Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baddog
May 12, 2001
So that citibank american airlines card loophole is definitely closed. Just got my 3rd one and it has the "we see you already got a bonus, so gently caress off" language on the welcome letter.

Any idea if I can switch it to something else that *does* have a signup bonus (like a prestige maybe) without taking another hard pull, or did I pretty much just waste one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baddog
May 12, 2001

pig slut lisa posted:

Normally I'd agree, but in the past couple weeks there was a notable round of Citi shutdowns. From what I gather it mostly affected people who were really abusing the system, both from an applications standpoint as well as a manufactured spending standpoint. Having three AA Plats probably doesn't rise to that level. Even so, I personally would not rock the boat with Citi for the next little while.

Hmmm, I guess I definitely don't want to run the risk of getting blackballed by citi. Sticking this card in the drawer along with the other two until cancellation time won't hurt I guess, besides being out a hard pull. I swear, this is the 4th hard pull I've wasted in about six months though. Got hosed by the new chase rule just as they implemented it, had a fiasco with wells fargo over their 5% card which resulted in two pulls for a poo poo version of their card with no offer, and now this.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

khysanth posted:

So my wife got the two Chase Southwest cards (personal Plus/Premiere) for the sign up bonuses to hit the companion pass. We are still shy about ~6k points. I know one option to get the final points is to just buy Choice hotel points and converting them to Southwest Airline points.

Sounds like you already got the 4k for minimum spend, you just want to accelerate the rest to get the pass earlier? Isn't buying points gonna be a lot more expensive than just getting 6k in visa cards for about 50 bucks from the mall and either unloading them via money order or just using them for your spend for awhile?

6k is a lot of amazon credit, but maybe you do 2k in amazon, prepay your netflix/hulu/whatever else spend for a year or two from grocery store gift cards for "free", and do the rest in the visa cards.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

asur posted:

Do you happen to remember how you applied, specific link on flyertalk or just googling the bonus?

just googled the bonus.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Dr Tran posted:

The Citi Costco Visa card is pretty drat good:

4% cash back on eligible gas worldwide, including gas at Costco, for the first $7,000 per year and then 1% thereafter
3% cash back on restaurant and eligible travel purchases worldwide
2% cash back on all other purchases from Costco and Costco.com
1% cash back on all other purchases

No annual fee, but you need to be a Costco member to get it.

https://www.citi.com/credit-cards/creditcards/citi.action?ID=citi-costco-credit-card-conversion

Yah, I want one of these as soon as I can for the 3% restaurant and 2% at costco (replacement for the fidelity amex there). Has there been any word on when non-costco-amex holders can apply?

Baddog
May 12, 2001
Was really drat hard to get a chase hyatt through recon today. They were talking about "too many lines open with us recently" (6 total in 2 years, 4 with chase, 3 of those in past 6 months). That "5 cards max in 24 months" rule applying to cobranded cards as well might be getting a soft launch earlier than expected (middle-end of april).

So if you want a chase ihg or hyatt for the cheap anniversary nights, or trying to get a companion pass with southwest (those are the 4 cards I grabbed), might want to jump on it sooner rather than later if you will be hit by the rule.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

pig slut lisa posted:

It sounds like your issue wasn't 5/24 (a rule which accounts for all recently opened accounts from all lenders), but rather too many recent accounts with Chase itself. Plenty of datapoints on Flyertalk, Reddit, and Doctor of Credit suggest that 5/24 hasn't kicked in yet for co-branded cards.

Yah, I just felt like 3 chase cards in six months wasn't that many, (seeing as how some people have apparently grabbed nearly everything chase offers in the last 2 months), and Chase was maybe tightening up a bit before fully implementing the hard rule. Or I just got someone who was being a pain in the rear end that day.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

baram. posted:

I didn't get accepted automatically though so I have to wait up to 14 days to hear back. :(

Call the recon line and see whats up. I feel like a good percentage of the time if you wait, it goes against you. It might just be an identity verification thing or something.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

DeceasedHorse posted:

As long as you have one MR card (gold, everyday, whatever) your points are safe.

You might want to get the premier rewards gold sooner rather than later; once Amex marks us as an existing customer its harder to get their higher bonuses without VPN fuckery/applying on a different computer. Everyday was 25k for awhile last fall, so it could go up again too.

2nd this. Amex offers are once/lifetime (someone on reddit was saying a lifetime is actually seven years, but who knows what the policy will be then). So maybe hold off on the everyday for the 25k offer. I think 50k on gold is pretty good, although supposedly its been 75k, I haven't seen it (check this spreadsheet - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-O7cxABDN1EGwBn8KXIm4ZZVXA88SVfmv2w4NIIyYvg/edit#gid=1565562899 ).

