Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

How do merchants report cash-like portions of a purchase? Is it split out?

Say I have a 2% groceries cash back reward and at the local grocery store I get $100 in groceries and a $100 Amazon gift card all on one receipt. I'd only earn $2 in rewards points and not $4, correct?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Bisty Q. posted:

Well, some do. Google "Level 3 data". Office supply stores and airlines, especially, report this. But yeah, for the posed question, you're fine. Buy all the gift cards you want, just try not to make purchases of exactly gift card amounts excessively or risk some fun questioning from your credit card.

It seems too easy to game then that it really surprises me if they don't split it out. My Chase Freedom did 5% Amazon in Q4 last year and is doing grocery stores now, so that's an opportunity to stock up (up to $1500 quarterly max spending) vs. my 3% Amazon Visa.

On the subject of reward points, do consumers really ever shop for merchandise in those dumb "Rewards Mall" storefronts using points to purchase actual stuff vs. statement credits, cash back, gift cards, travel, and charity? Those items all seem so hilariously overpriced that I can't believe these companies spend time and money keeping them posted.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

cheese posted:

I know you are not supposed to cancel a card, but just how damaging would it be if I eventually canceled my Wells Fargo card? Or should I just put the card in my lock box and let it rot?

Do like my first CC and enable autopay, and put a cheap recurring bill on there (e.g. Netflix) so they don't shut it down for inactivity, but you're also not too far on the hook if something goes wrong with the payments and you don't notice for a while.

If you don't want to bother tracking the card through Mint or online/paper statements, or you're worried that if ID theft or some other fraud on the account could occur without you noticing on a seldom-used account, then just close it down. The good history it has continues in your report for a long time.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

Dead Pressed posted:

To me, it's not worth the hassle for a temporary bump in credit score. I'd close them, credit has a way of working itself out if you're not a poo poo.

Not only that, but a closed account can't get fraudulent charges made put on there. Maybe it's not a problem if you use something like Mint to monitor all your accounts regularly, but if you don't check these unused cards ever, bad stuff could be going on without your knowledge.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

Wow, that sounds pretty great. When I drop my Costco membership (didn't get much out of it due to my single guy lifestyle) around the same time Amex drops the credit card, I think I'll switch over to that bad boy instead of closing my account like I'd planned.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

Just got the terms and conditions on the upcoming Costco Visa, and its non-qualifying conditions for gas are perplexing (emphasis mine):

quote:

You week only earn 1% cash back, not 4%, for gas purchased at superstores, supermarkets, convenience stores and warehouse clubs other than Costco our for fuel use for non-automobile purposes.
I get the supermarket and superstore exclusions, but convenience store? Every place around me except Costco is one of those exceptions; almost every gas station is also a convenience store. I don't think there exists a so-called standalone gas station in Texas, in that case.

Am I interpreting that line correctly?

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

wyoak posted:

It's should be down to how Visa codes the merchant - you can use Visa's site to check: https://www.visa.com/supplierlocator/search/index.jsp

Most gas stations with a shop attached will code correctly as a gas station

Perfect, thank you. All my usual fuel haunts code as gas stations.

Looks like this Visa will take the place of both my Costco Amex AND my Amazon Rewards card in my physical wallet as well since it's better than the Amazon card for all its reward categories except for groceries and Amazon.com itself.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I got my Costco Visa which will replace the Amex I have in 2 weeks. Only have had it for one year. Is it really worth switching the Amex to a no annual fee replacement just to maintain the active line of credit, given that I have no other Anex cards currently?

I don't foresee myself using it anywhere the Costco Visa wouldn't be better (I'd probably out a recurring monthly sub on it like I do for Netflix on my CU's card).

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

Looking to get about $18-20k in home improvements done on my house. I planned to pay the majority of it in cash, but are there any good rewards cards for me that might be worth signing up for a new one at $5k or so?

I've got the Costco Visa for most of my purchases, Chase Freedom and Amex Blue (whichever has no annual fee, switched over from their Costco card), and the Amazon Vida that I solely use on Amazon.

I'm not a frequent traveler (maybe 3-4 hotel nights a year, and one domestic or international trip, usually). I also don't spend a lot on shopping or eating out. But I don't really know what's out there and if I could use some optimization. I wasn't sure if I should just stick with my cash back cards, search for something new that's a good lifestyle fit, or something that's really just for this one house project.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

Ahh, thanks. I should've mentioned this'll be work through a contractor for both materials and labor, for things I can't practically buy and provide myself due to selection, weight, and the contractor's builder agreements (full siding and windows replacement). Seems like there's a lot less benefit them if I can't milk a hardware store for sweet rewards in the process. A CSP would be nice for minor travel perks, seems like, but I don't know if I can justify the fee based on how much I travel.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

Yeah I've got the cash banked, although I'd have to eat into my ~9 month emergency fund and drop it down to about 3 months if I pay it all at once.

I do also have a HELOC that I opened last year in anticipation of this project and eventual re-roofing, but between my roommate's rent and ESPP doing well this year, I don't think I'll have to use it.

The price I have from the contractor is the cash price, and he responded yesterday that some or all can go into cards, but didn't tell me the upcharge to do so. Anyway, that theoretical 3-5% charge is which is why I'm considering only putting the minimum onto a card for maximizing signup rewards. I hadn't considered multiple cards, not that I particularly want a bunch more of them to track and hold open for a year or two at least. I'll have to give that more thought, thanks.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Having the cash banked for a project like this means being able to pay in full at the time the work is done without dipping into an emergency fund.

Fair point. Between then and actual payment, I'll have another ESPP lot to sell and 2 more paychecks incoming, so even the emergency fund shouldn't be a problem.

On top of that, the contractor replied and said they don't charge extra for a CC, so now the prospect of opening a card or two starts to look a lot juicier. Might do a lot more on cards than I'd originally planned!

SpelledBackwards fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Oct 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

FISHMANPET posted:

not sure if it's an issue with early chip technology

You may be shocked, SHOCKED to learn that chip technology for use in securing credit cards has been in use for around 40 years, starting in France.