Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

ETB posted:

The fact that you weren't carrying a balance at all meant you weren't really building your score.

Jesus Christ stop spreading this poo poo. It's wildly incorrect. He was building credit by length of account being open. Utilization has no history component to it. It resets every time it's reported.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Deviantfish posted:

I've got two cards right now, a lovely 1% cash back Wells Fargo card that came with my account, which I've had for about three years, and the Fidelity Amex which I just opened. I've been maintaining sub-30% utilization on the Wells Fargo since I've had it, and my score is in the upper 700's. Would it be worth it to try to get a Citi double cash card as well in the near future, and rotating between that and the Amex to keep utilization down?

Yes. The extra 1% cash back will probably be worth it as opening another card won't hurt your credit much over the short term, and only help over the long term. I use my fidelity 2% back everywhere that accepts Amex and my Cap One Ventures everywhere that doesn't.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

SaltLick posted:

How fast and how high does credit shoot up once you have your cards drop from high utilization to <30%? I finally got a wrangle of my money and can pay off my credit card in the next few months. I'd like to get a cash back card instead of this terrible amex starter card I got when I was in college. Current score is 615ish due to defaulting on student loans back in the day but have since paid them all off.

Utilization has no history. Only current utilization is included in your score. So as soon as your cc companies report that month's utilization, it will hit your score.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Blinky2099 posted:

Ahh okay, got it. It looks like the Sallie Mae 5% and Citi Double Cash 2% can both actually be used directly for cash statements, so I'll just go with those for simplicity. Thanks.

Is the Sallie Mae card true cash back or is it only applicable to you student loan?

Can you even get one if you don't have a student loan with them?

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

khysanth posted:

Sallie Mae MasterCard and Citi Double Cash are probably your two best bets.

I would add Fidelity Amex in the mix. Also 2% cash, no annual fee.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

lmao zebong posted:

Wouldn't the Fidelity Amex serve the same purpose as the Citi Double Cash card without the extra step of transferring money out of a Fidelity account? Unless I'm missing something I don't see a reason for him to have both.

Well this isn't the case anymore as of April, but you can use the Amex at Costco. You can also get a statement credit with the Fidelity Amex instead of cash back.

E: and it wasn't necessarily get both as it was "consider this on the short list"

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

pig slut lisa posted:

Just to clarify, it's not the case anymore as of April 2016, so you still have ~15 months

Oh I'm dumb. I thought it was this April and was pissed off. Getting 4% back at Costco has been an incredible ride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Mofabio posted:

Oh man, I feel like I'm spoiled with the Barclay's site. Citi's and Fidelity's sites look like school projects.

Yeah, anyone that complains about the barclays site hasn't used the Fidelity credit card one.