There are a few more platinums to get as well, and the ameriprise one is no fee first year. And supposedly churnable, although I'm gonna wait a year before trying. Even if I don't get the miles again, no fee first year with $400 in airline credit+global entry+perks is pretty drat good.

Also I got a $75/credit for part of the annual fee when I cancelled a regular platinum about a month early, w/o asking, it just showed up on the last statement. Kinda cool.

Baddog
May 12, 2001
The att access more card, I should be able to just load my amazon account with 2k in gift card purchases (reload direct from amazon) to get 3x on the 2k minimum spend, right?

Just wondering if I'm missing some fine print or something on "3x on online retail sites" that it has to be an actual purchase. I'm pretty sure it would just show up as a 2k amazon charge though....

Baddog
May 12, 2001
Amex charges the highest merchant fees, so thats why small mom/pop places that are running close to the bone don't take them. I just carry a minimum of two cards (actually more like 4 credit cards plus a shitload of gift cards these days!)

Fidelity is replacing its no-fee amex 2% card with a 2% visa btw, just in time for the costco cutover.

Baddog
May 12, 2001
I use the BCP to buy 6% discounted gift cards for almost everything at the grocery store, but especially amazon. And especially when they are offering 4x fuel points for gift cards.

Its not an *amazing* deal or anything, because its capped at 6k/year, so only an extra $166/year over a no-annual-fee 2% everywhere card.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

il serpente cosmico posted:

I applied for a new Costco Citi Visa a couple days ago and found out I was denied today. This seems weird to me. My FICO is 780, and I've never been late on a payment. I have three other cards--a USAA one I never use (I keep it open to get an insurance discount), a Chase Visa with a $2800 0% APR transfer sitting on it, and a Sallie Mae MasterCard that I pay off every month. Only other debt is a $4800 left on my auto loan.

My only thought was that I opened my Sallie Mae account about 9 months ago, and my USAA account may also look new because they just switched the account from MasterCard to Visa, which cancelled my old card and I was provided with a new one. So it may look like I have two new accounts in the last 9 months?

Maybe they aren't comfortable with my current credit limits? Between my three cards I have a limit of $21K against a $50K/year salary.

While I don't need the card, it would have been convenient since I try to do as much shopping at Costco as possible, and getting them gas rewards would have been nice.

You can always call and ask why, although apparently they are swamped right now. I doubt the USAA would show as new.

Baddog
May 12, 2001
Holy poo poo citi's customer service is bad. I guess I've been spoiled dealing mostly with amex.

gently caress ever doing anything except minspend through them.

Baddog
May 12, 2001
I like the fidelity visa for easy 2% on everything. I have a lot of cards, but it's the default if I'm not working on min spend or don't have a five percent category.

Honestly gently caress dealing with citi, their support is the worst.

The fidelity is moving from fia (boa) to elan (us bank). We'll see if the service turns terrible. Never had a us bank card before.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Medullah posted:

I've gotten to the point where I stopped using my credit cards for the most part and my older ones (10+ years) have begun closing due to lack of use. It doesn't bother me much, my Discover card I got when I had terrible credit and had a 29% APR with a $20,000 limit, so I didn't even carry it with me.

However, I'm at the point now where I only have two actual credit cards - the Amazon Visa and an American Express Blue card. Both of those are relatively low limit cards ($5k-$7k). Will I be suffering if I don't have a high "available credit" card on my credit report? Should I ask for a limit increase on one of them? I generally don't carry a balance, but use the Amazon card exclusively and pay it off monthly just to get the Amazon points.

Or would it be a better idea to explore a different card option now that I have good credit and a very realistic debt/income ratio?

The best thing for your credit is to call up discover and see if you can get that 20k 10 year line opened up again. Set up amazon allowance to put a buck on it every 9 months or so and forget it if you don't want to use it.

You should get a better card for everyday spend. I like the fidelity 2%, but the citi double cash seems like the thread favorite.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

THF13 posted:

An account closed in good standing will still continue to age and should stay on your credit report for ~10 more years. It does lower your available credit immediately though which will increase your utilization, but this isn't a big deal either if you have other cards.

Closing a card is not a big deal at all.

It might, depending on if the scorecard never changes.

But 10 years is not *that* long, at least from the perspective of middle age. I wish I hadn't let the card lapse that I used in college.

It takes almost no effort to keep a card active that doesn't cost you anything.

Baddog
May 12, 2001
Amex offers are one per card per lifetime (more like seven years supposedly). So probably no for them. I don't think I would risk using a hard pull unless you are just curious and dont care.

There are other banks that don't give a poo poo though. Supposedly you can still get tons of the boa alaska airlines. Or any of the boa cards, but I think alaska might be the only worthwhile. I got three citi aa cards before they wised up.

