Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
With the fee that card is not at all worth it unless you want to get the signup bonus and cancel it in the first year. If you want ease of use get one of the 2% cards and if you're ok with two cards add a gas specific card. This is even if you're getting the 50% bonus, if you aren't then it's even worse and the 1.5% Capital One card is probably better and doesn't charge a fee.

Missed the part about the fee being waived, but still think you can do better.

asur fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Nov 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Mobius posted:

I have an old Capital One No Hassle Rewards (1% cash back) card that I got for an overseas trip a few years ago because I wanted a card with no foreign exchange fees. Now, I only have one automatic monthly bill charging to it, just to keep it active. Today, I got home and discovered a Quicksilver card in my mailbox, which I didn't request. It has the same number as my No Hassle card. I was confused, so I called customer service and apparently I was automatically upgraded. She assured me there were no fees or anything, but I'm basically skeptical of any financial institution just volunteering to give me more money.

Is there a catch? Or should I go ahead and activate the new card?

There may be a change in terms or interest rate, but for the factors that people care about on a rewards card the Quicksilver is better, 1.5% cash back no FtF and no annual fee. It's possible that they just phased out your old card.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

TastyLemonDrops posted:

Am I overlooking something, or is this as good as I think it is? Combining the Chase Freedom and Chase Sapphire Preferred bonuses, and then transferring them to the Southwest card (after meeting the spends) results in 100k points, a mere 10k short of a promotion Southwest is running where you get a free companion ticket for every one you purchase. What are the better airlines cards factoring in other cards where you can transfer points?

you might want to double check this. A quick look seems to indicate that sign up bonuses from SW cards count, but transfer from Chase Ultimate do not. You can apparently bypass this by transferring to Hyatt first, but it's a 2 - 1 transfer from Hyatt to SW. The easiest way I've heard is to apply for two of the SW cards with 50k offers.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Bisty Q. posted:

:what:

Even the highest interest-bearing savings account yields are 1% or barely above. The FIA Amex gives you 2% on everything. How do you figure a savings account outperforms rewards?

The points don't generate interest. This isn't relavent if you can convert them to cash, but the person who originally asked is using a card where you get 2.2% when the points are spent on travel so not only are the points limited in use, but they may fit in the account till you have a travel expense.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Raymn posted:

A number of years ago I had a bankruptcy discharged. After that I got a bad credit score card from Capitol One that has a yearly fee just so I have a card for emergencies. Since then I've never really carried a balance but USAA refuses to give me a normal credit card. I apply about once a year and am always denied. I haven't really applied at multiple places since I figure they'll likely end up the same? I would like to get a card where i don't pay a fee for it especially since I never really use the card but it seems like I'm kind of screwed right now. Anyone have any experience getting back onto the wagon of normal cards? Am I going to have to wait until it falls off?

Either walk into a USAA branch or call up their customer service line and ask why you've been denied or if there's anything you can do. If that doesn't work you can try either converting your Capital One card to a normal credit card or I think Discover has a no fee secured card.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Raymn posted:

I don't think USAA has any branches other than a couple maybe in Texas. I was going to call them up though since I didn't realize you could ask for a reconsideration. I called Capitol One earlier this year asking if I could convert it and was told I could not.

According to the USAA Locator they have branches all over the place where you can talk to representatives. Calling them, at least as a first option, is probably better or at least quicker. Also did you ask Capital One why they wouldn't let you convert or try to apply for a normal card?

asur
Dec 28, 2012
As far as I can tell Amex doesn't show the entire card number online. You may have better luck with Citi as they have an online option for a temporary card number for use for online transactions.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

SpelledBackwards posted:

How do merchants report cash-like portions of a purchase? Is it split out?

Say I have a 2% groceries cash back reward and at the local grocery store I get $100 in groceries and a $100 Amazon gift card all on one receipt. I'd only earn $2 in rewards points and not $4, correct?

You earn $4. Merchants don't report what is in the transaction.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

SpelledBackwards posted:

It seems too easy to game then that it really surprises me if they don't split it out. My Chase Freedom did 5% Amazon in Q4 last year and is doing grocery stores now, so that's an opportunity to stock up (up to $1500 quarterly max spending) vs. my 3% Amazon Visa.

On the subject of reward points, do consumers really ever shop for merchandise in those dumb "Rewards Mall" storefronts using points to purchase actual stuff vs. statement credits, cash back, gift cards, travel, and charity? Those items all seem so hilariously overpriced that I can't believe these companies spend time and money keeping them posted.

