Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I decided I would close a credit card - the one I've been paying off on time more than a decade - and open a new one. My credit score subsequently dropped by over 100 points. This is a problem as I am about to apply for a mortgage. Is there anything I can do to unfuck this? Reopen the account?

This whole system is loving bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

So I looked into it and I actually massively misremembered things. I didn't close my card and open a new one, I just got a new physical card. I looked into getting a new CC but didn't end up doing it. There hasn't been a real change in my credit in ages. I just have one credit card I've paid every month for more than a decade, I have literally never missed a payment once.

So my credit score dropped ~130 points for absolutely no reason that I can see. This is according to Experian.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Ninja edit above, but it's direct from Experian. There's nothing new on there. No new hard inquiries, no new debt, no missed payments, nothing. Just a great big gently caress you to my previously awesome credit score right when I need it most.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

According to the lender I'm working with, it makes a lot of difference. They did a hard pull just before the magic drop, which is still good through August 6. Right now I qualify for 5.4%. If they had pulled the magic drop number, I would not even qualify for 7%. That's despite no actual change in my credit info. What the gently caress?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

asur posted:

Did your credit usage change? Credit usage under 5% is good and it's not difficult to shoot a single card through the roof accidentally if the credit limit is low.
No, it actually went down a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

My financial picture is very unusual in that I have a terrific credit score from having paid off one card every month for over a decade, and plenty enough assets to cover the debt I have (which is just a large mortgage) but due to a career change a much lower income relative to that debt. I went to apply for another card with better rewards but was rejected because of a high debt-to-income ratio. Are there other cards I can apply for that take into account my assets as well?