Usually you have to wait a year or two to get the signup offer again.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Medullah posted:

"I BOUGHT THIS TV FOR 18 MONTHS NO PAYMENTS!" "No, ma'am, read the terms, you bought it 18 months no interest with payments."

I have a friend whose wife supposedly has an economics degree. She bought a car and was very surprised when she got a bill the next month. The concept of "no interest != no payments" is a toughie I guess.

quote:

"Now, it could be argued that paying C&B prices to begin with is pretty much throwing money away. "

I suppose there might be an arguable position somewhere around there.

Baddog
May 12, 2001
You can buy money orders with the visa cards and then deposit the money order in the bank. The costs and time start to add up, and I've never done it, but that's supposedly the main way to ms now. For 6 percent it could be worth it with some volume, although seems it's primarily a way to hit a lot of signup bonuses.

Gotta be the right visa card I think though? Vanilla?

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Vox Nihili posted:

Anyone else get this? I just got a $150 credit offer on my BoA card if I call in and then start using it again ($500 spend):

Of course they offer this to me just as my Sapphire Reserve shows up. It's already going to be tough to hit my $4k spend on that and I really don't want to pull any shady bullshit to make it happen, either.

$150, though...

Predictit redeposit :)

Baddog
May 12, 2001

asur posted:

Is there a fee to deposit into Predictit with a credit card?

5% on withdrawal, so its not like you can MS it.

I know vox just took his roll out and said he was done for a bit, so I was just suggesting this might be a sign to get some money back on.

Baddog
May 12, 2001
Nice work!

I was gathering up airline miles for first class to asia as well, and then I realized that it is so goddamn hard to get three first class seats on the same flight. Seems hard to even get two some times! And my kid isn't old enough to appreciate it anyways. So I just switched to hotels after getting southwest companion.

Although I think it is worth it to to pay for IHG ambassador (with points), and maybe ebay some more of the weekend bogo certificates instead of using reward nights. At least at the intercontinentals in asia, the upgrades, club level amenities, and service were really drat good. We stayed in some monster suites at some of the best hotels I've ever been at for an average of ~$120/night (+the points to buy ambassador status).

Baddog
May 12, 2001

ilkhan posted:

Can you just got back and forth between the csr and CSP, just get the new card and close the old one, repeat after 12 months?

I'm thinking mix in the various platinum cards for some variety.

Baddog
May 12, 2001
Now that fidelity is a visa, I think it should be the default choice for cash back.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Space Gopher posted:

The breakeven number for grocery spending is about $3,200/yr - the Amex Blue Cash Everyday gives 3% back on groceries with no annual fee.

Just want to also point out that grocery stores also sell giftcards to almost everything, and krogers-chain stores give 2x or 4x fuel points on giftcards. I always get a buck/gallon off of gas, as well as the 6% off of the giftcards.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

THF13 posted:

Nope. If you close a credit card in good standing it remains on your credit report for ~10 years so I wouldn't worry too much about closing it. Don't close it if it's still your only credit card, get a standard credit card before you do so you don't have $0 in available credit when applying for a new card.

counterpoint: I wish I had kept my first credit card open all these years, because a 25 year old line of credit would really balance out all these cards I'm churning.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

USAA has a 2.5% cashback on everything card. Have to be a USAA member for it though (Military or family).

wow I hadn't heard of this. looks like its only available right now in LA, NM, KS, ID, PA, SC and WA.

Kind of a weird mix of states.

Baddog
May 12, 2001
Ameriprise plat was good.

I'm thinking get the Mercedes Benz one next.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Elysium posted:

Just because you mentioned the Maui Hyatt, there is a Chase Hyatt card where the sign up is 2 free nights in ANY Hyatt with no restrictions, so that's a really good way to go if you're looking to book a few nights vacation somewhere amazing (any of the tier 7 Hyatts).

If you like to ski, I can recommend the park hyatt beavercreek for those 2 nights (4 with a partner). The rooms aren't super amazing or anything (I was kinda like wtf people pay $800/night for this?), but its ridiculously nice to be literally right off the main lift. You step out of the hotel in the morning, a dude hands you your skis, and you step into the gondola. And beavercreek is pretty drat good skiing.

People try to book the Andaz Maui with those nights as well, but I guess its super restricted availability and they give you poo poo rooms.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Yeah we had considered this one, but if you have a Costco card you know how tempting it is to just take the 4% there (2% on executive membership, 2% on your card) instead, making it pretty hard to get to $3000 in OTHER grocery spending. It's nice Aldi lets you use an Amex now, though.

mmm you're getting that 2% on exec membership no matter what card you use. Although its not like you're gonna get grocery points at costco right, it codes as a discount warehouse no? I've just been using a 2% cash card there.