It's one of the reasons why they have the spending limits.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
No one is going to not sign up for a card because the bonus miles take to the next billing cycle or longer to deposit. It's an inconvenience, but it's not what the two cards are competing on.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Richard M Nixon posted:

If I open a card, use it for the sign-up bonus, then close it out (because gently caress fees), after a few months there won't be any net impact on my credit, right? The average age, utilization, etc will all be where they were because the card is closed?

Credit applications generally cause hard inquires which cause your credit score to decrease.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
The advice I've always seen is to keep them open as long as possible, so 11ish months, so that it's not completely obvious that you're churning bonuses. There's rumors that providers may blacklist or deny opening more accounts if you close the card right after you get the sign up bonus, though as far as I now it's unsubstantiated. As far as number of cards to apply and in what amount of time, I would just open cards whenever you complete the sign up bonus of the last card. The system is self limiting as if a specific provider think you are opening to many cards, then they'll just deny your application. At that point you can try calling and if that doesn't work either switch or just wait.

I just want to make one thing clear. If you have a reason to care about your credit score, which would generally be that you plan on buying a house or car in the next year or so, then you should not be churning credit cards. There are a lot of factors that play into a credit score so it's hard to say definitively what will happen as circumstances are different fro everyone, but in general this activity leads to a lower score that is easily recoverable.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Revitalized posted:

Newbie here, made up some numbers:

Payment Amount
Next Minimum Payment: $30.00
Last Statement Balance: $400.00
Current Balance: $600.00

When you say full statement balance, does that mean "Last Statement Balance" ?

Paying the "Next Minimum Payment" is basically the "Should I keep a balance to build up credit" train of thought right?

Yes, if you the pay the Last Statement Balance before the due date you won't be charged interest.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Pompous Rhombus posted:

They're also in charge of the credit card number, it sounds like.

It took less than a week to recieve my Chase BA card with a previous Avios account.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
It's going to be highly dependent on the flights you take. My personal experience was 60k points for a $1500 flight which is 2.5 cents a point. If you fly business instead you'd probably be up to 4 cents or so.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

SiGmA_X posted:

Fantastic! Thanks for the info guys and/or gals! Hopefully I have good enough credit to get another card so soon, we'll find out tomorrow! I'm not going to be getting a mortgage anytime soon so idgaf about another hard pull.

Which is the best card to get for an Avios signup? I think Credit Karma said Chase Sapphire had a 50k signup bonus now. Their site won't work on my phone and I'm not home so I can't verify that now though.

Sign up for the British Airways card. Id save Chase Sapphire for later as Ultimate Rewards points canbe transferred to a lot of places.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

dexter6 posted:

I see people asking for chip-card recommendations.

What is the driver of this request? I've never cared what technology is on my card - should I?

Visiting or living in Europe, or lots of other countries outside the U.S. Some kiosks will only take chip and pin, and people have said they've has chip and sig rejected though that's never happened to me. In theory a card with a mag strip should work almost anywhere, but it's just annoying as people take forever to figure it out and if you don't speak the language it's a hassle.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
BA isn't that great for long distance flights as their chart is mileage based. You also probably need to fly a partner airline as you don't want to fly through London on BA award flight as they add really high fuel surcharges when you do. I'd definitely look into how many points you need compared to other airlines before committing and if there is an additional amount you have to pay.

edit: For sign up bonuses, I haven't heard of a credit card company only allowing you to get one bonus across all their products. Some, like Amex now, will only allow you get the sign up bonus for a specific product once.

asur fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Feb 5, 2015

asur
Dec 28, 2012
You can book American Airlines through BA so you could look into that card and the BA card and book an AA flight. Million mile secrets has a series of articles on booking with BA points, I found the taxes and fees article useful. You can transfer Chase UR points to United, so the United card and Sapphire is an option, same with Delta (through Korean Air) and there's a Delta card that I think has a 50k bonus currently.

asur fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Feb 6, 2015

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Insane Totoro posted:

Some people auto pay a certain amount every month just so that they have a "tickler" to pay their bill in full before the bill actually becomes past due.

What does this even mean?

asur
Dec 28, 2012
If you haven't gotten the sign up bonus you should apply instead of converting.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Dengraz posted:

Yeah that's probably a good idea - I just don't want to lose the credit history since my Costco card is pretty old.

