one of the specialty travel cards are generally worth the money but yeah the number of people for whom the annual fee is worth it is probably a lot lower these days.

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Feb 3, 2022

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Hello, I use different cards based on which gets the best deal on each purchase. Currently I have 6 credit cards in my wallet.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

6 is more than usual because i need to test to see if my alliant 2.5% is actually going to give me 2.5% this quarter or if i need to use the fidelity 2%

The 6 also includes the costco card which i really don't need to carry around unless I'm going to costco because besides using as a costco membership card i normally only use it when buying gas (4%) but the discover it is doing 5% on gas this quarter

e: oh wait, i also only buy gas at costco because it's always cheaper but they dont take discover anyway so i don't need to carry the discover around at all

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

The 2% fidelity card's only hoop is that you have to deposit the money into a fidelity account. If you don't have an account with them they have a simple one without trading that's basically a checking account and then you can transfer the cash out of there

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Listen when i buy this month's car i don't want to have to split it between two credit cards

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

What do you mean by moving the credit card? If you have a balance that you'd like to move to be owed to another bank that's easy, you just open another card account and say you want to do a "balance transfer." Credit cards will have promotional offers for balance transfers like 0% interest on your transferred balance for some period of time so those are worth shopping around for. If you want to have your new bank to still honor your wells fargo rewards program terms then no, that won't happen.

You can keep the card open if you want, the only reason you'd do that is if you're concerned about your credit report saying you have an older credit card account, but I personally have never thought deliberately trying to keep an old account around to try and game the credit score was worth the hassle.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Go to one of the 10,000 credit card review sites/ affiliate link farms and look at their listicles for balance transfer offers imo

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

The issuers will sometimes change the categories that you can pick from. They did this with the USBank Cash+ at some point and got rid of some of the awesome categories (I think at some point they were giving 5% cash back on airfare or something) and replaced them with crappy categories. That was a year or two ago. I dunno how often they do this, for the Cash+ it was maybe a few years after the card was introduced and most likely they got rid of the best ones because they were too good, and they were giving out more money than they wanted to. It's not something you should really plan for in my opinion, just ride the best rewards offers until they stop being offered then move onto the next one.

Applying for a bunch of cards back to back doesn't matter. It might ding your credit score a couple points for a few months, but that affects absolutely nothing unless you happen to be applying for a mortgage or another big loan right now and that couple of points is enough to affect your offered interest rate. Also, Chase has this policy where they won't give new cards to people who have already opened 5 cards in the past 24 months, but if you're not churning cards that doesn't matter either.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

I got a mailer from Wells Fargo saying they're killing off the Propel card and converting it into their "Active Cash" card which seems to be a 2% cash back Visa. Meh, whatever. I haven't used the Propel card in ages.

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Sep 23, 2022

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

The Citi Custom Cash is probably the best card for getting 5% back on groceries. It's 5% back on the biggest spending category only up to $500 a month though, and lol @ spending less than $500 a month on groceries these days

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Speaking of the Citi Custom Cash, does anyone know if Costco falls into one of the categories they'll do 5% back on? I spend a lot of money there but the best card I have for it is the 2.5% Alliant one.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Upgrade posted:

Isn't the best grocery card the Amex 6% cash back? 6% on $6k of groceries are year with a $95 fee

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. I personally stuck with the no fee version of that card that gives 3% on groceries because the last time I looked at how much I spent on groceries it wasn't enough for the extra 1%-3% to cover the 95 bucks.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

I want to be paying with the card that gives the highest cash back on restaurant purchses

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Rip the 5% sallie mae card, the greatest credit card ever

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Medullah posted:

Guys I need some emotional support. I just spent $300 at Costco and I couldn't remember which card had 5% at wholesale so I panicked and used my 2% Wells Fargo.

wait which one has 5% CB at wholesale clubs???

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Does Citi still offer extended warranty coverage? This thing I found on thepointsguy says they still offer 2 years of coverage on a few of their primo cards but I can't find anything on the Citi website to confirm. Is the thepointsguy thing out of date?

Btw if anyone here does sign up for an Alliant account make sure to check out this sign up bonus offer for 400 free dollars if you deposit $10k with them. Supposedly current members can get $300 of that.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

For groceries, I think the best cards right now are the chase freedom and discover it when they make groceries one of their rotating 5% categories (both of them are doing 5% on groceries into the end of march) and the citi custom cash, which gives 5% back on one category but only on the first $500 a month. Beyond that, the highest no annual fee card for groceries is iirc the 3% american express. The highest no annual free straight cash back for restaurants that i am aware of is the US bank altitude go which gives 4%. For both of those it's up to you whether the extra 0.5% on groceries and 1.5% on restaurants you'd get over just using the alliant card is enough to bother with another credit card

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

This sounds great, but aw man they apparently had a 80k point sign up bonus for the premier a month ago but now it's down to 60k

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

It's the only account I've ever wrote paper checks with

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

You don't necessarily need to start with a secured credit card. The credit card companies have various "for students" cards that they market for students and other people with no credit score.

But as astral said don't borrow any money that you can't pay off in full at the end of the month.

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Mar 28, 2023

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

so these travel portals, the ones that the travel-themed credit cards make you go through to get the points on travel purchases, what exactly does that entail? do you get the same flights and prices to choose from that you'd get on kayak or the airline's website?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

I have a custom cash that I use exclusively as my grocery card. I don't know of any other no-fee 5% grocery cards, except for the rotating categories cards for 3 months a year.