But the better choice for amazon spending all along has been the blue cash 6% grocery card, buy amazon gift cards, use grocery points to get a buck off gas to more than pay for the annual fee.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Elysium posted:

Are there any problems with this plan (assuming there is enough availability)?:

8 people get Chase Hyatt credit cards (signup bonus 2 free nights at any Hyatt).
We each book a double queen bed room at one of the super high end Hyatts, for 2 nights over 2 sets of consecutive days.
We all stay 4 nights for free, or more if we put more people per room.

Some high end (looking at the andaz maui) wont have availability to book 4 rooms at the same time (and again back to back) under the free night deal. Actually it might be just the andaz maui. I'd go ahead and be straight up with customer support and ask if they can help you do the 8 bookings at once, instead of trying to do eight different calls and the plan falling apart on the last one.

Baddog
May 12, 2001
hmm i havent seen new paperwork or a new card. I only put a buck on it a year though.

Baddog
May 12, 2001
I have a good amount of points on AA, the problem is the limited amount of cheap SAAVER seats they offer. I need 3, and it seems like 2 is the most they have on the popular routes.

It really devalues their points for me. Single guys can fly to dubai or wherever in first for the same amount of points i need to get three people to florida in steerage.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

pseudanonymous posted:

Yeah, it's like 3200 on groceries, I'm not sure I spend enough to justify that card, Amex keeps asking me (I am single, do things like freshly and costco a lot). For some people I'm sure it's great.

Buy amazon gift cards at the grocery store to hit the max / year.

Get them at the grocery stores that give you 4x fuel points on gift cards, and you pretty much always have a dollar off gas.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Small White Dragon posted:

I actually did this recently, apparently they call the OG Freedom "Freedom with Ultimate Rewards" fyi.

Quoting this one cus I'm gonna need it in about 9 months, and will hopefully remember "Freedom with Ultimate Rewards" as a product switch from the CSR.

So I've got the 5/24 decks nearly cleaned for wife and I. Can get 8 offers here over the next 2 years. I just got an ink and a CSR, what else should I be eyeballing? Was kind of thinking load up on Chase.

we also have:
2% fidelity for day to day
old school blue cash to max out every year on groceries (although my gas purchases are way down, so I've kind of lost utility on this)
amazon card
2 hyatts and 2 ihgs I maintain just for the "free" nights
got rid of the old starwood (rip, westins are my favorite chain, but goddamn those points got devalued into the ground, forget marriott).

And hey, we have a new year BFC feedback thread up here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4020879

Baddog
May 12, 2001
Getting extra into a Roth with credit card points is a pretty cool trick. So you need to accumulate a ton of amex subs, then cap it off with the Schwab plat and rip them the points out before having to pay the 2nd annual fee eh. The regular no-fee Schwab card doesn't let you do it?

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Unsinkabear posted:

You'd have to do the Schwab one last, so assuming you only want to pay one annual fee at a time, there's a bit of a gamble there. The extra 10% at Schwab and/or the IRA grey area could both change in three years.

That's also a long time to hold that many points, I'd be worried about amex loving with the value.

The loophole getting closed is prolly the biggest risk!

Being able to deposit an extra 5K or more in 3 years for doing a couple credit card signups would be very nice.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Josh Lyman posted:

How much do I need to travel before I should look into getting a Amex Gold/Platinum or Chase Sapphire Preferred/Reserve? I've always thought cash back cards were better but apparently I've been doing the math wrong. My biggest spends are bars/restaurants (where I get 4%) and Costco (where I get 3%), and I have a Citi Double Cash for everything else. I live in Washington DC so both Delta, which is an Amex partner, and Southwest, which is a Chase partner, would work.

For my Labor Day trip to Chicago, it's $228 in cash for either airline, which would require $5,700 in restaurant spend with my current CC. On Southwest, it's 13,866 points + $11.20, so with Chase Sapphire getting 3 pt/$ on dining, that ticket would require $4,633. On Delta, it's 15,000 points + $11.20, so with Amex Gold getting 4 pt/$ on dining, that ticket would require $3,761.

Is my math right? I currently only fly 2 or 3 times per year but that may be going up slightly. But even with my cheapest trip, the difference would cover the annual fee.

Hotels are a bit more tricky since I have access to a federal employee portal which gets me hotels at government rates. It's not always cheaper than something like Booking.com, especially in NYC, but for the Chicago trip I was able to get a 4 star hotel for 40% lower than booking through the hotel website.

CSP has a 90,000 point offer right now (if you apply in branch). That's enough for a bunch of tickets, way more than the first years annual fee.

And then you can figure out if it is worth it for you to continue holding it. I'm in the process of rotating through the products to get all the intro points, but I think I might end up with my wife holding a chase sapphire reserve for the long term.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baddog
May 12, 2001
Hey Josh, people are still getting the CSP 90k in branch, at least as of today.