Amex is unique in that they back date all cards to your oldest card.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
It would mean that it's only partially secured and I wouldn't worry about it.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
Apply for a card with no forex fees? It takes less than 2 weeks to receive acard in generally and if you call they might rush it. Also get a bank that doesn't charge ATM fees and reimburses them.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
It's also an opportunity to get 100k AA miles since US and AA are merging. You can get 50k AA points through CiTi for 3k spend in 3 months with the annual fee waived and then the Barclays US card is 50k miles when you pay the annual fee, $89, and make a purchase. A 100k miles is a round trip business class ticket to Europe as an example so it's pretty ridiculous value, though having to pay an annual fee is a minor downside.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
A business class ticket to Europe isn't worth $89? I'm skeptical that you can't find flights in the US where 50k miles would be worth more than $89, but international flights are where miles payoff. Cards like Barclay Arrival+ are good if you want flexibility and basically straight cash, but if you want to fly internationally and are willing to work around award redemption limitations then miles are a significantly better value. This is doubly true if you want to fly business or first class. You aren't really tied to the airline either, you're making a couple of flights and you have a couple years to do it in. I don't think I'd recommend signing up for credit card bonuses without a plan, but miles can significantly reduce the cost of travel.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

dexter6 posted:

I'm going to be traveling to London (or having my London friend come to DC) a bunch. It looks like purchasing a coach fare is ~$1k. Using AA miles, however, I can get there for 40k round trip.

Which credit cards would be best for me to churn to get miles that will help me get to an from UK frequently? I've already got the Barclays US Air, Citi American and Amex Starwood cards, so those are probably off limits for now.

Thanks!

You're probably going to have to fly a different airline or book via a partner. I'd look into United Mileage Explorer, Delta Gold Skymiles, the BA card, and Chase Sapphire Preffered.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
Sign up bonuses are to entice you to become a customer and spend money with their cards. If you're already a customer they don't need to advertise the sign up bonuses. You can still receive them if you sign up for the card under an offer that gives one.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Boris Galerkin posted:

Am I going to get any warnings or notifications that my 1 year is coming up so that I can cancel before I get hit with another year's worth of dues, or should I just set a calendar event for 1 year on my phone right now?

I've never seen a credit card give a warning or notification about the annual fee so I would not expect one. Are you expecting a confirmation email of that you are approved for the card or the signup bonus? The norm seems to be that you receive the first and nothing about the signup bonus ever.

For whoever asked about time until the miles are in your account. The timing is from when you pay the annual fee and make a purchase, not the statement date and you can pay the fee immediately if you want to speed up the process.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
You can try calling, but I don't think any of the cards that I've personally signed up for have had any information about the associated sign up bonus. I don't even remember it showing up in the package that you get with the card in the mail, but I could be mistaken there since I normally just skim it.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
Where do you see this change? I can't find anything in Google search resulting indicating a change if you are the account owner. I think there was a change where they weren't automatically back dating for people who were added as authorized users.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
Can the Chase offer be done online? When I looked at it last month it seemed like you had to stop by a Chase branch to open the accounts.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
The City Simplicity has a 3% balance transfer charge and Capital One points seem kind of mediocre though I guess that depends on the exact use.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
It varies between 40k and 50k I believe.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Shadowhand00 posted:

Some offers are really dumb but there are occasional gems like the Amex Platinum 100k points for $3k spend that I wish they would send me :(

I've heard of people getting the offers just from calling Amex up and asking so you could try that.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

hbf posted:

Cap1 quicksilver has an annual fee after the first year ($59). Just fyi.

No, it does not.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
Miles are generally worth more than cash back, but you need to be flexible to use them as awards may be limited both in location and time. Choosing a miles card, and I'm lumping cards that can transfer to airlines like Chase UR, Amex MR, etc, requires research to effectively use. Cash back on the other hand is simplistic, and Citi Double Cash with 2% is a good place to start.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

hbf posted:

Woops was thinking of the Venture card. Didn't realize the Quicksilver didn't have foreign trans fee and an EMV.

So opinions on Cap1 Quicksilver vs BoA Travel Rewards? Looking mainly for a card to use traveling in Europe with no fees. Don't bank with BoA or have any other Cap1 products.

Both are fine, but I'd go for the Barclay Arrival+ if you want a simple card. There' a signup bonus, the annual fee is waived the first year and you earn 2.2% if you redeem awards against travel expenses on the card.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Untagged posted:

Just got the card with 30K! :argh:.

Doesn't hurt to call and ask to change it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asur
Dec 28, 2012
There are multiple Chase United credit cards as well, one of which has a decent signup bonus.