Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Anybody else on their third or fourth card this year? I'm guessing it's related to Home Depot or other breaches but my main card has been flagged for fraud on attempted purchases and reisueed four times so far this year. Just happened again at four in the morning when someone tried to charge a few bucks at a gas station in Florida. Sure seems like it's happening more and more often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

The latest card I had to have replaced post dates HD and Target so I'm guessing there was another big event we may or may not ever hear about. Or I'm just unlucky.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

Rurutia posted:

I'm really annoyed at my credit score. It's inexplicably going down and it's hit the lowest it's been since I was 19 (720). I've pulled two of my credit reports and nothing's awry. The only bad thing on my credit report is one late payment 4 years ago. Other than that, I have 11 accounts that are always paid in full every month. I just don't get it. But it's annoying as poo poo because I've gotten declined from so many rewards credit cards, and the only credit card offers are balance transfers or low APR. And I've never carried a balance even, so what the gently caress man.

Eugh.

There's a few magic numbers that are % thresholds of available credit that if you cross they trigger a drop in FICO. Ten years ago they used to be like 33% and 66% and if you crossed that as a balance of total line of credit it's considered a red flag, but in FICO's ever changing clandestine secret algorithm should be illegal horseshit these thresholds keep getting fiddled with, I've heard about it happening as low as 15% for whatever stupid reason. So ideally just avoid ever utilizing more than 10% of your available credit line at any point, even if you pay it off the day after. So try to get that massive line of credit on any individual card and pay if off once a week if you have to to avoid utilizing much of it.

It's either that or people are running credit checks on you that you don't know about, either for some sort of background check or just fraudulent applications.

Having 11 accounts is too many, you want two or three tops with as high a limit as you can possibly find but closing accounts triggers a drop too so just go back in time and don't open so many.

Pryor on Fire fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Dec 10, 2014

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

Usually yeah, unless you're buying a house in the next three years or so I wouldn't sweat the difference between 700 and 800 at all. Get them miles/gift cards/discounts instead, go hog wild!

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

Nope, number of accounts open is one of the factors. It's generally not a huge factor unless you regularly have balances on a large number of accounts but it still holds your score down. And the utilization is calculated on each individual line as well as across all cards.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

asur posted:

If you aren't buying a house or a car, then stop caring about your FICO score.

You should care anyway because FICO is increasingly being used to evaluate your worthiness in other areas like employment background checks and home/auto/medical insurance and people are finding lots of doors close or become a lot more expensive to go through with lovely credit.

Pryor on Fire fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Mar 14, 2016

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

There used to be a huge thread covering checking account and other banking bonuses, along with free referral chains and whatnot, I think it was in coupons?

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

I'm new at this, when you sign up for a baller card like this CSR and you are presented with offers like airport lounge access and avis preferred status and tsa pre check credit fee and whatever else, are these all as 100% baller as heeeeelllllll like they sound or should I be watching out for gotchas or generally losing propositions?

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

Yeah the obvious follow up is where does one hide a stack of high limit plastic credit cards and holy gently caress would some junkie feel like god was speaking directly to them and granting all their wishes if they stumbled upon it during a robbery. Christ, you'd never get sober after that sort of spiritual quagmire.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

Well, just experienced a retailer orgasm for the first time when I handed a clerk the CSR. I could get used to this, giving people orgasms loving owns.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

Mine was ups overnight like 2 days after I filled out the csr application. It's pretty baller. I really don't see myself paying this fee more than a year or two though, gonna blow through these points like an accountant in Bangkok.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

I don't care how good the perks on the store card are who the gently caress still goes to JC Penney and Macy's in 2016 and pays double over Amazon? I mean sure there are a few illiterate people who can't get online still but who else?

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

skipdogg posted:

I do. I despise purchasing clothing online. The pricing isn't even near double, but this is nothing but a troll post so I'm questioning myself for even responding to it.

People might disagree with you or have vastly different experiences this doesn't mean they are "trolling" just fyi.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

New chase card offering called ink business preferred

quote:

The card will offer a sign-up bonus of 80,000 Ultimate Rewards points after spending $5,000 within three months
The card will offer triple points on the first $150,000 spent annually on travel, telecommunications, shipping and advertising on social-media and search engines
The card will have a $95 annual fee, which is waived the first year if applying in-branch

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-10-19/jpmorgan-turns-up-heat-on-amex-with-richer-reward-business-card

Chase has been killing it with the higher end cards, I'd expect Citi and BAC to start copying them and offering more options along these lines next year.

I wonder how many pallets of cash Google gave JPMC for the 3x points on advertising spending.

