Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I have taken out 2 money loans in the last 6 months with Regions, which my rep told me would help build my credit, and paid them back on time. However, I still can't get any of the student cards, or cards for people with "little or no credit".

This is getting frustrating. I wish rent payments and utilities counted for credit, I've been paying that for 2 years.

SSJ_naruto_2003 fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Nov 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Dengraz posted:

Find a "secured" credit card to apply for and use that/pay it off for a few months. That is usually enough to qualify you for student cards, etc.

Is that the one where you put down $200 as a deposit for $200 limit?

Would closing it after I got done hurt my score too much, and do they typically have annual fees?

EDIT: Most do have annual fees, and the capitalone secured card looks best, but I really, really hate having to pay fees when I'm poor already.

SSJ_naruto_2003 fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Nov 7, 2014

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

nickutz posted:

They may be able to upgrade or product change your secured card to another offering. This will keep the credit line's opening date the same on your credit report.

Ah, cool, I'll go ahead and ask them about it before I get it.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Dengraz posted:

Check with your bank or credit union first. Often you can "graduate" or convert your card from a secured to an unsecured version. Capital One does this, but has a small annual fee on the secured card. I'd suggest googling around for decent ones.

I did google around, and theirs was the only one I could find that looked halfway decent. There's one with no fee but I think it requires you to physically come to their branch and sign up.

My local CU doesn't offer it, sadly.