Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I could use a recommendation, I've had a credit card for years but I've never really thought that much about rewards, and I'm sure I could do better than the US Bank rewards Visa I currently have. I think I get 1% cash back (with a fair amount of restrictions, iirc), plus 2-5% on categories selected quarterly, which of course I never remember to select.

I'm not in a position to do much traveling, so a travel rewards card isn't super appealing, but I wouldn't rule one out, honestly. I think cash back probably makes the most sense for my situation. Pretty much has to be Visa for various reasons. Looking at the Nerdwallet list, it looks like the Capital One Quicksilver is probably the best? I'd be interested to hear if there's a better option, or if there's some aspect I'm not thinking of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

pseudorandom posted:

If you have an account with them, Fidelity's reward card is a 2% cashback visa. It doesn't have some of the perks of the Citi Double Cash, but it fits your requirement of it being a Visa.

I'd definitely go with Girbot's suggestion and try to get a rough idea of how much you spend in different categories to see if there's any cards that would give you higher rewards in the areas of your highest spending. Hell, the best choice for cashback could even be a retail card if you shop at one place frequently.

Yeah that's all good info, thanks! I'll ponder whether I "need" a Visa, tbh I was thinking of getting a different card as a replacement for the one card I use, but honestly it might work fine for me to get something like the Citi Double Cash for everyday use, and just keep my US Bank Visa handy for the instances where I need it.

And yeah, I'll take a look at my spending data in YNAB to see if there's any standout categories that might translate to a specific card. Are there broad reward card categories that I should keep in mind? I assume restaurants, travel, and fuel related cards are all reasonably common?

I'll definitely take a look to see if there's a store-specific card that makes sense, though I don't know that there's one that makes a lot of sense. I have the Amazon Prime Visa but use it almost exclusively for purchases on Amazon, since it's 5% rewards there and (usually) 1% for any other purchase.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

The Chase Amazon VISA also gives 2% at gas stations, restaurants, and drug stores.

Oh I missed that, thanks! That actually makes it a better fit than most, since I think most of my monthly spending (that would earn me rewards on any card) is at Amazon, gas stations, and restaurants. I'm not sure what that says about me as a person.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

TheEye posted:

If you spend a lot at Amazon, you should probably get that card regardless. Even if you have better cards for the other categories, just tie it to your Amazon account for 5% back and leave it in a drawer.

I've got it already actually, I make a lot of side-job purchases on Amazon. I just had never really thought much about using it anywhere else, in part because I (lazily) assumed it was just a flat 1% back on any non-Amazon purchases.

I'm thinking I'll probably start carrying my Amazon card for restaurants/gas, get the Citi Double Cash for other online storefronts (Steam/Playstation/Nintendo, looking at you) and subscription services, use it when I think of it on day-to-day stuff, and just keep the US Bank card for when I need a Visa handy.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

You can buy PlayStation Store and Nintendo estore gift cards on Amazon, just sayin'.

I do this occasionally, but they're usually cheaper on Raise.com or through some of the massbuy sites, even accounting for the 5% back. As is I don't have a card that would get me more than a flat 1% back on Raise.com or the like.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Boris Galerkin posted:

Might want to update in big words the date you last updated it, even though nobody will read it.

Honestly this would be useful, I came to the thread, saw the first page was from 2014, and assumed the OP was out of date. I just got lucky that this exact thing was being discussed on the most recent page, lol

Strong Sauce posted:

Anyone tried the venmo card? says 3% on first cat, 2% on 2nd category, 1% on everything else. no fee for the card . only negative is they're promoting turning cash back into crypto.

I came here to ask exactly this, I have a couple of cards that go above 2% but on fixed categories, so it'd be nice to have a card dedicated to, like, groceries and get a little more back on it. I thought about the Chase Freedom Flex but looking at the rotating categories there's frequently only one that I ever really use, and not much at that.

MockingQuantum fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Mar 21, 2024

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

or the time they had to pay the largest ever FINRA penalty at $70 million for misleading customers and trading outages, or the time their broken website let people basically trade on infinite leverage, or the time the college kid committed suicide because their broken website displayed an account balance in the negative six figures. There's really never been a time where Robinhood didn't have at least a little fly-by-night startup stink to them, and I don't think offering a bunch of benefits that make most reasonable investors go "where's the catch" is going to change that perception

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Credit utilization (the ratio of your available credit to your used credit) has some bearing in determining your credit score, but I'm not sure to what degree, and I don't know how much it will matter if you're paying the card off monthly. In general having a higher credit limit on one card helps your credit utilization across multiple loans and cards, so personally I just request a credit limit raise every once in a while on cards that I use a lot, but I have no idea if $400 would make a big difference or not.

I also have no idea if secured credit factors into credit ratings differently than unsecured credit, someone smarter than me in here will probably know

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

THF13 posted:

You don't even need to transfer them, the "thank you points" for multiple citi cards can be linked into a single pool.

Is this something you have to do manually, or are they all part of the same rewards dashboard in the app or whatever?

Nitrousoxide posted:

It is apparently possible to redeem your Citi "thank you" points toward your mortgage or student loans at the 1 point = 1 cent rate. Which, when combined with the interest savings by putting this toward your principal amount, probably nets you an effective 2-3x value for those points depending on your interest rate.

This is interesting but it sounds like it's enough of a hassle (you have to call in to redeem points for this, and I couldn't find any evidence of it when I was searching around the site) that at that point I feel like it'd make more sense to redeem them as cash back and either pay it towards my mortgage directly, or more likely just stick the money in an investment account that's highly likely to gain a better return than my mortgage rate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Nitrousoxide posted:

Yeah,

Its the sort of thing that would be too much of a chore to do more than once a year I'd think. But the ROI on early principal payoff for a mortgage is certainly higher than a saving or checking account. And I'm doubtful that taking the 50% hit to the value of the points for a direct cash back would ever be made up with the higher returns for invested money compared to keeping it all plus mortgage rate returns.

The absolute best return would probably be being able to forgo some expense you would otherwise had to endure at a 1:1 points to cent ratio and then investing that forgone expense.

Buying extra stuff you don't need with the points, or even worse, buying part of something you don't need with the points and making up the remainer with real money is worse than getting nothing back at all.

Where are you seeing that it's half a cent per point for cash back? It's always been one point = 1 cent for me on the Citi Double Cash