Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

How fast and how high does credit shoot up once you have your cards drop from high utilization to <30%? I finally got a wrangle of my money and can pay off my credit card in the next few months. I'd like to get a cash back card instead of this terrible amex starter card I got when I was in college. Current score is 615ish due to defaulting on student loans back in the day but have since paid them all off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

My girlfriend was in a similar position with no credit history and got approved for a low limit card from capital one. Once she has 3 months of on time payments an automatic increase will occur. It's pretty easy to get an unsecured card it seems

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

asur posted:

What does this even mean?

I imagine it is something about keeping your statement balance under 30% when it is reported but still paying everything off

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Yes

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Got approved of the Citi Double Cash with an initial limit of $900. What are the chances of calling customer service right off the bat and trying to get that raised a bit?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Apparently Citi is about to update their interface

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

The citi double cash is pretty nice but a slightly less known perk is the rewind feature. Buy something online and citi will do a search for 60 days looking for s cheaper price and give you a refund of the difference. So far I've gotten $6 but hey it's something. :toot:

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

EugeneJ posted:

Is Citi Double Cash still the best cash-back card?

For general usage and not trying to game quarterly categories yea.

Their Price Rewind feature is pretty cool and they just started offering your FICO score for free so that's nice.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Blakkout posted:

Does anyone know where I can find information about the credit score needed to get approved for the Citi Double Cash Card? I've had one credit card for three years, so I'm relatively new to the credit card game, but I recently found out my score is 794. I'd really like to figure out which cards I'm likely to be approved for before picking one.

I remember being in a similar position when I got mine. I think nerd wallet and their reviews has people mention their score. Or maybe it was credit karma. Either way try those.

For what it's worth I got approved with a lower score than that. While it was only approved for 900 at first it really isn't a problem if it's general spending and you stay on top of throwing money at constantly. Until I was able to raise my limit I would easily have a couple thousand of spending while still maintaining a <10% utilization.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

https://www.cardbenefits.citi.com/Dashboard.aspx

I use the Citi FICO score and Rewind regularly.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

The Electronaut posted:

Amex has a 35k point sign up bonus for the SPG card. All the blogs are going bonkers.

How much is that worth roughly

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I'd feel bad that I've more or less capped my credit score due to an old student loan default that's been settled but I'm not getting a house anytime soon so whatever.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Jacobin posted:

Well,

Today&yesterday I activated my Secured OpenSky Visa & Chase Slate card and made small bill payments utilizing under 30% with both of them. Set up auto-deducts from my Chq acct to pay the statements in full on billing day. I plan to repeat this cycle.

I guess I feel relieved about finally being able to 'do something' to build credit history. Any major tips on anything else to expect?

Nope that's about it. Credit isn't "free money" and should always be allocated with money from a checking or savings account prior to any purchase on the card. Keep that in mind, make payments in full every month, and keep utilization low (even if you need to make multiple mini payments throughout the month) and you'll be just fine.

You know you have a decent credit history once you start receiving credit card offers in the mail.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Xom posted:

Today I read the price rewind details on my card (I have the Citi double cash) and I called customer service saying "So if Store A has something for $100 + $0 shipping and Store B has it for $80 + $20 shipping, I can buy from Store A and get $20 back by comparing to Store B!?" and they said yes.

Will they cancel my card if I lose them "too much" money?

You are hardly making them lose money. You'll be fine.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Get a secured card with a limit of like $100 on it. Use it and pay it off every month. There is no downside to having credit and it is how the world works these days where you are required to have it in order to do some pretty basic things. Once you have a year on that secured card you can move to a regular unsecured card if you need.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Damnit I use my BoA credit card once every 6 months or so for some bullshit purchase just to keep it in good standing. I want free money :(

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Get a Charles Schwab checking account at the least. No ATM fees internationally and no foreign transaction fees on everything else.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

VorpalBunny posted:

I just want to give a quick thanks to the goons who recommended a Schwab checking account for international travel. I just got approved and we leave in 2 weeks, so hopefully I'll get my card in time and can fund it.

I initially checked with my regular credit union, they had no ATM network connection in Europe and charge a 1% fee for all withdrawals, in addition to whatever the foreign ATM fee charged. And they had no foreign currency in house and had no way to get any. I immediately drove down the street to Schwab who explained how to open an account online. Boom. We're hitting 4 countries in 3 weeks next month, and now I don't have to worry about ATM fees or currency exchanges!

On another note, I just got an email from SPG for the new AMEX SPG card with the $450 annual fee. It is so very tempting for 125k points after 5k spend in 3 months, and automatic status is always fun. Is this a targeted offer or is this what everyone else has access to?

If you call customer service and explain your situation they should next day fedex your card

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Just spend 50 bux on it.

I forgot to do that for my very first credit card and they closed an account I had since 2006

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I use mine for the straight cash value to my statement but if they end up doing something where a point can go further that'd be cool

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I would just buy a tank of gas once every 6 months or a year to keep it active. I accidentally let my first credit card get canceled after I got my adult daily driver. Whoops! RIP that 12 year history

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Unsinkabear posted:

Condolences on your $9, and thank you for reminding me why I prefer to prioritize SUBs before categories

SUBs over clubs