Pryor on Fire fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Oct 20, 2016

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

SA Forums > Discussion > Ask / Tell > BFC > Credit Card Rewards I also turned the $500 spend into $1200 on Predictit

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

Jesus christ, how do you plan to "live off credit cards" for "up 2 months"? Only way that would make sense is if mommy and daddy are paying things like rent I guess?

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

I still don't get why everyone loves Schwab so much. Is it just the free checking/atms?

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

Yes of course a package on a travel site counts as travel spending. No of course credits/refunds do no affect your spend.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

Good job you crazy bastards:

quote:

JPMorgan Chase & Co.’s new Sapphire Reserve credit card will reduce the bank’s profit by $200 million to $300 million in the fourth quarter, according to Chief Executive Officer Jamie Dimon.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-12-06/dimon-says-new-card-cuts-profit-by-up-to-300-million-in-quarter

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

I don't think you understand how the TSA and similar organization work, at no point is there any rational or critical thought applied in any stage of the process. Once you get brought into an organization like that you are trained on lists of lists, you must hit all the items on the lists of lists and that's it. People don't matter, money doesn't matter, nothing matters besides the lists of lists. Once you understand their brains only operate in that mode and stop trying to interact with them like you would a normal human it's much easier to breeze through TSA/customs.

You're not a human, you're an item on a list of lists. Sometimes they'll let you glance at the lists even though they're not supposed to.

*edit or you can just go full Ari Shaffir for maximum entertainment value:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DYiMZNF6ME

Pryor on Fire fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Dec 15, 2016

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

*~these are the financial milestones of our lives~~~~

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

I think if you don't have Prime you stay at 3%, everyone on Prime got upped to 5%.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

Synchrony hosed up my first auto pay somehow leading to fees and interest. Immediately closed my account with them, gently caress that noise.

The fact that they gave me a limit 1/10th as high as all my other cards suggests to me that they are targeting a lower income demographic and maybe exploiting them a bit with horseshit like that.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

I've never had a problem with autopay or had fees/late payments on any service or bank ever besides Synchrony, and I've been banking since the 80s.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

Waroduce posted:

whatever is closest to the client and I fly the airline w the most convenient times

Me my whole life zero regrets high five

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

Apparently Chase just doesn't do retail banking at all in DC, Virginia or Maryland at all. Who knew? I don't think you really need a branch for the card but I could be wrong.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

No, always pull off the full balance every month. If you can't afford to do that then don't get a credit card. If you're talking about transferring balances between your two cards at Chase just go talk to your bank about it, we can't help you without specific dates and numbers and we're not bankers so half of what we say will be wrong.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

Don't worry about how much money you're putting through the card every month and how that affects your credit score day to day. The credit bureaus are constantly changing their rules, much of the advice posted recently in this thread about them is already out of date.

Whether you rack up $3k or not or pay it off in one month or then transfer the balance and then pay it off a week later is all completely irrelevant to your credit score. Stop sweating it. Just pay off the balance every month.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

Perfect timing on the monthly uber credit, not two years too late at all!

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

Most people don't have access to their real FICO, the number that every other bank is offering up to you for free as your "FICO" on their website is actually a bullshit inflated number that is (often) substantially higher than your actual FICO. They offer this to obfuscate the process a bit more and make it less likely you'll dispute anything in your credit report because it's incredibly costly to the bureaus when you do so.

And how on earth this isn't all loving illegal is beyond me, it almost certainly will be one day

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

*edit silly derail

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

So I've got a credit card that I've only ever used on amazon for the amazon % and just got a fraud alert on it, someone made off with $4K in hardware in New Jersey. Do CC scammers just guess card numbers randomly until one works now, or is amazon about to announce the biggest hack ever? The physical card has never been used, and I just went through every online transaction and they were all amazon since getting this account #.

Pryor on Fire fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jun 17, 2017

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

I have never paid attention to any interest rate on any credit card ever and have never paid a penny in interest or any fees/penalties. I'm sure dozens of others here will say the same, it's really not hard to anticipate and plan for most expenses. Guess what you're gonna lose your job someday. Guess what you're gonna need a new car someday. Plan accordingly.

Outside of the healthcare industry anyway, as far as I can tell any minor medical visit results in immediate bankruptcy regardless of any insurance you have or any assets you own 100% of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

It says 5% on all “compras aplazadas” which I understand to mean “paid in installments”.

From the marketing it seems like it’s a card geared to people who want to stretch out big purchases on multiple payments. The card then gives you a fixed interest on the payments.

If the cash back is only for purchases made on an installment plan, I doubt you come out ahead.

If the 5% applies to any purchase, regardless of whether it’s paid in installment, then it seems like a good deal.

I’d double check the actual agreement before signing.

that's not a credit card it's a layaway card