Space Fish posted:

Email offer from Citi Custom Cash looks pretty ludicrous:

If I'm reading that correctly, the CCC will temporarily become a 6% general cash back card, with 10% back on my highest spend category, do I have that right?

I got this offer as well and after reading the fine print I can't tell if it's just 10% back on the highest category, or if it also adds 6% on everything else. It says it's 5 bonus points on "qualifying" purchases but it never defines what qualifies a purchase. Either way it's not like I won't spend 500 bucks at grocery stores between now and July.

Also, came to post that there's big limited-time sign up bonuses for a couple of $95 annual fee cards. The Chase Sapphire Preferred has 80k chase points for $4k spend, or, if you go into a bank branch to apply you get 90k points (80k points if you spend $4k in 3 months, then 10k points if you spend a total of $6k in 9 months). The Citi Premier also has a limited time offer of 75k citi points for $4k spend. Idk if either of these are worth paying the fee to keep after getting the sign up bonus but I went for the chase one already and might get the citi card if the offer is still around in a month or so.

e: also the sapphire preferred has a 15k point referral bonus so if you and a partner really want to optimize it you could have one person go for the in branch 90k then have the other person use a referral link to get 185k points total instead of 180k

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Apr 22, 2023

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Discover It protip: one of the quarterly 5% categories is warehouse clubs and although you can't use discover cards at costco, you can buy costco gift cards on the website and pay for those using discover.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

If you're already trying to optimize your travel spending among different travel and airline cards and are planning out which ones to sign up for, you're already most of the way to just targeting the pretty good sign up bonuses a lot of the travel cards have and just churning through them. That way you don't even have to plot out which card to use where, you can just put everything on one card until you hit the spending target and then move onto the next card.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Not credit card related but this is the thread with all the referral links. I'm thinking of trying out Empower, formerly known as Personal Capital, as a single place to sync all your accounts and see all your transactions, and I read that they have a referral program where the referrer and the referee both get $20. anyone want to share a referral link?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

drk posted:

As penance for making bad posts in the credit card thread, I read my Amex agreement which rather unhelpfully says:

Is this what y'all are talking about?

I think that might be talking about credits tied to specific purchases, like the merchant offers you can "add" to your card that give you $30 off a $150 purchase at one of a hundred weird stores nobody's ever heard of, or for american express they've seemingly always got ones for dell and levi's

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

The Citi Premier has a 75k citi points ($750+) sign up bonus for $4k spent right now

e: $95 annual fee tho

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jun 22, 2023

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

The citi custom cash is 5% back on gas or groceries every quarter

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

The Discover It and USBank Cash Plus are really the only other 5% no-fee cards. The Cash Plus has a couple more categories not covered by other cards like utilities and gym memberships.

The real next step though in gaming credit card rewards is to get cards just for the sign up bonuses. The chase sapphire preferred had a limited time offer of 80k bonus chase points after spending $4k which after the fee comes out to like 17% cash back.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Restaurants have been able to change your bill without your card since forever. The standard model has always been

1. Server brings you the bill
2. You give the server your card and the bill
3. Server runs the card on the machine
4. Server brings you your card and the receipt
5. You take your card and write the tip amount on the receipt
6. Server picks the receipt up off the table and adds your tip amount to the amount charged to your card, without running your card again

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

I just cashed out my 90k chase points as $900 cash.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Warehouse stores was a category on Discover It earlier this year and i bought like a thousand dollars of costco giftcards

Then not too much later costco announced they'd no longer accept discover on costco.com lol

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

saintonan posted:

The $95 annual fee after the intro year. Amazon has its own card that's 5% (periodically 6% if you choose slower shipping) for no AF. Walmart has its own card through Capital One that does essentially the same thing.

The Amazon card isn't fully no-fee because it's only 5% if you pay for Amazon Prime. The Affinity Federal Credit Union Visa gives 5% back on Amazon without any fees or other subscriptions.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

So apparently at some point the American Express Blue Cash Everyday started giving 3% cash back on "U.S. Online Retail Purchases" in addition to groceries and gas. I have no idea when this category was added but the detailed list looks pretty good:

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/rewards-info/retail.html posted:

Examples* of purchases that will earn additional rewards include, but are not limited to:

Major retailers (e.g., Amazon.com, Walmart.com)
Pet stores (e.g., Chewy.com)
Furniture stores (e.g., Wayfair.com)
Department stores
Drug Stores
Book stores
Auto & home supply stores
Personal and household care
Toy & Hobby stores
Computer & Electronic stores
Apparel, Footwear, and Accessories stores
Sporting goods stores

*This is not a complete list.

Additional list of categories where you will NOT earn additional rewards include:

Airline tickets
Concert ticket purchases
Food delivery platforms
Online grocery orders
Rideshare services
Streaming services
Wireless cellular providers

That list isn't bad. I think 3% is the highest credit card rewards rate I've seen on Chewy, and some of the other ones like electronics and sporting goods I think generally require picking them on the Cash+ or some other level of finagling to get over 2-2.5%. I haven't used my Blue Cash Everyday except for the merchant-specific offers for a while but I'll definitely try and remember to use it more going forward.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

You can transfer Citi points you get from other cards to the Rewards+ and redeem them with the 10% bonus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

the fidelity cash management account is actually a pretty great checking account. it has the base things you'd expect (no fees, free paper checks, ATM fee reimbursement) but also lets you put the money in fidelity money market funds and will auto-sell to cover debits. i have my cash in their t-bill money market fund so i get ~5% state-tax-exempt interest on it